What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: PAIRS... | Golden Skate

What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: PAIRS...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gold: Savchenko/Szolkowy
Silver: Kavaguti/Smirnov

Why? Here’s the thing – I think it’s the last shot for either of these teams, and for both of them to be injured and withdraw from Euros concurrently is probably the single worst thing about this season. They both have marvellous long programs (slight edge to S/S) and short programs (edge to K/S). Now, I think S/S are good enough to challenge V/T all the way to Sochi, but I expect the politicking for V/T to reach feverish heights (witness Lakernik’s dig at S/S in the interview) and these two will be left behind. It’s a shame because I really think that K/S’s “Claire de Lune” is an all-time list program. They aren’t my favourite team, not by any means, but this program is a marvel. On the other side, I’m beginning to think that S/S are a favourite of mine. A terrific range of programs showcases their ambition and emotional range (nothing more clearly than “Pina”). I want them to land that throw triple axel (though it’s currently really underrated in the system) – few teams have pushed themselves both technically and artistically the way this team has, and that should be applauded.
What next? Hmmm....... S/S are in the Takahashi territory where whatever they do will likely be fascinating and worthy. I’d like K/S to continue exploring how to make those transitions seamless as they’ve done with “Clair de Lune.”

Bronze: Voloszhar/Trankov
Why? I was really excited when I found out they were skating to Black Swan, but they haven’t impressed me with it. But a sky-high triple twist and brazen guts make this team a stellar one to watch anyway.
What next? Respighi, please.

Fourth: Duhamel/Radford
Why: To get fourth would require a skate that is at par or better than Canadian Nationals. Megan’s another one of those who when happy completely lights up the arena. It’s not an interesting long program, but you can see them working hard to improve their PCS (stronger transitions than last season, better match) and their SP is quite nice.
What next: Something big, brassy and vibrant. Maybe some Cy Coleman?

Fifth: Pang/Tong
Why?.... I like them, but I don’t love them. It’s hard to watch these “part-time” skaters – I want them and more of them, but I also don’t want them to be rewarded despite not competing. Additionally, the suspicion that they’re competing because they “have” to bothers me as well.
What next? If they continue competing, I’d like to see tackle something like George Winston.

Sixth: Takahashi/Tran
Why? I like them. There’s a hint of ephemerality surrounding this team, especially since his status vis-a-vis Sochi is unclear-to-negative. So many lovely qualities – genuinely musical footwork, strong choreography, and beautiful positions. I really hope they do well this season.
What next? Land the jumps. Land the jumps. Jumps land the. Land jumps the.

Seventh: Bazarova/Larionov
Why? Eh, I don’t love them , but they do seem like hard workers. Her air position is divine.
What next? I’d like to see her with more muscle mass -

Eighth: Marley/Brubaker
Why? Because they’ve got spunk and flair. Because I really like them.
What next? Win the National title, with Donlan/Speroff second. Trigger a new dynasty/rivalry in American pairs.

Ninth: Dube/Wolfe
Why? There’s been a lot of criticism of Dube for splitting with Davison, even though it’s clear that it was the right decision. I want them to go out there and skate well. I want the third slot, though I don’t consider it essential. I’m just hoping for the best.
What next? Continued growth. Jessica should take acting classes.

Tenth: Sui/Han
Why? Here’s the thing. They do a lot of hard things. They do them with pizzazz and flair. They have and insouciant command of performing. But they do very little of actual quality. They’re exciting and invigorating, but despite that, it’s not what I enjoy.
What next? Refine refine refine refine refine. Also, no junior competitions.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think the top five will stay the same as last year with a little S/H sprinkled in but I don't know where, maybe 5th at best or 8th at worst.

S/S and K/S have proven for years they are going to remain contenders until Sochi, even after they were counted out after the last Olympics. Both of their long programs are divine for different reasons and when skated clean can get between 130 and 140 points. S/S have a better short program but it doesn’t blow me away, I do hope they try the 3ATh, she has said they have enough world golds and it's about doing other things.

I don't really like K/S short mainly because of her, he can skate to commercial jingles and look fabulous but she looks awkward in this blues genre but they guys talked her into it. That maybe the only thing holding them back; I think after the short they will be in 6-8th place, but will reach a medal in the free.

V/T are probably going to win it unless they freak out and mess up. Their short is ok but I hate the costumes, it looks like practice wear. her gloves and his guyliner HAS TO GO!The music they said has been changed to a more rock version so that may help the interpretation but the entrance and sl footwork is ridiculous to point of being laughable. They need to up the difficulty on the twist, high is not enough anymore, D/C and M/B have high twists as well and B/L have a better one, they need more levels and they have been together long enough. Their long puts me to sleep, after seeing K/S do the swan program for 2 years, I’m over it and they over emote! Too much standing around in the middle of the program.

B/L are so boring, change coaches and choreographers.

P/T I hope they just get the scores they earned, they didn’t do well at the one competition they did in January and their scores were sky high, it was local so I doubt it will happen in Nice. But I really think after seeing S/H score today the judges aren't going to give points the skaters don't earn.

7-8-9 will be fought over between D/C, M/B, D/R, unless T/T are flawless.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since this is a "What would you like to see" thread, I'd like to see Takahashi & Tran finally skate their program without errors! I don't know where they would finish if they did--I'd just love to see it.

And I hope S&S skate well and win. If they don't win, I'd love to see K&S win instead.

paircheck

Final Flight
S/S are going to try the 3ATh in the sp !!! :clap:
their trainer ingo steuer mentiones that to a german fan club ... so keep your fingers crossed!!!

I don t like V/T black swan too, i think they have really super elements but i don t like their pathetic style...

K/S iss too soft and sorry boooring

T/T well nice transitions, pair elements ... but where re their jumps?

D/R i wanna see them in the top 5... eric iss one of the best male pair skaters, and - you can think what u want - meagan iss improving her style...

cassiem

On the Ice
Since this is a "What would you like to see" thread, I'd like to see Takahashi & Tran finally skate their program without errors! I don't know where they would finish if they did--I'd just love to see it.
Same here. Everything about this pair is superb, except for the jumps and throws.

I would have agreed last season about B/L having bad choreography but not so much this year. They've clearly worked on adding more transitions.

S/S are going to try the 3ATh in the sp !!! :clap:
their trainer ingo steuer mentiones that to a german fan club ... so keep your fingers crossed!!!

I don t like V/T black swan too, i think they have really super elements but i don t like their pathetic style...

K/S iss too soft and sorry boooring

T/T well nice transitions, pair elements ... but where re their jumps?

D/R i wanna see them in the top 5... eric iss one of the best male pair skaters, and - you can think what u want - meagan iss improving her style...
Whatever you may think of V/T's material (I don't like their programs myself), saying their style is "pathetic" is over the top. They have excellent skating skills, posture, and solid positions.

I don't care for D/R at all. They're the definition of a mismatched pair.

paircheck

Final Flight
@ cassiem .... well that s my opinion :p ... like i said in other threads i respect their talent and technical content, but i don' t like their style ... look @ trankovs then u see what i mean

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Takahashi/Tran
5. Berton/Hotárek
6. Duhamel/Radford
7. Marley/Brubaker
8. Pang/Tong
9. Bazarova/Larionov
10. Dube/Wolfe

mousepotato

On the Ice
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Takahashi/Tran
5. Berton/Hotárek
6. Duhamel/Radford
7. Marley/Brubaker
8. Pang/Tong
9. Bazarova/Larionov
10. Dube/Wolfe

:confused:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think the top five will stay the same as last year with a little S/H sprinkled in but I don't know where, maybe 5th at best or 8th at worst.

S/S and K/S have proven for years they are going to remain contenders until Sochi, even after they were counted out after the last Olympics. Both of their long programs are divine for different reasons and when skated clean can get between 130 and 140 points. S/S have a better short program but it doesn’t blow me away, I do hope they try the 3ATh, she has said they have enough world golds and it's about doing other things.

I don't really like K/S short mainly because of her, he can skate to commercial jingles and look fabulous but she looks awkward in this blues genre but they guys talked her into it. That maybe the only thing holding them back; I think after the short they will be in 6-8th place, but will reach a medal in the free.

V/T are probably going to win it unless they freak out and mess up. Their short is ok but I hate the costumes, it looks like practice wear. her gloves and his guyliner HAS TO GO!The music they said has been changed to a more rock version so that may help the interpretation but the entrance and sl footwork is ridiculous to point of being laughable. They need to up the difficulty on the twist, high is not enough anymore, D/C and M/B have high twists as well and B/L have a better one, they need more levels and they have been together long enough. Their long puts me to sleep, after seeing K/S do the swan program for 2 years, I’m over it and they over emote! Too much standing around in the middle of the program.

P/T I hope they just get the scores they earned, they didn’t do well at the one competition they did in January and their scores were sky high, it was local so I doubt it will happen in Nice. But I really think after seeing S/H score today the judges aren't going to give points the skaters don't earn.

7-8-9 will be fought over between D/C, M/B, D/R, unless T/T are flawless.

V/T's twist doesn't need to be more difficult. It is usually level 2 which is normal. Most skaters get that level. Sometimes they have level 1 but the high goes make up for it.

mousepotato

On the Ice
V/T's twist doesn't need to be more difficult. It is usually level 2 which is normal. Most skaters get that level. Sometimes they have level 1 but the high goes make up for it.

It's high enough where it can be more difficult especially since they don't get a level for foot work going into the twist and her arms aren't over her head making it even more difficult. A level 2 may be normal (actually some teams get a level 3) but they can get up to a level 4. If he is bent on not doing a quad twist, getting all +3 GOE on a Level 4 3Tw is the logical next step for team.

DianaSelene

Medalist
It's high enough where it can be more difficult especially since they don't get a level for foot work going into the twist and her arms aren't over her head making it even more difficult. A level 2 may be normal (actually some teams get a level 3) but they can get up to a level 4. If he is bent on not doing a quad twist, getting all +3 GOE on a Level 4 3Tw is the logical next step for team.

Yeah, except it's kind of unnecessary. I just don't see the point and neither do they. The points are not much higher but it is more difficult. Just because it is a high twist, doesn't mean it makes it easier for her to put her arms over her head. It could also affect the height of the twist. Seriously, how many pairs do you see with level 4 twists? Not a lot. I think only S/H can do it. Even B/L's twist is still level 3.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Yeah, except it's kind of unnecessary. I just don't see the point and neither do they. The points are not much higher but it is more difficult. Just because it is a high twist, doesn't mean it makes it easier for her to put her arms over her head. It could also affect the height of the twist. Seriously, how many pairs do you see with level 4 twists? Not a lot. I think only S/H can do it. Even B/L's twist is still level 3.

They may not see a need until other teams start having a better twist and they need to up their game, they may think they are untouchable until Sochi, but S/S though that in 2009 and look what happened to them. Like it or not, this is a sport and adjustments need to be made otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need to add the 3F or add harder jumps. They have been togther for two years and they haven't even added footwork going into the twist yet, that something juniors even do. They have been togther long enough now so they can't even use the excuse they are new.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
When have S/H done a level four triple twist? Even level three is rare. Keep in mind that we're just leaving an era where a double twist wasn't uncommon.

mousepotato

On the Ice
When have S/H done a level four triple twist? Even level three is rare. Keep in mind that we're just leaving an era where a double twist wasn't uncommon.

S/H have only done a level 4 double twist not a triple. B/L, D/R and I/M have got a level 3 triple twist, they didn't have the arms.

DianaSelene

Medalist
S/H have only done a level 4 double twist not a triple. B/L, D/R and I/M have got a level 3 triple twist, they didn't have the arms.

Which proves my point that it is obviously a difficult level to get. No one does it. They'll be fine with a level 2, it would be great if they make it a level 3 though.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Which proves my point that it is obviously a difficult level to get. No one does it. They'll be fine with a level 2, it would be great if they make it a level 3 though.

It won't be a that hard to just add footwork. I understand he is afraid of the quad (athough Gordeeva and Grinkov did it in 1987 and Obertas and Slavnov have done it also) but both V/T have done footwork with their previous partners.

PS not buying "no one does it" skating hasn't come all this way without someone doing something first. Axel Paulsen did the first Axel jump so should men never try a double or triple Axel?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Right, but you're making it sound like it's imperative for V/T to do a level four triple twist. It's not.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
It won't be a that hard to just add footwork. I understand he is afraid of the quad (athough Gordeeva and Grinkov did it in 1987 and Obertas and Slavnov have done it also) but both V/T have done footwork with their previous partners.

PS not buying "no one does it" skating hasn't come all this way without someone doing something first. Axel Paulsen did the first Axel jump so should men never try a double or triple Axel?

Which is why I said that I agree that they should do level 3. 4 is just unnecessary, though.

If V/T feel uncomfortable doing a twist with hands over head, then they won't do it. I infer you are saying that if no one does anything new, then pretty much figure skating won't progress. True. But that doesn't mean every female skater needs to try a 3A or quad. If the skater doesn't want to do it, then he won't do it. Not everyone is a pioneer.