Dancing with the Stars | Golden Skate

Dancing with the Stars

Anyone watching? Was that Yuks Sato sitting with Kristi Yamaguchi in the audience?

OK, so it's between the blond opera singer and Urkel, right?

Yes! He wrapped up the show, and he was outstanding, believe it or not!

I haven't watched in a long time but I tuned it in for Melissa Gilbert, who I used to think was a beautiful actress. She was a bit disappointing, but I was amazed at how many of the stars could actually dance and perform. The best dancer IMO was the kid, Roshon (? never heard of him), followed by Urkel--oops, make that Jaleel White--and the beautiful Brit Katherine Jenkins. The outstanding personalities were Gladys Knight and Martina Navratilova. And "the Latin Brad Pitt" William Levy (the one with the biceps) was blink-your-eyes gorgeous.

I was tickled to see Gladys Knight since only last month she was singing to the skating of Sasha Cohen, Miki Ando, and Joannie Rochette.

heyang

Record Breaker
My favorites of the night were Jaleel White and Gladys. As Len said, Gladys oozed naturalness and the Pips approved! Jaleel was also surprisingly smooth.

I also thought the football player had a lot of potential - good energy, just needs to improve technique and control.

Overall, it was a good start. No one was totally cringe inducing.

Kristi tweeted a picture of herself - gorgeous as always. http://yfrog.com/odrl2aoj

All My Chidren's Susan Lucci was also in the audience.

It was such fun! This year's crop is unusually strong, I thought. I loved Gladys Knight and Jaleel White. I also loved the young Disney dancer. Katherine the singer is gorgeous, as is William Levy. I loved Carrie Ann Inaba's reaction to him, saying that she wanted to thank ABC for her job. I missed Maria Menounos--I'll have to hunt her up on YouTube. Which means I missed Derek. Too bad! I love Derek. The football player was good, though in my opinion no one from that sport has ever been as splendid as Emmitt Smith. I go back and watch his cha-cha on YouTube from time to time.

I think the weakest one was probably Martina Navratilova. Well, good for her for trying. I'd be a lot worse, I can tell you that.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Jack Wagner thought he was wonderful and he wasn't!!

Spun Silver said:
And "the Latin Brad Pitt" William Levy (the one with the biceps) was blink-your-eyes gorgeous.

Uhhhh Spun, bite your tongue....Hot and blink-you-eyes gorgeous only belongs to Maks. I wonder how the two are getting along???

I thought Sherri Shepherd did a good job....loved her comment

“I think I left a boob on the floor. Can somebody find it for me?“- Sherri

I think all in all it was a good night.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I didn't think Wagner was very good but the judges tho't he was great? My guess is that contestants are now getting some dance instruction before appearing on the show. Whatever happened to the dancers with 2 left feet? I think my favorite was the hip hop boy. And I tho't that was Carol Yamaguchi sitting with Kristi (K's mother).

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't think Wagner was very good but the judges tho't he was great?
MW, I know it seemed like they praised Wagner (who looked like a stiff board) but were all over Melissa G. was that because of Maks???? They did say that their routine was very difficult.

Yet again, I'm impressed by Derek (whom I finally saw with his partner on YouTube) and Mark Ballas, not just because of the quality of their dancing but because of the quality of their choreography. When I remember that Derek spent some years living in London with Mark's parents, and both he and Mark trained with them, it gives an impression that they must be extraordinary teachers. Is anyone here in the ballroom dancing world? I'd love to know what the Ballas' reputation is in that world.

It was fun watching Cheryl do her drill-sergeant thing again, with William Levy. She is such a demanding (and obviously successful) teacher. And I'm thrilled that Maks is back. I was a bit peeved at the way he spoke so rudely last year, but I love his skillfulness and his enjoyment of dance. Ninety percent of the time, I admire him. I'll always be especially impressed of the way he worked with Kirstie Alley, who was one of the oldest contestants and also was so heavy at the beginning, which had to be an extra physical strain on him, and he was patient with her and yet demanding of her. I hope he does well with Melissa. She looks as if she can stand up to him; the backstage stuff should be a hoot.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a bit peeved at the way he spoke so rudely last year, but I love his skillfulness and his enjoyment of dance.

I thought Maks stuck up for his student....Len was harping on things that it seemed she just couldn't do and he kept it up. I think that's what got Maks upset. He was trying to say she was doing the best she could. Give her some credit. Oh well, let's just hope he and the judges maintain some professionalism this year. I think the judges need to do that more.

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought Maks stuck up for his student....Len was harping on things that it seemed she just couldn't do and he kept it up. I think that's what got Maks upset. He was trying to say she was doing the best she could. Give her some credit. Oh well, let's just hope he and the judges maintain some professionalism this year. I think the judges need to do that more.

I have a slightly different interpretation. I think Maks does push his partner, but he trys to mold them to his ideal, which isn't necessarily within their capabilities. He's also got to develop choreography that works for his partner. If he asks her to portray someone that she's not comfortable with, it's a limitation that he has to deal with -not ignore. Hope Solo was not very convincing with what Maks gave her the week he exploded - it just wasn't in her comfort zone. He could have changed the character of the routine to something that she would be more comfortable trying to perform. Also, she was stiff and tense. If anything the blow up seemed to release some tension between them and she seemed to relax a couple of weeks afterwards.

The reason Derek and Mark and Juilanne (when she was at DWTS) always do so well is because they choreograph to enhance what their partners do well and hide what they don't do as well.... this builds confidence for the next week to ease the celeb into the next phase.

The reason Derek and Mark and Juilanne (when she was at DWTS) always do so well is because they choreograph to enhance what their partners do well and hide what they don't do as well...

That's true, but they do it by putting on a show themselves rather than showcasing their partners.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What time and night does DWTS air? i usually catch some but seldom follow a whole season. It makes me yearn for dancing, and what i used to be able to do. Sounds like GS has a little group of true ballroom fans! I imagine icedance fans really love this show!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm an ice dance fan and can't stand DwtS, I prefer so you think you can dance... watching celebrities pretend to be elegant is so boring...

I think it airs Sunday and Monday nights?

This season looks to be different, Toni. The celebs all have something special. All but one or two, anyway.

I'm an ice dance fan and can't stand DwtS, I prefer so you think you can dance... watching celebrities pretend to be elegant is so boring...

I believe it's Monday and Tuesday nights, Toni. I like both shows, this and So You Think You Can Dance, for different reasons. To my mind, some of the celebrities are really good dancers, and of course so are the pros, so one gets to see some good performances. Additionally, they have the extra performances by guests and by the pros alone. That gorgeous group rendition of "Stand by Me" a few years ago was a knockout, for example, both choreographically and emotionally. The ending gets me every time. (It doesn't hurt that this song is one of my favorites ever.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8BuNagnWw

dlkksk8fan

Medalist

I prefer So You Think You Can Dance, mainly because those are REAL dancers. However I thought everyone did really well on DWTS the other night. I liked it.

conga

On the Ice
I prefer So You Think You Can Dance, mainly because those are REAL dancers. However I thought everyone did really well on DWTS the other night. I liked it.

^^^

I watch both shows but prefer SYTYCD by a large margin. I am just worried that it will change too much because of losing the results show and then end up going off the air. :disapp:

I'd also like to add that though Tom Bergeron may be the best talent show host in the known universe, SYTYCD's Cat Deeley is also extremely good. She comes across as smart and sincere. By contrast, Brooke Burke on DWTS always sounds over-rehearsed and trite. Fortunately, as I said, Tom Bergeron is there on DWTS. He is so clever with a quick quip, and he's able to defuse an awkward situation in half a heartbeat, especially when the one of the Three Bad Boys, Bruno, Len, or Maks, goes too far and says something either icky or overly aggressive.