Do you guys think the Shibutanis will be in the final flight at worlds for the FD? | Golden Skate

Do you guys think the Shibutanis will be in the final flight at worlds for the FD?

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Do you guys think the Shibutanis will be in the final flight at worlds for the FD?

I have been pondering this the last few days and i`m not sure the europeans are still pissed by their medal last year and the judges didn`t exactly buy the changes to their SD at 4cc i`ve always thought that some of the scores in the SD are a direct relation to how the judges percieve the strength of the team`s FD i can say with clear certainty that V&M, D&W, P&B, W&P will be in the final barring a major mistake in the SD now the last spot will be close you have B&S the Shibs and in my book the wildcard I&K i truly believe they can make a move here they had a great FD at europeans despite not being in the final flight with that in mind i think their SD could score alot higher and the russian Fed may switch their support to them at the last minute.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There are six slots in the final group. So there are actually two spots left when you factor in the four couples you mentioned above.

I think B&S are not as much as a threat to the Shibs as they were maybe early in the season. I&K seems to be getting some momentum, so maybe they could pass the Shibs in the SD.

I think the couple to watch is actually the Italians, Cappellini and Lanotte. Their SD is quite impressive.

So I'd say the Shibs might have to fight to get in the final group, but I think they will get there. Also, the Shibs have done more work with Corky Ballas, which tells me they're tweaking the SD even more than we saw at 4CC and Nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought they were only 5 teams in the final flight for dance are you sure?

Hm, I guess it is five. I guess I was thinking about the layout for ladies and men.

In any case my thought still stands -- they will probably have to fight for it and I believe with the Italians and not so much the Russians, but I think they will get there.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
It will be very close probably the reason why they are making so many changes i`m sure they wished their FD would have been stronger it really pales in comparison to some of the top teams.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It will be very close probably the reason why they are making so many changes i`m sure they wished their FD would have been stronger it really pales in comparison to some of the top teams.

I know people aren't fans of their FD, but I don't think it's as terrible as everyone thinks it is. The tech is actually very strong in this dance. They are surely getting docked on their PCS (and I agree with this) because I think they could so better in some of the presentation details (though SS is solid as always). But they have scored 90+ on that FD all season long. Even at 4CC when Alex was clearly about to die and Maia had to sell the program for both of them, they still managed to score 94+. That's pretty respectable.

Which is why I think this team will be fine. They — and their team — seem to have a good sense of what they need to work on and they always do a good job tweaking. A great example of this is when they had back to back competitions in the GP season. Even though they had to turn around a compete a weak later, they still managed to make tweaks while practicing on foreign ice rinks.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think so.
Virtue/Moier
Davis/White
Pechelat/Bourzat
Weaver/Poje

are likely to place ahead of them, but I still think they are likely to place ahead of Ilynikh/Katsalapov and Bobrova/Soloviev. Unless they make mistakes, of course. Anyways, even if the two Russian teams beat them in the SD, they usually falter a bit in the FD, so I think the Shibs should still come out on top overall. Also, there's a chance they could beat Wever/Poje in the SD, because that team's strength this season is really the FD.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I agree, though i`m not sure if the euros can stomatch only one team in the final flight the russians i think will be politicking hard to get one of their teams in the final flight and they have against maia and Alex calling them junior skaters in interviews with Zhulin and Stavinski.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Don`t think they will beat Weaver and Poje in the SD which is also a strenght unless Kaitlyn and Andrew lose some levels the judges have given them higher PCS all year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree, though i`m not sure if the euros can stomatch only one team in the final flight the russians i think will be politicking hard to get one of their teams in the final flight and they have against maia and Alex calling them junior skaters in interviews with Zhulin and Stavinski.

They can politic all they want (and they have done quite a bit, especially B/S's coach), but the fact is the judges aren't buying it. B/S season best was in Cup in China, when they beat the Shibs last.

It seems that B/S coach is more bent on complaining about being underscored then actually improving some of the issues her team has.

I/K beat the Shibs in the SD at NHK only to score well below them in the FD. The other thing is the judges are noticing that they are unmatched team, which is why they have become Russia No. 2. B/S may have issues but they don't have the matching issues I/K does.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Don`t think they will beat Weaver and Poje in the SD which is also a strenght unless Kaitlyn and Andrew lose some levels the judges have given them higher PCS all year.

No I don't see the Shibs beating them in the SD either. But that's more reflective of W/P turning in a strong SD and less on the Shibs turning in an less good one.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No I don't see the Shibs beating them in the SD either. But that's more reflective of W/P turning in a strong SD and less on the Shibs turning in an less good one.

Shibs can still make the final flight if Weaver/Poje beat them though, like I pointed out earlier. I am pretty sure W/P will beat Shibs overall, and in the SD too, but there FD is really amazing and that's more what I was trying to say, it's gonna be really hard for the Shibs to beat them in the FD and in SD it probably won't happen but odds are better. I still think they will beat both Russian teams personally, and end up in 5th.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
B&S beat the french in the SD at euros which was weird since B&S is quite awful and not latin how did that happen maybe some of the politicking is working.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
B&S beat the french in the SD at euros which was weird since B&S is quite awful and not latin how did that happen maybe some of the politicking is working.

Perhaps, but Euros is not the same as worlds.

As I said, I think C/L from Italy will actually present the bigger threat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Shibs can still make the final flight if Weaver/Poje beat them though, like I pointed out earlier. I am pretty sure W/P will beat Shibs overall, and in the SD too, but there FD is really amazing and that's more what I was trying to say, it's gonna be really hard for the Shibs to beat them in the FD and in SD it probably won't happen but odds are better. I still think they will beat both Russian teams personally, and end up in 5th.

Yeah, I think that's where the Shibs will end up also, barring any big mistakes like we saw last year. I think staying top five with such a deep field is a respectable goal. W/P definitely made huge strides and P/B is pretty much the established No. 3 by far.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I agree about Cappellini and lanotte is there an italian judge in the panel if its walter Zuccaro all bets are off lol!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I have been pondering this the last few days and i`m not sure the europeans are still pissed by their medal last year and the judges didn`t exactly buy the changes to their SD at 4cc i`ve always thought that some of the scores in the SD are a direct relation to how the judges percieve the strength of the team`s FD i can say with clear certainty that V&M, D&W, P&B, W&P will be in the final barring a major mistake in the SD now the last spot will be close you have B&S the Shibs and in my book the wildcard I&K i truly believe they can make a move here they had a great FD at europeans despite not being in the final flight with that in mind i think their SD could score alot higher and the russian Fed may switch their support to them at the last minute.

The biggest issue here is that the Russian Fed really has no idea who to support. I/K are terrible at earning levels, and in the short dance, that's pretty important. Indeed, between the Shibs, C/L, I/K and B/S, the two Russian teams are the ones who are likely gonna make the errors with the levels.

P/B got hammered on levels.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The biggest issue here is that the Russian Fed really has no idea who to support. I/K are terrible at earning levels, and in the short dance, that's pretty important. Indeed, between the Shibs, C/L, I/K and B/S, the two Russian teams are the ones who are likely gonna make the errors with the levels.

Indeed, that's why I think the Shibs will stay in the final group. The Shibs had some issues with their levels earlier this season, but have managed to keep their levels high since then.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I would Support I&K without question if i was them Elena could really become one of the true russian divas of the sport in the vain of Krylova, Navka and Grishuk.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I don`t think P&B are number 3 by far their scores with their teammates are getting closer with each competition they still have the PCS advantage over W&P but the TES has closed and Weaver and Poje may even have the edge there.