Dancing with the Stars | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dancing with the Stars

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are reports that Melissa G. hit her head last night and had to be taken to the hospital. I don't remember of seeing a fall but I wonder if that's when Maks fell over??

There are reports that Melissa G. hit her head last night and had to be taken to the hospital. I don't remember of seeing a fall but I wonder if that's when Maks fell over??

That's a possibility. I hope she's okay. To get whiplash after back surgery can't be helpful.

I have decided that my favorite contestant of all is Roshon. Golly, that kid throws himself into it, and he's got such grace and quickness. I'd love to see him win.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympia, I like Roshon too. I hope he gets far into the competition. I also wish that Gladys could win but for some reason it doesn't seem like she has the following. I would love to see her win.

I do love Gladys also. This woman is genuine pop music royalty, and she moves gracefully in her dances here. She also has a delightful wit and sense of humor. If she makes it to the final, that would be swell.

By the way, I think Brooke Burke (Charvet) has improved in her announcing skills. Her voice seems less nasal and monotonous, and she's actually saying some more spontaneous things. Maybe she's had some training, or maybe she's just relaxing and figuring out how to do this.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got home late last night but saw the end of the show and what a shocker....Sherri Shepherd was sent home. I was totally not expecting that.

I think Mark Ballas is an astonishing choreographer. The Argentine Tango he created for Katherine J. this week is a masterpiece. It makes such beautiful shapes and patterns with the leg movements, and it tells a story powerfully.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it was a big shocker that Gavin DeGraw was sent home. What I liked about him is it looked like he gave dancing his best but he just wasn't a dancer. I am so glad that Gladys & Melissa are still in.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I think Mark Ballas is an astonishing choreographer. The Argentine Tango he created for Katherine J. this week is a masterpiece. It makes such beautiful shapes and patterns with the leg movements, and it tells a story powerfully.

Totally agree! It was a wonderful quiet moment in the middle of a lot of noise! So much like a Gene Kelly piece!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Len has said to Gladys...I admire you so much.... but I think Gladys will be going home. At 68, she is remarkable. William looked quite good last night!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Maks, oops I mean Melissa.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gladys was such a class act....I'm sorry she had to leave.

I agree. I wish she could have stayed, but I think Roshon has far more potential. The way this show works, though, Gladys is now and forever a part of the show, and she'll return as a singer more than once, I'm sure--as well as returning for the final show. She was really an inspired choice as a contestant. Of all the Sixties Motown ladies, she seemed most able to step up to the plate as a dancer. You could see that everyone, from the judges to the other dancers to Tom B., was so fond of her. What a lovely temperament she seems to have. She's a great performer and a good sport.

As for Roshon, what a find! This guy flings himself at every challenge and soaks up instruction like a sponge. And he has such an appealing stage presence. He's like Romeo from a season or two ago, only even more enthusiastic. I hope he stays until the finale, although with sparklers like Katherine J., William Levy, and now Jaleel White, I'm not sure there's a lot of room at the top.

I'm not big on football, so I never know the players who compete on the show. (So far, Emmit Smith has been my favorite, largely because of his dancing style and his personality.) So I didn't know this Donald Driver. What is a receiver, anyway? So I went onto Wiki to learn a bit more about him. (I still don't know what a receiver is.) To my astonishment, I learned that this guy is an absolute charity machine. He's active with Goodwill Industries and all sorts of other organizations, especially in Wisconsin, including a children's hospital. Then listen to this: "In the spring of 2001, Donald and his wife Betina created the 'Donald Driver Foundation,' which offers assistance to ill children with unmanageable hospital bills, provides housing for the homeless, and donates to a variety of local charities. In December 2003, the foundation put two previously homeless families in new, fully furnished homes."

In 2001, Driver was about 26. And he figured out how to do this. Pretty awesome.

A receiver is a player who catches ("receives") the ball when it is thrown by the quarterback and advances it down the field.

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/0/7/7/7/7/webimg/591489.jpg

A wide receiver (or "wideout") is a receiver that lines up way off to the sidelines, away from the other players. A receiver who lines up in tight, right next to the other players in the line, is a "tight end." :)

Thanks, Math. This makes me realize that I really don't understand football at all. Thank goodness for Dancing with the Stars, or I wouldn't know any players' names. Does every player on the team have a different name? I guess I shouldn't think this is so confusing. After all, in baseball (which I do understand), every player has the name of his field position and plays that position every time. Hey, why don't baseball players become contestants on DWTS?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My guess is most baseball players are playing during the time DwtS is on tv... whereas the football season happens before/after DwtS.

And the players, for the most part, all have different positions, however there are several players on the team for each position.

The next question is, why are the tennis players so bad? Monica Selles and Martina navratalova were both the first ones out.

How about when Driver hurtled over the two ladies at the end of his routine? :eek: He must have thought they were defensive linemen. :laugh:

After all, in baseball (which I do understand), every player has the name of his field position and plays that position every time.

If you are involved in co-ed slowpitch softball, there is a tenth position, called "rover" (in my part of the country it is also called "wolfman" for some reason). That's where you usually put your second-best girl, the best girl being the pitcher. The rover plays short left field against right-handed batters, short right against lefties. :)

I was kind of rooting for Katherine, but at that stage, any one of the three finalists would have been a worthy winner. So I'm happy. The nice thing about that show is that everyone who competes, especially the ones who do well, gets adopted by the show. So several former contestants, including Kyle Massey, are now performing in the DWTS Vegas show. I suspect that Roshon will be invited to be in that show or in the all-star version that's planned for the fall TV season. (I loved Roshon! It was great to see him do his freestyle tonight.)

What a fun season. Everyone did so well. As usual, I found the choreography by Derek Hough and Mark Ballas the most exciting to watch. For the rest of the contestants, each of them had some lovely little surprise to offer, from Gladys Knight's easy grace to Roshon's fast feet and sunny disposition. One moment I especially enjoyed last night was Katherine's starting one routine by doing her own singing. And then we got to hear Gladys singing tonight! Extra goodies all around.