Scoring at Worlds - Hersh's Views | Golden Skate

Scoring at Worlds - Hersh's Views

Davis and White, the reigning world champions, are in second after getting a score (70.98) more than five points below their season best.

The Shibutanis, reigning bronze medalists, are in seventh with a score (62.35) more than three points below their season best.

The couples in first, third, fourth, fifth and sixth places all got season bests.

Coincidence, right?

Short Dance:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...lways-cest-ridicule-20120328,0,3422590.column

Pairs Short:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0329-hersh-figure-skating--20120329,0,3072119.column

Last edited:

romanoff81

Match Penalty
That guy doesn`t know **** about ice dance, if there was a couple that was robbed it was weaver and poje who i think with the exception of virtue and moir easily outskated the rest of the field i agree about the french there is some home cooking going on there.

blainechan

Match Penalty
Yup, Weaver/Poje was undermarked, and the French was overmarked. Their twizzle was slow, weak and not in synch.

heyhey

On the Ice
This article is just ugly....Mr. Hersh should know that personal best scores can be misleading especially with this year's SD. Depending on the event, the technical panel was either very lenient or very picky. D/W have in no way been "dumped". This type of article does not help figure skating's popularity in the US...can't wait to see what he writes after the FD...

all that

Final Flight
Why doesn't Hersh try to learn about ice dancing instead of writing like an idiot? Oh, that's right -- because he gets paid no matter what crap he writes. I can't wait til these wastes of journalistic space retire and let people who are truly qualified to write take jobs. It's time to sweep the trash out.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hersh, I'm glad you're watching and I hope you continue to watch because you haven't seen nothing yet; this Worlds is going to go down as one of the worst ever for the Americans.

The dance article is kind of silly. Davis and White did not get a season's best score for their short dance because they did not give a season's best performance.

Virtue and Moir did give a season's best performance of their SD program.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
But was it five points off their season best? Really? And how about the FD, was that not their season best either?
The dance article is kind of silly. Davis and White did not get a season's best score for their short dance because they did not give a season's best performance.

Virtue and Moir did give a season's best performance of their SD program.

jatale

On the Ice
Actually I think Hersh makes some good points. It is VERY SUSPICIOUS that the top two US dance pairs received very low scores (compared to their best this season) while ALL the other top teams received their season best scores. That seems a little too convenient if you ask me. It does seem reasonable, at least for D/W who put on a great SD, to assume that the dance judging panel at Worlds intends to knock the US skaters down a notch or two as Hersh insinuates.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hersh, I just read your latest on Mens & Ladies, and I say once again I'm glad you're watching; this Worlds is going to go down as one of the worst ever for the Americans.

And it doesn't help for you to coddle Alissa & Jeremy, they're both grown adults, they know what they did wrong. Articles like what you wrote only do a disservice to them, as well as the USFSA. That was their decision, nobody forced them, deal with it, and stop trying to lay blame where none exists. You do a disservice to America as well. :disagree:

It does seem reasonable, at least for D/W who put on a great SD, to assume that the dance judging panel at Worlds intends to knock the US skaters down a notch or two as Hersh insinuates.

The judging panel consists of judges from nine different countries, most of which have no horse in the race. Why would they want to knock U.S. skaters down?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually I think Hersh makes some good points. It is VERY SUSPICIOUS that the top two US dance pairs received very low scores (compared to their best this season) while ALL the other top teams received their season best scores. That seems a little too convenient if you ask me. It does seem reasonable, at least for D/W who put on a great SD, to assume that the dance judging panel at Worlds intends to knock the US skaters down a notch or two as Hersh insinuates.

Virtue/Moir didn't recieve a season's best in the FD.

The Shibutanis lost an entire element in the FD.

D/W had the best BEST this season in the FD and SD. Stands to reason that as gifted as they are, it would be harder for them to match that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

So will you say the same thing about the American Men being lowballed today? Should scores be analyzed and compared without regard to the performances?

fscric

On the Ice
When a 'journalist' blamed the USFSA for messing up Czisny's fragile mentality because they didn't send her to 4CC while Abbott was not given the same excuse, how can anyone take his words seriously? He's a joke.

^ Abbott was named to the Four Continents team, but voluntarily withdrew, preferring to rest and recuperate.

Czisny expected to be invited, too, but she wasn't. So Hersh is saying that the USFSA hurt Alissa's feelings, but not Jeremy's.

fscric

On the Ice
You're right! But my opinion about this journalist stands having read his nonsense for a few years. :)

^ I don't think so. I think they both decided that they wanted to go and asked the USFSA to send them. I believe that their coaches strategy for both skaters was to try to work in upgraded technical content (a quad in the short program for Jeremy, a 2A+3T in the long program for Alissa), in a competition that did not mean very much.

The plan backfired, but I think that was what they were hoping to accomplish.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
^ I don't think so. I think they both decided that they wanted to go and asked the USFSA to send them. I believe that their coaches strategy for both skaters was to try to work in upgraded technical content (a quad in the short program for Jeremy, a 2A+3T in the long program for Alissa), in a competition that did not mean very much.

The plan backfired, but I think that was what they were hoping to accomplish.

Then they and Hersh have no one else to blame. I think it's stupid for Jeremy to bypass 4CC and take on later competition. Even though Jeremy's reason to skip 4CC was back injury, somehow I believe if Jeremy wanted to go, he could definitely go to that competition. This was Jeremy, Alissa, and their coaches' costly mistake.