Gold lives up to the hype | Golden Skate

Gold lives up to the hype

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Gracie Gold's competition scores have hovered right around the high 160s and mid 170s all season long, and the consistent and confident skater isn't afraid to compete.

More

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the interesting article; what a lovely photo, too (I only wish she would uncover those boots!). It will be really interesting to find out what comps Gold will be at next year and her programs. I'm really looking forward to it!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Me too! As great as her year was, her scores will be even higher when she improves her speed and goes totally clean with her jumps. Lots to look forward to!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Lovely article and a beautiful picture of Gracie.

I'm a bit sad to hear that she is sticking with the same choreographer she had this year.

Ina Bauer

Spectator
Well regardless it is going to be an exciting season for her. I hope she gets to skate at Skate America.

(I only wish she would uncover those boots!).

ikr. (A word I learned form the young folks on this board :laugh: ) It looks like the skaters broke their ankles and the restorative surgery didn't go well. :)

Anyway, go Gracie!

emma

Record Breaker
ikr. (A word I learned form the young folks on this board :laugh: ) It looks like the skaters broke their ankles and the restorative surgery didn't go well. :)

Anyway, go Gracie!

Absolutely - Go Gracie (forgot that part earlier)!!! So, took me a few minutes...but, ikr = I know, right? (right? :biggrin:)

Puchi

On the Ice
Wow, this girl seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I like her attitude, she's highly competitive, level-headed and goal oriented and her team seems to be on the right track. I can't wait to see her compete at the (senior) Grand Prix next season.

macy

Record Breaker
thanks for the article. i'm so excited to see her improve over the next couple years. i hope her choreographer steps it up a notch this year. i'm sooo looking forward to her new programs, i really can't wait!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm a bit sad to hear that she is sticking with the same choreographer she had this year.

Well, a choreographer is only as good as the tools he has to work with. She isn't that skilled of a skater at this point. Having said that, the SP music in particular was the worst I've heard in years.

just wondering

On the Ice
Thanks for the interesting article; what a lovely photo, too (I only wish she would uncover those boots!). It will be really interesting to find out what comps Gold will be at next year and her programs. I'm really looking forward to it!

Maybe she's trying to hide them. I'm pretty sure she wears http://www.skatesus.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=149 (Sorry if I'm not supposed to link to them.)

Not a traditional look, but obviously very effective boots for her. :) I, too, can't wait to see what next year brings for her. I'm not really terribly concerned about the choreographer situation. Seems like her focus this year was on tech. A job well done, I must say. Now it sounds as though she's ready to branch out to other aspects of her performance. Will be interesting to watch.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just hated the SP music he picked for her, and fear he will pick something like that again next year.

just wondering

On the Ice
^ Oh, I wasn't even thinking of the music selection. AAAHhhhhhKKKK - that SP music was absolutely hideous! But Brown has been know to put together some good programs for skaters. According to IceNetwork, he choreographs for that spunky little Mariah Bell. So there's potential, I hope . . .

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe she's trying to hide them. I'm pretty sure she wears http://www.skatesus.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=149 (Sorry if I'm not supposed to link to them.)

Not a traditional look, but obviously very effective boots for her. :) I, too, can't wait to see what next year brings for her. I'm not really terribly concerned about the choreographer situation. Seems like her focus this year was on tech. A job well done, I must say. Now it sounds as though she's ready to branch out to other aspects of her performance. Will be interesting to watch.

Korobeynikova and Suzuki also wear that brand/design of boots and don't wear OTB tights and it looks fine, good even, certainly better than having them covered up. My guess is Gracie covers up her boots to give her a longer leg line, her legs are not that long for her height, which you can tell in her I-spin, so the OTB tights give the allusion of a longer leg line. I still think no one looks better with OTB tights though, no matter how long or short your legs may be. Hopefully she sports white boots next season.

I didn't particularly like either of her programs this season but now that she's US junior champion and won silver at JW, that will give her more street cred and I'm sure her choreographer will come up with something better for her than what she had this season. Also she needs a new costume designer, the cut of the SP dress was not flattering and her FS dress looks like it was made for her when she was 3 inches shorter and squishes her boobs. Sorry to be blunt but she's a gorgeous girl with a wonderfully fit, muscular physique, there's no reason for her to not look like a million bucks out on the ice, because she totally can easily with good costuming.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Oh, I wasn't even thinking of the music selection. AAAHhhhhhKKKK - that SP music was absolutely hideous! But Brown has been know to put together some good programs for skaters. According to IceNetwork, he choreographs for that spunky little Mariah Bell. So there's potential, I hope . . .

I think Mariah Bell could skate to the phone book and make it interesting. She just has that "IT" quality when she skates. Gracie needs to learn how to be more interesting as a skater sometimes it's not the choreographers fault. Either you have or it or don't.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Agreed about Bell, she really does have that "look at me" quality. Gracie does, too, just not when she competes.

fairly4

Medalist
nice article- i like it she is sure about herself and where she wants to go and how to do it.
kinda of like michelle knowing what she wanted and how to do it other than that no comparision.
gracie sounds like she wants to show herself off and not someone else. in other words being true to herself --nice.

yes -i think some other skaters started out and wasn't true to themselves. not naming names-

some athletes just do sport for other reasons and show s ides of themselves which are them but who they want people to think they are off and on field of play.
i like atheles who are themselves -like michelle, serena williams and others who are true to themselves no matter what-cost.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Another enjoyable article, thanks GS! :)

What stood out to me the most was Gracie's mentioning of "stories" (i.e. Michelle's Story, Sasha's Story), and how she's going to write her own story. :cool:

This immediately brought to mind a quote from one of my all-time favorite skaters, Oksana Baiul:

"When I am old and in my rocking chair, I don't want to open my book and say to my children or my grandchildren, 'okay, I have this World Championship Medal from 1993, and I have this Olympic Gold Medal from 1994', end of story. Of course I'm proud of those achievements, but I want to open my book and say...'I was a Swan...I was a Butterfly...I was a Flower'.

"It is not the scores or medals I want to remember, but my expression, the way I skated, the way I expressed myself."

Here's to Gracie's Story, as yet unwritten: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7k0a5hYnSI&ob=av3e :love: