Ladies - Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Becki

Medalist
Well... that was thoroughly disappointing. Doubles everywhere... Unfortunately, the majority of them deserved the scores they got. A double knocks out about 5 points in TCS and likely 1 point off PCS, which is why so many didn't get their seasons best. (Yuna Kim, please come back, and for an entire season this time.)

I know this sounds rather silly....but I bet if Yuna Kim decided to start training a few weeks ago for this week's World Championships, she might have won this competition with little effort...

gioccia

On the Ice
if Kanako wins, that would be just wrong...as you often say here.. figure skating is not only TES. She was sharp, rough... that was not women's skating. Alena sold THIS program, she'll be different in the LP. Akiko's music allowed her to be sharp, but she was rather elegant on the ice, Kanako's music was different, I can't understand why she behaved like an animal. (forgive me my poor English to describe it softer)

Art&Sport

Medalist
The US just has a different Lady to blame each year.

Yeah, rub it in. The U.S. have a long and rich tradition of Ladies champions!!! Maribel Vinson Owen, Laurence Owen, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Rosalynn Sumners, Elaine Zayak, Linda Fratianne, Tiffany Chin, Jill Trenary, Debi Thomas, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Nicole Bobek, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan. Show us another country that has a similar long and rich tradition, please (and I'm not talking recent history, b/c Japan is right up there in recent history). There is and will not be another Michelle Kwan in ladies' figure skating (someone who dominates for nearly ten years with CONSISTENCY, grace, courage and class both on and off the ice). The U.S. has been spoiled, but it is not as if there is another very dominant lady from other countries. Not even Yu Na had the consistency and length of career that Michelle had.

Overall, the ladies field in general is boring. That's why the Men have been closing the show in recent years.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting to note that not a single lady scored above a 7.89 in any of the combined PCS components. There are definitely very tough judging panels at this Worlds, which is so odd!

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I know this sounds rather silly....but I bet if Yuna Kim decided to start training a few weeks ago for this week's World Championships, she might have won this competition with little effort...

This is what everyone thought last year too...and at 2010 worlds. Let's not start this "what if".

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
yes, playing it safe and easy to rack +GOE's

Sad....considering back in 2007 everyone was throwing 3F+3T, 3F+3Lo, 3Lz+3Lo like free pop corns in theater..!! At least good to know, the Russian babies are armed with harder triple triples .... hope they that standard

lilshorty

On the Ice
These are great standings so far for the Japanese ladies. Kanako 2nd, Mao 4th, and Akiko 5th. At least one of them will be on the podium and I will be happy for whoever it is!

Will a Russian lady make the podium this year? I'm no fan of Alena, but so far, it looks to be that way if she can hold on.

Ashley still has a chance for a top 5 placement and that would be a great achievement for her in my book. Alissa on the other hand (16th) should probably hope to make top 10 at best. Oh well.

Becki

Medalist
This is what everyone thought last year too...and at 2010 worlds. Let's not start this "what if".

But the last time she got anything below 59 in the SP was in 2008. At 2010 Worlds, the field wasn't exactly "watered-down" and ditto for 2011.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Interesting to note that not a single lady scored above a 7.89 in any of the PCS components. There are definitely very tough judging panels at this Worlds, which is so odd!

If the same judges are going to be there for men, guess no one will be scoring well or breaking any world records soon.... hope they keep in consistent throughout entire competition...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wrong, they're going to be overscoring for the man, breaking records. The complete opposite of the women.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If the same judges are going to be there for men, guess no one will be scoring well or breaking any world records soon.... hope they keep in consistent throughout entire competition...

You wish! I thought the judges for Ladies' events are different from the judges for men's events. Any confirmation from the knowledgable people here?

periperi

On the Ice
I want the name of the judge who gave Alena a 9.00 for skating skills. The hell? I don't see a single one for Kostner.

Art&Sport

Medalist
If Alissa is to retire, then I hope some fire and confidence comes to her so that she can maybe pull up to at least 8th place, and that Ashley can skate to her best and at least land in 4th or 5th. That's best case scenario. Not even thinking so much to get a third spot for U.S. ladies, but just for Ash and Alissa to maintain their self-respect and end this season on a happy note after all their hard work.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
The US can still get three spots. Ashley can move up to fifth with a decent LP, with Kostner, Leonova, Suzuki and Mao ahead of her. She can easily make up six points on Murakami. The big question is Alyssa. If she can deliver a three triple free (I know that's a big IF), Alyssa can move in front of the ninth through fifteenth place skaters, plus Makarova who can easily implode in the LP. It's a long shot, but I'm not giving up hope yet.

Best skate of the day for me was Elena G's. Forget the 1A, that girl has beauty and passion and she has willed herself back into contention out of nowhere. I hope she can repeat the 3-3 in the FS.

If Yu Na and Tarasova didn't kill Mao, the 3A did. She struggles mightily, but this woman has had one too many monkeys on her back.

Kanako, Carolina, Akiko, Ashley, Mao, ElGed - don't let Alena win this thing!