Ladies 2nd Spot | Golden Skate

Ladies 2nd Spot

Which country will get that pesky 2nd (or 3rd) spot?!

• Canada: Amelie Lacoste

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • China: Kexin Zhang

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Estonia: Elena Glebova

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Finland: Juulia Turkkila

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • France: Yretha Silete

• Korea: Minjeong Kwak

• Sweden: Viktoria Helgesson

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • <KEEP 3> Russia: Polina Korebeynikova, Alena Leonova, Ksenia Makarova

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • <GET 3> USA: Alissa Czisny, Ashely Makarova

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • <GET 3> Italy: Carolina Kostner, Valentina Marchei

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icellist

On the Ice
While Japan will almost definitely keep their 3 ladies berths for next year's Worlds, the U.S.A. team striving to get that 3 spot again, and Russia determined to keep the 3 spots for the wunderkidz. Strangely enough, Italy has the possibility of getting 3 spots too with possible champion Carolina Kostner and promising Valentina Marchei (Challenge Cup!).

Many countries just want 2 spots to give their other skaters more exposure. To achieve 2 spots the skater must be in the top 10 or the team have a combined placement of 26(? check on this plz).

Canada is sending the new national champion Amelie Lacoste. Canada wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Amelie Lacoste, Cynthia Phaneuf, Kaetlyn Osmond
*Amelie Lacoste is planning on her 3L-3L combination!

China is sending the explosive Kexin Zhang. China wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Kexin Zhang, Zijun Li (to a lesser extent; Ziquan Zhao, Bingwa Geng)
*Kexin Zhang placed 5th at 4CC with a PB of 162.59

Estonia is sending the veteran Elena Glebova. Estonia wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Elena Glebova (barring retirement) and Gerli Liinamae
*Elena Glebova recently earned a new PB of 158.89 at the 2012 Haabersti Cup. Still improving after 10 seasons!

Finland is sending the beautiful Juulia Turkkila and Alisa Mikonsaari (must qualify first). Finland wants to keep 2 spots for next year's possible team: Juulia Turkkila, Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto (hopefully recovered!)
*Juulia Turkkila may add the 3L into her repertoire that already has a 3T-3T!

France is sending national champion Yretha Silete. France wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Yretha Silete and Mae Berenice Meite
*Yretha Silete 2A-3T combination is as strong as ever!

Korea is sending (recovering) Minjeong Kwak and Chaeyeon Suhr (must qualify first). Korea wants to keep 2 spots for next year's possible team: Minjeong Kwak, Haejin Kim, Soyoun Park
*Minjeong Kwak still has a huge 3Lz with the correct edge despite her injury!

Sweden is sending national champion Viktoria Helgesson. Sweden wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Helgesson sisters.
*Viktoria placed 5th at Euros with SB of 160.82

On another note, Georgia is sending national champion Elene Gedevanishvili. She keeps getting the 2nd spot but is always wasted.

Can someone fix the Ashley Makarova XD Sorry! Ashley Wagner!!!

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
For Russia and USA I am not sure, but I really think Japan will get 3. Asada (who can still get pretty good scores even if it is not her best performance) and Suzuki (who has had a wonderful season so far) will definitely finish top ten and probably have that 3rd spot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm thinking that Carolina & Valentina may manage to nab 3 spots for Italy. If Carolina wins, Valentina only has to finish 12th.

It would be ironic if with all the talent coming up in Russia this group didn't manage to get the three spots. The team is actually not that strong. Polina K is inexperienced, Makarova has no future unless in Canada according to this board, and Leonova is a journeywoman. I'm not sure they're going to come up with 13 points unless Polina makes a stunning debut.

I hope so! If she does, Russia will get its 3rd spot. But if she has a fit of nerves and places 9th, and Leonova 5th, and Makarova 8th or 10th, they're cooked.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Polina may rock the house

The key thing is that short program. It seems that is her weakness for whatever reason. She is great at making comebacks in the long, but given the relatively deep field, she cannot afford to be too far behind.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I hope so! If she does, Russia will get its 3rd spot. But if she has a fit of nerves and places 9th, and Leonova 5th, and Makarova 8th or 10th, they're cooked.

Leonova 5th, Makarova 8th = thirteen = three spots. But it's definitely gonna be close. Given how thoroughly Czisny was roasted in 2009, I wouldn't want to be the Russian lady responsible for the lost slot (yes, it takes two, but generally one shoulders the blame).

russell30

Final Flight
While Japan will almost definitely keep their 3 ladies berths for next year's Worlds, the U.S.A. team striving to get that 3 spot again, and Russia determined to keep the 3 spots for the wunderkidz. Strangely enough, Italy has the possibility of getting 3 spots too with possible champion Carolina Kostner and promising Valentina Marchei (Challenge Cup!).

Many countries just want 2 spots to give their other skaters more exposure. To achieve 2 spots the skater must be in the top 10 or the team have a combined placement of 26(? check on this plz).

Canada is sending the new national champion Amelie Lacoste. Canada wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Amelie Lacoste, Cynthia Phaneuf, Kaetlyn Osmond
*Amelie Lacoste is planning on her 3L-3L combination!

China is sending the explosive Kexin Zhang. China wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Kexin Zhang, Zijun Li (to a lesser extent; Ziquan Zhao, Bingwa Geng)
*Kexin Zhang placed 5th at 4CC with a PB of 162.59

Estonia is sending the veteran Elena Glebova. Estonia wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Elena Glebova (barring retirement) and Gerli Liinamae
*Elena Glebova recently earned a new PB of 158.89 at the 2012 Haabersti Cup. Still improving after 10 seasons!

Finland is sending the beautiful Juulia Turkkila and Alisa Mikonsaari (must qualify first). Finland wants to keep 2 spots for next year's possible team: Juulia Turkkila, Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto (hopefully recovered!)
*Juulia Turkkila may add the 3L into her repertoire that already has a 3T-3T!

France is sending national champion Yretha Silete. France wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Yretha Silete and Mae Berenice Meite
*Yretha Silete 2A-3T combination is as strong as ever!

Korea is sending (recovering) Minjeong Kwak and Chaeyeon Suhr (must qualify first). Korea wants to keep 2 spots for next year's possible team: Minjeong Kwak, Haejin Kim, Soyoun Park
*Minjeong Kwak still has a huge 3Lz with the correct edge despite her injury!

Sweden is sending national champion Viktoria Helgesson. Sweden wants 2 spots for next year's possible team: Helgesson sisters.
*Viktoria placed 5th at Euros with SB of 160.82

On another note, Georgia is sending national champion Elene Gedevanishvili. She keeps getting the 2nd spot but is always wasted.

Can someone fix the Ashley Makarova XD Sorry! Ashley Wagner!!!

Love the post, very interesting.

Not sure will have to think but Japan lock in for 3, USA i would say yes to get the 3, hoping for Vika to get 2 for Sweden and maybe Yrethe 2 for france. Russia - not sure- be a shame for finland to lose 2 places but I have a feeling they will only have 1 for next year. But at least its not an olympic year when world's 2013 matter the most.

Are you sure that Yu Na is not in the frame next year? for Korea or is she sitting out until her decision in fall of 2013?

Alissa 3rd :), Ashley 6th.

Carolina 1st, Valentina 11th

Victoria H. 8th.

Kexin Z. 10th

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
Glebova said she would compete till Sochi, her new training camp is working for her.

Korpi wants to skate until Sochi too, I should imagine Kostner too.

We will have to wait later on in the year if Ando and Lepisto return?

not sure on YuNa - she's won OG so not sure if desire would be there - also with Rochette Not sure - but I know she has been keeping up her technical content so we just don't know?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It would be ironic if with all the talent coming up in Russia this group didn't manage to get the three spots. The team is actually not that strong. Polina K is inexperienced, Makarova has no future unless in Canada according to this board, and Leonova is a journeywoman. I'm not sure they're going to come up with 13 points unless Polina makes a stunning debut.

you are underestimating Polina.
she was undersetimated at Euros and she finished 4th in her first senior debut

npavel

On the Ice
I think Italy gets the third spot and USA too. Not so sure for Sweden, Viktorias last competition at Challenge Cup with 142.4 was far worst than Czisny