Yankowskas and Reagan team up | Golden Skate

Yankowskas and Reagan team up

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The article is up on IceNetwork today.

They will train in Canton, Michigan with Johnny Johns and Marina Zoueva with David Kirby assisting from Dallas.

They did it! Well, good for them. Look forward to seeing their vids this summer! Big congratulations to both of them!

They will be working in Canton mainly with Johnny John but also with Marina Zoueva who will do their choreo (yay!). There was an interesting line from Zoueva:

"I am absolutely happy. Pairs is my favorite event. I like the choreography: more speed, more athletic, more in the air. For me, it's special."

Hmmm. Maybe Canton aims to rebuild US pairs as well as dance. :think:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I guess we all knew this was coming... I hope this will work out for them!

Well, a tryout is only a tryout and nothing else, but I'm not surprised they actually chose to pair up.

The article makes it sound like the instant he split with Cain, the tryout with Yankowskas was arranged, and thus the pairing. How "convenient". ;)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
All I can say is, YAY!! I am SO happy Caitlin will be competing again. I found the quote about her at last year's Worlds interesting: "All the talk backstage [in Moscow] was about the beautiful, new American girl, with people saying she was '[program] component rich.' " That was my thought exactly about Y/C at Worlds. They made quite a splash, I think, and hopefully Caitlin and Josh will be able to build on the international reputation she was starting to develop. Maybe it will give them a little boost. I think Denney/Coughlin's previous international experience definitely helped them immediately get the judges' attention.

I'm excited that Zoueva is part of the coaching team. That seems really promising. Interesting, too, her comments about pairs. Maybe this will give her a fun & inspiring break from all the ice dance choreography. If she can bring even a little of the magic she made with Gordeeva & Grinkov, we'll be in for a treat.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Y&C finished high enough to be seeded on the GP. Does that give Y&R any chance at a GP spot next fall provided they do a senior b to get a qualifying score?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to the 2011-2012 GP regulations:

"Pairs or Dance couples, who were placed amongst the ranks as previously mentioned in criteria a) and b) in the year 2009/10 or 2010/11, have reached the minimum score as required, but have split, will be considered in the alternate list with the new partner, if proof is given in writing by their Member that they intend to continue their competitive career."

a=World Placement 7-12 or better (Yankowskas/Coughlin were 6th)
b=Top 24 on ISU World Ranking list (Yankowskas/Coughlin were 7th on the 2010-2011 ISU World Standings

macy

Record Breaker
i'm so excited for this! yay! its so funny reading articles like this one with pairs, the way caitlin talks is like they're in a legit relationship now or about to get married hahaha.

cornell08

Final Flight
i'm so excited for this! yay! its so funny reading articles like this one with pairs, the way caitlin talks is like they're in a legit relationship now or about to get married hahaha.

She is SO CUTE in the article. I really felt for her during Nationals when she was just the bridesmaid interviewee saying she was still looking for a partner. Best wishes to them both.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I cant wait to see them at nationals......! I will have good thoughts for them....
(Note to self: When she skates by me during practice, dont forget to say "Welcome back!")

emma

Record Breaker
Awwwww....I'm so thrilled for her (and him, but I really missed Caitlin this season)!!! Yippy! Wish this new team all the very best!

DianaSelene

Medalist
I absolutely love Yankowskas and am happy that she has a new partner. However, I think Coughlin was better for her because he's pretty much a big block of wood BUT he can jump. Reagan is not that strong at jumps which doesn't help her since she also sometimes has jumping problems. Throughout the year, he's had quite a few mistakes. It's kind of sad that the technically strong pair, D/C are just not good skaters. They have poor lines, etc. We'll see how Y/R will do in the future.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Jumping in late to this thread because it was a given, but nevertheless wanted to add my CONGRATS as well. :cool:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Caitlin has been working her singles skills and preparing to take her (singles) Senior FS test while going partnerless, so she may have improved those aspects of her skating.

cornell08

Final Flight
I am happy for Caitlin but I hope people realize how much of a blow this was for Ashley. On twitter she explained that she was taken by surprise, that Josh was the one who wanted to split, and that she was very upset. Even though she's a promising singles skater, and still very young, it still sucks to lose a partner. For those who say her height would've gotten in the way, Dan Zhang (less of a good example now but still) was 5'7 and an Olympic silver medalist...after watching Ashley and Josh's superb nationals freeskate on youtube I'm a bit let down that they are no longer a pair.