Should Gracie or Caroline or Agnes or Mirai replace Alissa for Worlds? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Should Gracie or Caroline or Agnes or Mirai replace Alissa for Worlds?

tampro1

Rinkside
I wasn't impressed with Czisny at Nationals either. She is SO slow and it is agonizing to watch her approach each jump hesitantly. IMO, she was majorly held up in the SP and that was what kept her in 2nd place overall.

Alissa deserved her Nationals win last year, but she just isn't the same skater this year---she seems to have a good year-bad year cycle. Unfortunately, I believe last year was her peak year: she will be 25 in June, so it's going to be a downhill trend for Alissa from here on.

I know what you mean. I sat in the 7th row from the ice and you could literally see the stress in Alissa's face going into her jumps. In fact, you can see all the skaters' approaches and faces so closely that you can tell when the jump is going to fail. She was so tense and lost the freedom in her skating. Of course that dreadful LP music made her seem even slower. But going back to the topic, Alissa placed 2nd and she should go to worlds unless she is injured. Agnes could put some big numbers up with her speed and jumps, but she needs more consistency and better packaging overall.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline probably should have been 2nd at Nationals. So since the judges placed Alissa 2nd, the USFSA will just have to suck it up and hope she skates well enough to get the US 3 slots for next year.

Zhang was in no way "held down". She still has much improvement that needs to be made on the blade to ice side.

I understand arguing Zhang should have been 3rd (over Zawadzki who, despite the great SP, fell apart in the FS) but 2nd? Nah...Don't think she is there yet.

If you notice, all arguments concerning Caroline revolve around weather she was held down or not. There are never any arguments that she received favors from National judges.
Anyway, if she doesn’t go to Worlds, at least I hope she gets the World Team Trophy again. :points:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Going forward, I wonder if the USFSA is considering any changes to the selection process, particularly whether to delay selecting the World team until after 4CC just to have another data point. This might conflict with the policy to give many skaters an opportunity at international events; if they sent Alyssa to 4CC to confirm her spot for Worlds then one of the 3 ladies who went would have missed the competition. Furthermore, despite her jump problems, she is still getting the best international results of any US woman (aside from maybe Ashley, but it's close). While I'd like to see a stronger skater on the World team, I cannot envision a policy that puts Agnes or Caroline on the team ahead of Alissa.

krenseby

Final Flight
If you notice, all arguments concerning Caroline revolve around weather she was held down or not. There are never any arguments that she received favors from National judges.
Anyway, if she doesn’t go to Worlds, at least I hope she gets the World Team Trophy again. :points:

Well in Caroline's defense, I thought her movement in the SP was praiseworthy. I don't mean in terms of speed; on that front she has quite a bit to go. But the skating itself, even if slow, seemed to have smoothness and flow to it. However, she was not able to replicate that sense of smoothness and flow in the LP. I believe the SP was noticeably better in terms of speed, flow, and smoothness than the LP.

As for Alissa, I know that she can glide so beautifully and effortlessly across the ice; I feel bad about the fact that there are times when she doesn't achieve this. Would you guys agree with me that both the ISU and the USFSA recognize Alissa's skating skills as superb?

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for Alissa, I know that she can glide so beautifully and effortlessly across the ice; I feel bad about the fact that there are times when she doesn't achieve this.

I feel it's negated by her complete lack of confidence on the ice.

Last year was a bit better but still, you have to OWN the ice, or at least act like you do. Wagner is doing this and that's part of the reason for her newfound success...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I would agree that Alissa's skating skills get the highest marks, but that is one part of a program. She seldom puts together a program that is complete. Do you want to watch her programs over and over? List 5 programs short or long you want us to watch and enjoy as complete, well skated programs. Ok, 4. I'm being kinder. Ashley was under marked in the past. I agree Alissa has a quality to her skating that can be beautiful and precise, but jumping is a nightmare for her. You must look at the total picture. Ashley should be outscoring her. If Alissa is coming up with high PCS marks despite messing up everything but her spins and spiral, then the system is not right.

I'd much rather watch Ashley as she is more complete though I can't say she is fabulous in all respects. Evan is not the best at jumping, but he has almost "everything" as they pointed ut at the Olympics. He can compete, and he is good at everything. So is Ashley. Her confidence hurtle has been jumped. I expect her to improve and I expect a good skate at Worlds. May she just be cool and not get ahead of herself and worry too much about a podium finish.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Do you want to watch her programs over and over?

No. Her programs actually bore me to tears. I find her performance quality beautiful and graceful but having no spark whatsoever. Whereas Michelle and Sasha experimented with different musical styles, there is a "sameness" to all of Alissa's music and choreography. Her programs are much like Yuka's as an amateur: pleasant choreography, smooth skating, but lacking some excitement.

Having said that, the only American skater whose programs this season I have watched again is Ashley. To me there is a big gap in performance quality between her and all the other American skaters. I know some people don't like her arms in the spiral, but at least she is trying to do something different.

Do you want to watch her programs over and over?

Here is my all time favorite Alissa.

Will you start the music already?! :laugh: The guy in red following her with a camera is Dan Hollander. He plays Santa Claus in the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQZ2NiFrbI

And here's the performance. Great amateur camera work! The silver column in the middle is a stand for a big Christmas tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9fgAC5pjTo

Here's another. :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0c16_lYtQ

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Her programs actually bore me to tears. I find her performance quality beautiful and graceful but having no spark whatsoever. Whereas Michelle and Sasha experimented with different musical styles, there is a "sameness" to all of Alissa's music and choreography. Her programs are much like Yuka's as an amateur: pleasant choreography, smooth skating, but lacking some excitement.

Having said that, the only American skater whose programs this season I have watched again is Ashley. To me there is a big gap in performance quality between her and all the other American skaters. I know some people don't like her arms in the spiral, but at least she is trying to do something different.

I hate what Ashley does with her arms when she does her spiral in the LP. It just looks bizarre and out of place.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Interesting. I love what Ashley does with her arms during the spiral. It fits the music perfectly and is completely congruent with the story.

I think the problem with the gestures is that they don't blend with what's going on in the rest of the interpretation. They just show up and then are not heard from again. I don't mind them, though. That performance is a delight to watch, and I hope she can muster up every ounce of it at Worlds. Go for it, Ashley.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Add me to the list of people who love the arm movements in Ashley's spiral. They go perfectly with the music and (to me anyway) they signify the transformation to Odile...I think it's pretty brilliant, but to each his own...

^ I always thought that the inspiration came from the Natalie Portman movie, when she starts feaking out, growing feathers, etc.