Joshua Farris: The Rising Prince of US Skating | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris: The Rising Prince of US Skating

silverlake22

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCfwMsZYwxc&feature=channel

He is an amazing skater. He looks like Prince Charming on the ice. Each move is so classic and he feels the music to his heart!

He needed his own thread! I agree, he is lovely. Great spins, great lines, nice, airy jumps, and a classical style that matches his classic good looks. I think he is just what the US men need, he is more elegant than Miner and a stronger jumper than Rippon. Of course I still like Dornbush. Also it seems he has a good work ethic and bounces back from disappointments quickly, which is good to see.

I could see a Weir-Lysacek like rivalry developing in the coming years between Jason Brown and Josh Farris, both of whom have competed against each other for years already, both of whom are very talented but very different skaters, just like Evan and Johnny. Further the similarities between Brown and Weir and Farris and Lysacek are clearly there. Should be interesting to watch.

I hope Josh choses to move up to the GP next season and will start trying the 4t in competition, as I know he's been training and landing them in practice for over a year now. I was very excited when he won silver at JW with that big score and hope it's an indicator of good things to come in the future.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, he is brilliant! The future of US men's skating appears to be in very capable hands with the likes of Joshua and Jason. Farris is such a beautiful and dynamic skater. I loved how his choreography really expressed all of the accents in his music! If he had done a 3 jump combination in that LP, he may be Jr. World Champ right now. He is such a phenomenal talent and I really look forward to seeing how he progresses.

macy

Record Breaker
i love him! his short program is just beautiful. he is so graceful. he's got a bright future.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I see Josh and Jason soon overtaking some of the Senior men like Miner and even Rippon. They have superior skills then most of the top US men now minus Jeremy but even he is not getting any younger. It's just a matter of getting experience and for Jason a triple axel.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope we see the quad from Josh next season, then he could really be a heavy hitter right off the bat! Does anyone know what his plans for next season are regarding GP vs. JGP? I mean I certainly think he's ready for GP, but his coaches are doing such a good job with him that if they have their own agenda and want him to do another season on the JGP then I would trust their judgement.

lcd

Match Penalty
He and Jason are the next generation of Evan and Johnny. Best wishes to them both.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I agree. I see Josh and Jason soon overtaking some of the Senior men like Miner and even Rippon. They have superior skills then most of the top US men now minus Jeremy but even he is not getting any younger. It's just a matter of getting experience and for Jason a triple axel.

Farris can definitely overtake all senior men in US at this point except Abbott. Anxiously waiting to see his smooth transition from Juniors to Seniors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe. Maybe not. I really do not agree that a statement like this can be defended at this point.

One question is whether Miner can develop his quad (or 2 quads). Miner has managed to medal at 4CC's (beating Rippon & Ten internationally), and to medal in a GP. So I don't expect him to be a pushover. Even not going to worlds, he will get 2 GPs, always a help in the PCS & perception battle. It's also important that he get 2 programs that suit him as well as Casablanca did.

And it has yet to be seen whether Farris can get some power in his skating & size in his jumps (of which he does not have enough at this time). This is less evident in juniors, but more clear when he is competing against seniors. And, like Miner, he needs the right programs to succeed.

I am not a big fan of Dornbush, but if he rebounds in the next season, Farris may have trouble passing him, too. USFS seems to adore him. He has landed one quad in competition, and has a nice 3A when he lands it, too.

Rippon needs to get his 3A consistent and a quad. I have doubts at this point that he will get them, but it is not impossible.

My fervent hope is that Rippon and Abbott have the skates of their lives at Worlds and thus the US gets 3 spots. However, if they succeed at that, they will have a leg up for next year.

In some ways, Abbott is the most vulnerable-not because he doesn't have the skills to do so, but because he is so wildly inconsistent.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer competitions and the early Senior B's (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Schaffer if it is scheduled), who goes, and how they do.