pairs sp | Page 2 | Golden Skate

pairs sp

seniorita

Record Breaker
Anyone heard from Seniorita lately? I'm hoping she's on the scene and can report. I can't wait to hear from everyone who's there!

Oh—and go go go, Aliona and Robin!

Oh no, I ll watch from tv, couldnt afford Nice. But I m excited too!Treywn is there, Im sure she will have many stories to report :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
But on the West Coast, I'm afraid that would be 4 am.

Thanks for this info., Spun Silver, would loooooooooooove to watch this, but that's awfully early here on the West Coast. :(

Inoue and Baldwin are the first to do the throw 3A at both Olympics (in the SP) and Worlds (in the LP) both in 2006. Rena did reach for the ice on the landing at Worlds, but really close inspection of replay showed that she did not touch down IIRC. They got a slightly negative GOE for the element but full base value for the element. I/B placed 4th at 2006 Worlds largely due to the fact that John landed his 3T for once and Rena landed the throw 3A. They were 3rd in the LP. Still the highest placement at worlds for a US pair in the last nine years since Ina and Zimmerman's 2002 bronze.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2006/wc06_Pairs_FS_scores.pdf

Their throw 3axel was superb! :cool: I soooo wanted them to go to the 2010 Olympics, after having skated superbly at Nationals that year, and also Rena landing that FAB throw 3A! :bow:

By the way, thanks for the info. about their being the highest placing American Pairs Team in 9 years, didn't know that, thanks again! :thumbsup:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And they had the HIGHEST TES at 2006 Worlds LP, too. Ina and John are special.
It's annoying that S/S think they would be the first to land a 3A at an international competition. Learn your own sport history!

evangeline

Record Breaker
I read an article in German (http://www.taz.de/Eiskunstlauf-WM-in-Nizza/!90220/) about Aliona and Robin and apparently they are not in top shape, even Steuer talked about simply medalling being good enough this time. I hope they still manage to do well. It will be an exciting competition.

Oh no! I too hope they will manage to do well, the #1 thing I would like to see in the pairs discipline this year is a perfectly clean performance of their masterpiece LP Pina. For everything else, let the chips fall where they may.

mousepotato

On the Ice
And they had the HIGHEST TES at 2006 Worlds LP, too. Ina and John are special.
It's annoying that S/S think they would be the first to land a 3A at an international competition. Learn your own sport history!

In her defense, if they do land one and medal at worlds; they would be the first to medal (possible win gold) with one, so she she is correct. Maybe that's what she meant and it got lost in translation. I wouldn't get too upset about it especially if they don't even try it.

gioccia

On the Ice
Excited to see the last two flights. Let the strongest couple win! The competition is giong to be tough!)))

jcoates

Medalist
By the way, thanks for the info. about their being the highest placing American Pairs Team in 9 years, didn't know that, thanks again! :thumbsup:

Odd bit of trivia: US pairs have had their highest pairs placement of each of the last four Olympic cycles at the post Olympics World Championship. I mention this with full knowledge of the fact that those WCs were almost always weaker fields.

1998-Meno and Sand 2nd
2002-Ina and Zimmerman 3rd
2006-Inoue and Baldwin 4th
2010-Denney and Barrett 7th

Prior to that American pairs had routinely had their best showings in each Olympic cycle in non Olympic years going back to 1980

1979-Babilonia and Gardner 1st (7th in 1980;Carruthers)
1982- Carruthers 3rd (10th in 1984; Miller and Fauver)
1987-Watson and Oppegard 3rd (4th in 1988; Wachsman and Waggoner)
1991-Kuchiki and Sand 3rd (7th in 1992; Urbanski and Marval)
1993-Meno and Sand 5th (6th in 1994; Meno and Sand)

jcoates

Medalist
Also prior to 2003 the US managed to sneak out at least one pairs medal in every Olympic cycle except 2 (1973-1976 and 1993-1994) going back to the early 70s.

paircheck

Final Flight
oh oh oh :confused:

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/27032012/73/steuer-sportler-bestraft.html

ingo steuer says in an interview with eurosport that aliona & robin are not as fit and prepared as they were at last years worlds in moscov.
they have only 85% prepared....
aliona s injury handicaped them more as they thought before....
but they wanna try the 3ATh in the short and haven't trained the 3FlipTh

uuuuhhhh i am getting more and more excited.... i keep my fingers crossed for S/S

he also says that he doesn' t count on trankovs statements in an interview @ europeans, where maxim criticises the development in pairskating (quadruple throws and twists and S/S's 3ATh)
ingo knows that V/T train a quadruple lutz twist, but V/T, and their trainers nina mozer and stan morozov don't talk about it....

Redstone

Rinkside
ingo knows that V/T train a quadruple lutz twist, but V/T, and their trainers nina mozer and stan morozov don't talk about it....

Really? I think that there is a mistake here or some new information - V/T have said on multiple occasion that they wouldn't try any quads. Just yesterday in their blog Maxim said that they aren't young enough to learn quading and there's a litlle chance to keep a top qulity of a throw/twist with 4 rotations.

On similar note: I think S/S have a point in trying an axel. There won't be much tragedy if they won't get another Worlds gold medal - they have enough already but they do need a very special trick to win the Olympics having such strong rivals.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
This makes no sense. After all, Aliona got injured by practicing the throw 3A. I don't see any reason in trying it here. They should try hard to win the title because it's not about how many world gold medals you have, but who establishes as first contenders for the Olympics. I'm 100% sure that if V/T win here with a big big score in front of S/S, S/S's PCS will go downhill by next season.

paircheck

Final Flight
Really? I think that there is a mistake here or some new information - V/T have said on multiple occasion that they wouldn't try any quads. Just yesterday in their blog Maxim said that they aren't young enough to learn quading and there's a litlle chance to keep a top qulity of a throw/twist with 4 rotations.

On similar note: I think S/S have a point in trying an axel. There won't be much tragedy if they won't get another Worlds gold medal - they have enough already but they do need a very special trick to win the Olympics having such strong rivals.

well that's what steuer said in this interview... and he said, that V/T are not talking about their quad attemps...

we gonna see if they gonna try a quad in the future .. their 3LTw is their best technical element.... and there might be room for a 4LTw ;)

and maybe S/S re working on a 4FlipTh as well :biggrin:

but now we gonna see what happen today in the sp ...

Redstone

Rinkside
well that's what steuer said in this interview... and he said, that V/T are not talking about their quad attemps...

we gonna see if they gonna try a quad in the future .. their 3LTw is their best technical element.... and there might be room for a 4LTw ;)

and maybe S/S re working on a 4FlipTh as well :biggrin:

but now we gonna see what happen today in the sp ...

I think it's Ingo getting the wrong impression, I doubt that V/T would blatantly lie like that. But who knows? Maybe Tanya and Max scheme something behind others back :D
I don't think SS will try a quad either - the axel throw is their big new trick.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Morning everyone! :)

Got about 3 hrs. sleep, but decided I didn't want to miss this. :cool:

Watching on IN and they just introduced the judges, logged in while they were naming them, recognized Joe Inman right away. :rolleye: Also a few other recognizeable names.

Intro of skaters, now

GET IT ON!!!! :rock:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hey, was that Caydee Denney's old partner they just showed a minute ago? :confused: Also all eyes are on M&B, as well as their coaches...