What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: MEN..... | Golden Skate

What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: MEN.....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gold: Daisuke Takahashi
Why? Because his two programs, together, are by far the best offering a male skater has given us this year. Because he’s talented enough to merit two world titles. Because I suspect that next season, with the fast rising Hanyu and Kozuka, he might not have another chance
What next? At this point, I’m just gonna enjoy the journey. Whatever he delivers, it’ll likely be fascinating.

Silver: Patrick Chan
Why? Because, despite “Aranjuez” being the best long program of the season, “Take Five” doesn’t excite me all that much. Because, in the Sochi-scheme of things, this is the least important title for him to take. But mainly to see what would happen to the Chan-will-win-everything meme.
What next? Two new programs, neither choreographed by Lori Nichol. A short program to Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick” choreographed by Ingo Steuer and an LP to the Hero soundtrack, choreographed by David Wilson/Tom Dickson/or Kenji Miyamoto. Or “Vlatava.”

Bronze: Brian Joubert
Why? Because it would be a nice semi-retirement present. Because how can you root against a hometown favourite, especially one as iconic as Joubert. Because, rather like Shawn Sawyer last season, I think he’s doing this for himself and his own goals, and I believe that’s admirable.
What next: Cup of China gold. Becoming the first singles skater to win all six GP events + the GPF (Shen/Zhao have done so as well – they also have won the now defunct Bofrost event). Then TEB and actual retirement.

Fourth: Takahiko Kozuka
Why? To quote Mark Twain: “Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.” Because in the rush to anoint Hanyu the greatest thing since sliced bread and the general veneration of Takahashi, he’s been left behind somewhat. Because he’s taken roads less traveled/rewarded. Because I suspect a well skated Nausicaa would be a thing of beauty.
What Next: Get the quad down permanently. I’d be interested in seeing him skate to something by Clint Mansell (The Fountain soundtrack?) or Alexander Desplat (a whole whack of great scores).

Fifth: Javier Fernandez
Why? Because I want a new European number one, and he’s charming enough. Because it’s always great when a small nation punches above its weight class. Because people should be rewarded for leaving Morosov.
What next? Growth. A more tonally consistent long program,

Sixth: Adam Rippon
Why: Because I think it would be hilarious to see him beat Abbott. Because the last minute of his SP is a choreographic gem. Because he’s pushing himself technically. Because Miner et al are closing in fast and a top six/final group result would remind the world what he’s capable of.
What next? Something dark and creepy. Like Alberto Iglacious’ score to The Skin I Lived In or Bad Education

Seventh: Tomas Verner
Why: Why not? Brezina’s not exciting me right now.
What next? Retirement with his two top-five world finishes and Euro title

Eighth: Jeremy Abbott
Why: Because, for all the hype, the long program doesn’t move me. Because, on the other hand, his short program is second to Takahashi’s this season and continues his streak of amazing short programs
What next? Hopefully a less trite and less pretentious long.

Ninth: Nan Song
Why: Top ten gives China two spots next year. With Han Yan on the rise, he’ll need it. Because he’s actually quite good and a clean Song would deserve this on his own merits. Because the more countries the merrier.
What next? More refinement. Hopefully a greater recognition of his performance qualities.

Tenth: Kevin van der Perren
Why: Top ten gives Belgium two spots next year. Because he’s really cute when he’s happy (I half expected him to dislocate his shoulder after the EC 2011 SP). Because he’s made some improvements this year.
What next? Two spots means he probably won’t retire, so continue making improvements, I guess.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I wish I could believe what you write of is actually possible, ImaginaryPogue. And personally, it kills me that I don't.

Anyway, I really like your proposed music choices for Chan. I think Hero would do very well next season, particularly because it would be a nice way to acknowledge Chan's heritage (since he does love China and all ;)), just like Lu Chen used to do. Personally, I would like Chan to skate something also not choreographed by Lori Nichol to the music of Beethoven, perhaps his Symphony No. 7.

For Kozuka, I would like him to skate to something by Holst. Yes, something like Jupiter from The Planets. Seriously, if that doesn't wring any emotions out of him, nothing will.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jorik Hendrickx is really good-another reason to want Kevin vdP to finish top 10.

And I like the suggestions for Patrick's programs next year!

OTOH, I'd like to see Abbott & Rippon at least 6th & 7th in either order. Ross deserves another trip to Worlds! Or whomever the 3rd place US man is next year...

And I would like to see Brian medal in Nice...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
A lot of gems in your proposal, Pogue!

Why? Because his two programs, together, are by far the best offering a male skater has given us this year. Because he’s talented enough to merit two world titles. Because I suspect that next season, with the fast rising Hanyu and Kozuka, he might not have another chance
What next? At this point, I’m just gonna enjoy the journey. Whatever he delivers, it’ll likely be fascinating.

I like Takahashi's LP a lot more than his SP. I don't think his SP is out of ordinary. If Chan made mistakes and Takahashi were clean, I'd be happy to have gold given to him. Otherwise, I'd be upset.:)

Why? Because, despite “Aranjuez” being the best long program of the season, “Take Five” doesn’t excite me all that much. Because, in the Sochi-scheme of things, this is the least important title for him to take. But mainly to see what would happen to the Chan-will-win-everything meme.
What next? Two new programs, neither choreographed by Lori Nichol. A short program to Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick” choreographed by Ingo Steuer and an LP to the Hero soundtrack, choreographed by David Wilson/Tom Dickson/or Kenji Miyamoto. Or “Vlatava.”

The funny thing is that I enjoyed "Take Five" this year a lot more than last year. I think Chan skated his SP near perfection artistically most of the time this season.

I'm afraid that Mr.Lakernik's interview has waked the "clueless" judges, like Mr. Inman had done to the judges before 2010 Olympics. So the scores between Chan and the rest of the top skaters might be surprising to skating fans.

Why? Because it would be a nice semi-retirement present. Because how can you root against a hometown favourite, especially one as iconic as Joubert. Because, rather like Shawn Sawyer last season, I think he’s doing this for himself and his own goals, and I believe that’s admirable.
What next: Cup of China gold. Becoming the first singles skater to win all six GP events + the GPF (Shen/Zhao have done so as well – they also have won the now defunct Bofrost event). Then TEB and actual retirement.

I like this idea but don't like his programs.:p I'd be happy to see him on the podium before his retiring.

Trewyn

Medalist
Adam and Jeremy placing 6th and 8th would be sad for the US to fail at regaining the third spot by a whisker!
I definitely want Kevin vdP to have a terrific skate but not for Belgium's two spots (because as much I love the idea of Kevin returning for Worlds next year, I don't think it's likely, he said 'last week of my life as skater :( or something on FB). But he deserves to go out on a high.
Also hoping Kozuka and Joubert do well :)
I'm not involved in the Takahashi/Chan discussion, I'll just eagerly await their performances on the night :)

emma

Record Breaker
LOVE your post, IP....don't agree with it all, but love the post!!! I also think your music choices for Chan are very interesting. Where I most agree: Taka has two of the best programs; I agree with you or feel the same way about Chan's short and long; and think Naussica (sp?) will be dreamy and amazing if skated clean and with conviction. Also - sentimentally would love to see Brian on the podium. Where I most disagree is with Abbot's long - to each their own - but that program captivates me from start to finish. Regardless, look at how many great and interesting men are skating...can't wait to see the comp and really hope they all bring it!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
... Forgot him. I want Russia to have two spots next year. Bump him to eighth and move Verner out of the top ten. I'm capricious that way. Abbott's now seventh, and everyone's happy that the USA has three men.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why? Because this is maybe his best chance to win Worlds again, because a skater of his calliber deserves two world titles, because his programs are so unique, and because his joy of skating always comes through when he's performing well.
What's next? Retire or keep going in new directions regarding programs. I think he'll be passing over the torch to Hanyu soon, so he can have the title of top Japanese man going into Sochi. He's the best best to challenge Chan for gold there IMO, Takahashi isn't getting younger.

Why? To prove he isn't invicible. If he makes significant mistakes, he shouldn't always win anyways, simple as that. And while I love his Aranjuez program, I find Take 5 rather boring and white-bread, Patrick is capable of better.
What's next? Two new programs, choreographed by someone other than Nichol. I'd like to see him go the Jeremy Abbott route and skate to something modern and/or edgy, break away from his classical style and show his versatility as a skater. When you're on top, you need to take risks.

Why? Because Worlds and in France and Joubert is an icon to the figure skating world, and a medal here after all he's been through the past few years would be a wonderful way to cap off his career and show he still has what it takes to be up there. And he's skating to Matrix. Idk, I'm a sucker for a sentimental medal pick and Joubert is such a good sportsman.
What's next: Retire. Or try for CoC gold and then retire. Either way I don't see him sticking around until 2014. It's been sad to see him struggle, so I'd rather him end his career on a high note.

Fourth: Tomas Verner
Why? Keeping up the Czech tradition of a man in 4th place, and because he really has improved since going to Canada, because Michal has not been thrilling this season, and because Tomas does have all it takes when he delivers. Plus I want to see his Sexy and I Know It EX number again :biggrin:. And again, sentimentality, keeping the youngins in their place.
What's Next: Retire or keep going. His choice, but I'd like to see him to continue experiencing with different choreographers and types of programs like he has recently if he does chose to continue. It would be nice to have someone to motivate Brezina to stay on his game anyways.

Fifth: Javier Fernandez
Why? Because he's the next big star from Europe, and because with his technical content, he deserves it, because leaving Morozov was a great decision, and because a 5th place finish here will show the World he's arrived while keeping him hungry to continue improving before 2014.
What's next? I'd like to see him try for 2 quads in the SP, I think he is definitely capable of it. Also keep continuing his growth and momentum, I'd like to see him win Euros and medal at Worlds next year.

Sixth: Jeremy Abbott
Why: Because he's a great skater with great programs this season. I appreciate his versatility as a skater and how he keeps going despite his age and all the setbacks he's had in the past. I want him to stick around until 2014 even though I don't expect him to be the top US man going into the next Olympics. Further, good performances here will keep the headcase smack talk to a minimum.
What's next? Keep experimenting with different kinds of programs, start trying the quad in the SP, and be consistent enough to stay on the World Team for the next couple of seasons.

Seventh: Adam Rippon
Why: So the US men can get the 3rd spot back, because he's been getting better as the season has progressed, because I like his FS and the end of his SP, because I want to see both Dornbush and Farris at Worlds next season, along with someone else.
What's next? Keep working on the quad and getting the 3a consistent. Branch out more in his programs.

Eighth: Yuzuru Hanyu
Why: Because he's incredibly talented, but his time hasn't arrived yet, because 8th at Worlds as a 17 year old is still extremely impressive, and because he has more time than all the others I have placing ahead of him. He needs to stay hungry and focused going into 2014, because if he can and continues to improve, he will challenge Chan for gold in Sochi, I really think he will. But he still needs more strength, stamina, and consistency. I don't expect him to be perfect here.
What's next? Work to develop more strength and stamina, maybe try to learn the 4s as well. Keep picking beautiful programs. Work to develop a more mature style and look on the ice. Set a good pace to build toward the Olympics, get used to becoming Japanese number 1.

Ninth: Takahiko Kozuka
Why: Because this way, he still finishes in the top 10 and people shouldn't give him too hard a time for "declining" after his stellar last season. Because Takahashi will likely retire soon, and Hanyu is most likely to be Japan number 1 going into Sochi so Kozuka and everyone else might as well get used to that now. Because he really needs a consistent quad to be a medal contender.
What's next? Continue working on the quad, try to put it in the SP starting next season. Find programs that show off his great classical style and will maximize his PCS. Continue delivering and trying the big tricks to keep Hanyu on his toes.

Tenth: Nan Song
Why: Top ten gives China two spots for next year, and while Han Yan is a phenom, Song is quite good two and deserves more exposure and another trip to Worlds. Because he should be rewarded for his stellar GP season and amazing 4t and 3a,
What's next? Work on the component side of his skating, as that still needs a lot of work. Maybe try to learn 4s. Continue improving and delivering to keep Yan motivated to keep improving as well.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I wish I could believe what you write of is actually possible, ImaginaryPogue. And personally, it kills me that I don't.

Anyway, I really like your proposed music choices for Chan. I think Hero would do very well next season, particularly because it would be a nice way to acknowledge Chan's heritage (since he does love China and all ;)), just like Lu Chen used to do. Personally, I would like Chan to skate something also not choreographed by Lori Nichol to the music of Beethoven, perhaps his Symphony No. 7.

For Kozuka, I would like him to skate to something by Holst. Yes, something like Jupiter from The Planets. Seriously, if that doesn't wring any emotions out of him, nothing will.

To evangeline,

Fot me, The Planets by Holst is the music I have been dreaming for Dai to perform!

I am also a HUGE fan of rugby football for decades, and when I hear the music during the World Cup every 4 years, I always imagined Dai skating to the beautiful Jupiter.
Would love to see it for his Long program at Sochi Olympic season if he still stays eligible.

Also, the melody at the begining of Jupiter is just perfect for a quad attempt, and good vehicle for someone like Dai who has great presence on the ice, or Brian for that matter.
Brian seems not to like classical piece of music very much, but The Planets would be suitable and skatable for him, too, don't you think?

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Gold: Jeremy, because if this happen it will be his best skating ever. A dream come true for me(and him I suppose :laugh:). I love the way he moves to the music. Wish his focused face didn't look so grim, though.

Silver: Verner, hehe, I never give up on him :biggrin:

Bronze: Hanyu, it would be awesome. He seems very determined and I bet he has trained hard for this.

Probably the podium will be Chan, Gachinski and Takahashi. But that's all right. I enjoy watching these three as well.

7-10: Fernandez, Amodio , Reynolds and Majorov(so that Schultheiss is a certain for next world's).

:confused: and then there are Van der Perren, Joubert, Rippon, Kozuka, Brezina, Liebers, Ten, Song etc. So many to like :clap:

Well, if only they skate their best I am satisfied. It's so tough for them and they are trying such hard elements and performances. I fear many mistakes will be made. Men's competitions are incredibly exciting before start, but easily also disappointing when over (iike the SP at Vancouver olympics). I really, really want to see the men excel.

GO ALL!

I just want to see Jeremy and Dai peak here and do what they are capable of.

Wouldn't mind if Hanyu did the same!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
What I would LIKE to see:

GOLD Daisuke Takahashi

I love Daisuke's long program this year so much. For me, it's his best program ever: just so brilliant and intense when he skates it well. My fondest wish for the men's event is that Daisuke has the skate of his life in the long program, lands a quad, gets the PCS marks he deserves, and wins his second gold medal. As others have pointed out, his talent completely merits at least 2 World titles. Let this be his second one.

SILVER & BRONZE

I have no strong favorites other than Daisuke. I'd be happy to see any of the following guys win silver or bronze: Kozuka, Abbott, Hanyu, Rippon, Verner, Fernandez, Chan, Ten, or even Joubert. I'm less thrilled with Gachinski, Brezina, and Amodio, but if they skate well, so be it.

I do think Jeremy Abbott has amazing programs this year and is an incredibly talented skater. However, I think all the predictions of him medaling or even winning are . . . optimistic. His record at Worlds/Olympics is not good--there's a lot of bad history there for him to overcome. I think skating two good programs and placing top 5 would add up to a personal victory for him. To hope for more is not realistic in my book. (But, who knows, he may prove me wrong.)

prettykeys

Medalist
Takahashi's bare-all heart and passion makes him my sentimental favourite here, but I must admit what I want to see most is Chan skate lights out. Because when he does, he is breathtaking and I am in love with his skating (not crazy about his Short, but his Long... :love: ). Chan for Gold and Takahashi for Silver.

Joubert for Bronze because it's his home country and he may retire soon.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott's SP got me. It amazed me how he could do it so well on ice! I could ignore his LP of this season and look forward to seeing his new LP next season. I wish he could get on the podium just because he is better than Johnny weir and Johnny weir has had a world bronze and three US national titles.