Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame

Dick Button is a lawyer and Harvard graduate - no wonder the letter is outstanding.

An interesting comment. That was the one thing I didn't like about Button's letter (especially the second one). It sounded like it was written by a lawyer. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Edited to add: Iceman over on FSU just posted this: Since Michelle will already be in Nice for the induction ceremony, she might as well skate in the World Championships. She might win three places for U.S. ladies. :)

wouldn't that disqualify her for the induction? ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
Perhaps but what about Rudy AND Kristy's success in pairs too. Rudy made top 5 at a world championship in two disciplines pairs and singles, that's really an impressive accomplishment.

Then you could argue that Kyoko Ina should be in the HOF, too since she competed in ladies' single and pairs. John Baldwin toiled away at Men's singles for years before going to great success in pairs. There are a lot of skaters who have acheived a level of success after changing their category of skating.

I understand the love for Rudy, but I agree that 1 National medal does not equate to HOF entry. His story is 'bigger' because it was such a surprise and he would have retired otherwise. The HOF is about acomplishments as related to skating and not necessarily related to overcoming social and financial hurdles. Rudy should certainly be proud of his US National title and his World bronze medal and early success in pairs, but many others have comparable recognition.

Yeah. I think his record in singles and pairs could get him into the U.S. Hall of Fame but not the World one. It's just not enough for a world reputation, considering the level of other contenders.