Ladies - Short Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

tampro1

Rinkside
Alissa would do well to remember what she did 3 years ago at Worlds in Los Angeles after a similarly disheartening SP skate left her well out of the last 2 LP groups. With the pressure off, she rebounded quite nicely in the LP to finish 8th in that segment and 11th overall. It was a much deeper field of ladies at that Worlds, being the pre-Olympic season, than Worlds this year, so she has to have hope that if she can muster the same type of performance in the LP here, then a top 10 finish is not out of the realm of possibility.

I thought her program was good aside from the jumps and falls. I know what that sounds like. I agree that the pressure is off and she can just go out there and skate for herself. The 3rd spot is lost, even though that was just an outside chance given the recent performances. I hope she skates to her ability and goes out with a bang! It is unlikely she will be held up again at Nationals like she was this year. She'll be a terrific show skater.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hersh believes a head so easily messed with should be counted on, with all the coddling and TLC bestowed as required.

lavender

Record Breaker
Love Mao, Carolina, Alissa but I also love Akiko and I think it would be awesome for her to take the prize. Hey I wouldn't mind Elene taking the crown. I'm also hoping Ashley and Alissa skate great to get 3 spots back. ..nevermind on this point since Alissa is in 16th place...wow. Need to stop being surprised.

Missing Caroline Z... I do think she's more reliable.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa is in 16th place?! Yikes! The Americans would have done better with Rachael Flatt!

christinaskater

Medalist
21:36:00 - 21:43:50 19 Alena LEONOVA RUS
21:43:50 - 21:51:40 20 Mao ASADA JPN
21:51:40 - 21:59:30 21 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN
21:59:30 - 22:07:20 22 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
22:07:20 - 22:15:10 23 Akiko SUZUKI JPN
22:15:10 - 22:23:00 24 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Alyssa could have been scored even lower too imho. I honestly don't see how Kostner or Mukami deserved to beat Leonova. Really I don't see any of the skaters worthy of world gold otther than Alyssa, Ashley or Mao if they are on because Carolina has never been in my mind a real champion without the lutz. Asquared (Ash and Aly are out of gold contention now probably) so it is up to Mao. But Alena deserves a medal; for years Carolina has been the lucky one and gotten medals left and right despite some awful skates so I think Alena deserves one too.

All three of them are gold material but only if they deliver and so far, no one has. Ashley is probably out of gold medal contention but stranger things have happened. Who actually thought Alena was going to win the SP? People were off of their game today and Alena capitalized on that. Who wins comes down to who has the best skate of the night and if Ashley lays it down in the LP and others fail to deliver she could end up in 1st place...it's not probable but it is possible. Alissa recovering enough to win gold is probably impossible. She'd have to raise her technical content (to like a 3lz-3t and a 2a-3t) and deliver everything perfectly...the likelihood of that happening is very very very very low...

As for Alena, she deserves a medal when and if she earns it. Winning the SP doesn't guarantee you a medal; she's going to have to earn it. And for the record I still don't believe Carolina deserved that silver medal she won in 2008; that is Yukari Nakano's medal in my mind.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
If this doesn't tell USFS to STOP basing the World team solely on Nationals, I don't know what will. They need to send to Worlds those who are skating well NOW, not those who skated well (or were held up!) TWO whole months ago. It seems to work well for gymnastics. Zhang has never gotten her due domestically; she historically scores better internationally. USFS needs to get a clue. Zhang's bronze at 4CC combined with Czisny's all out bomb at a no-pressure Challenge Cup should have been the cue to send Zhang to Worlds. Zhang is hitting a TRIPLE LOOP TRIPLE LOOP in the SHORT PROGRAM, for pete's sake!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
So tell me, who should have gone instead? Zawadzki? (and don't tell me she'd have done any better than 10th in the short anyway...)

It's the American ladies in general. We just CANNOT put it together when it counts! It doesn't matter WHO we send. The past 5 years should have told us that already...

I've said many times. Caroline Zhang should have gotten the Silver. I was there. I've seen it first hand, and the responses first hand. Caroline was robbed.
Agnes would have scored a bit better than whatever Czisny did here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Time schedule is up (though not listed online yet).

Oh Polina K. She has to skate 2nd. Those PCS scores are not going to be great that early.

Ashley has a great draw, last in the second to last group. Alissa's draw is not bad either.

Ksenia is last..hm that could be interesting, especially since her LP is kind of eh. She could totally rise up to the occasion or melt down.

R.D.

Record Breaker
HOW CAN PHIL HERSH DEFEND CZISNY?!?!?! I just don't get it! She was off the mark all season long, SHE was the one who chose to go to the Netherlands...SHE was the one who couldn't rise to the occasion today despite the skaters before her (save Leonova) leaving the door wide open...what excuse does she have? Sorry- USFS can be criticized for many things, but NOT this.

How can you defend someone who showed absolutely no fight, no resolve, and gave up as soon as she made her first mistake? My. God.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who wins comes down to who has the best skate of the night and if Ashley lays it down in the LP and others fail to deliver she could end up in 1st place...it's not probable but it is possible.

Gold is out of reach for her I'm afraid. A bronze may not be TOTALLY out of the question if crazy things occur, but 4th-6th is most likely for her IMHO

Alissa recovering enough to win gold is probably impossible. She'd have to raise her technical content (to like a 3lz-3t and a 2a-3t) and deliver everything perfectly...the likelihood of that happening is very very very very low...

I have a better chance at winning Mega Millions...and I don't even have a ticket. :sarcasm:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Such a double standard. Rachael does poorly last year (and not even at the level Alissa did today) and Hersh tells her to retire but Alissa completely had a complete meltdown and says its USFS' fault? Whatever.

That was the first thing came to my mind when I read Hersh's reaction about Alissa. Hersh likes Alissa so much that he insists on finding faults on others. Alissa is such a fragile doll whom everyone would pay extra sympathy on. But let it go Hersh! No one to blame but Czisny herself!

Last edited:

raress

On the Ice
From what I can remember is the 3'rd year in a row when Ksenia skates last!:))....That is strange!:|

skfan

Final Flight
Why does Akiko have to skate again after Caro!

why is that so bad? are you expecting caro to bring down the house?

that's a good draw IMO. if caro clearly hands back the medal the judging panels were about to give her... and frankly the look on caro's face before she skated the SP gave me the impression that even skating the SP with the same jump content she has been doing all season was not going to be a picnic. if even the SP with same-old-content was hit & miss, then doing an LP with upgraded content and much more pressure... a jump layout she's only tried out once at a minimal-pressure event...

i wish the best for caro and mao but since i'm by nature a pessimist i don't expect them to do well, with mao's stubbornness about the 3a (love her attitude and dread it at the same time) and caro's spotty record under pressure...

i think gold is between alena and akiko. maybe murakami, if JSF is ready to annoint her.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This has become a US thread, but there are other skaters in he world too, working hard….

Wow, I thought Akiko was underscored in the PCS, then Viktoria gets positively pummeled in PCS. I don't get Viktoria's ~25 PCS at all. She has lovely basic skating, flow and all around movement and body awareness.

Had to watch this word up: "hit hard over and over again" :laugh: I agree. Maybe the Swedes should walk in the corridors politikin better. Again Viktoria got lower PCS than Alissa with her bad 2-falls performance. And no US judges :confused: Suppose the judges just score what they like or not, not caring about rules or politics :biggrin: