Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I think their scores were noticably inflated early in the season and brought back to reasonable levels after the GPF. Their scores were so overblown - even when there were glitches - it called attention to itself and was rectified. Their scores at this competition weren't low; the GP scores were nonsense.

They're excellent, excellent. But still, the early scoring didn't appear to be scoring what was on the ice, but something else.

Since it was so costly, I would appreciate any dance expert here taking the time to do a point by point analysis of D/W's level 3 steps v. V.M's level 4 steps. Also why V/M's awkward neck-choking lifts got more GOE than D/W's lifts. I'm sure Meryl & Charlie would appreciate it too.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I found V/M's fd memorable, but not for the reasons they're hoping, I'm sure. To me, it reminded me of everything else they've done, with a couple exceptions. They play characters who are in love, and will dance about it, and now they're exchanging loving glances, and so on and..just not my cup of tea.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I found V/M's fd memorable, but not for the reasons they're hoping, I'm sure. To me, it reminded me of everything else they've done, with a couple exceptions. They play characters who are in love, and will dance about it, and now they're exchanging loving glances, and so on and..just not my cup of tea.

This is exactly how I feel about D/W. They have been skating to music that carries them, while Charlie whips Meryl around like she's a plaything and she chases him around while making the O face.

I'd actually be interested in seeing what would happen if V/M skated D/W's program and vice versa.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some thoughts I posted on the other thread on The Edge:

The competition today really came down to levels (as I've said all along). The gap there in the FD was 1.5 points, which would be a good chunk of the 2.7 margin V/M had today. Let's remember that levels were subject to the tech committee, not the judges.

As for the actual judging (i.e. the 9 judges), the margin was much smaller. PCS was only .85 down while the margin in +GOE was even less at .35.

So as far as I'm concerned, the judge see them as a fair heat; it's just the tech controller decided to mark D/W with an extra level 3 element.

I think it will continue to be close with those two.

So as far as execution V/M barely squeaked by D/W. And I don't consider .85 margin in PCS a huge mandate for V/M either. (Especially considering that V/M only won each of the PCS marks by .14, .18, .18, .18 (and they were tied in performance).)

Let's remember that the levels (base value) is determined by the opinion of three people. The judging by the 9 judges is done on +GOE and PCS — they only judge on how well the element was executed not on the levels.

So really, all that talk about having no US judge actually was just that -- talk. When it came to THAT judging, they were pretty even.

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Congrats to Tessa and Scott on their win today. It was a difficult battle with Tessa's injuries, but they did it and I'm so proud of them. Congrats to the silver and bronze medallists as well. An honorable mention to W&P for their 2 beautiful programs.......next year guys!!!!

auser

Record Breaker
This is exactly how I feel about D/W. They have been skating to music that carries them, while Charlie whips Meryl around like she's a plaything and she chases him around while making the O face.

I'd actually be interested in seeing what would happen if V/M skated D/W's program and vice versa.
Even more sacrilegiously, I wonder what would happen if Tessa Virtue skated with Charlie White;)

skatingbc

Final Flight
Even more sacrilegiously, I wonder what would happen if Tessa Virtue skated with Charlie White;)

Ugh. I don't think I would want to watch that team to be honest. I'm not a big fan of Charlie's style, to be honest. I think he would overwhelm Tessa and we wouldn't get to see her as much in their programs.

Macassar88

Medalist
I kind of want to watch Elena Ilinykh and Scott skate together. They're both really good at bringing the sex and passion to dance. (Although it might be a little weird with the age difference)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I kind of want to watch Elena Ilinykh and Scott skate together. They're both really good at bringing the sex and passion to dance. (Although it might be a little weird with the age difference)

I'd like Elena to skate with just about anyone else! She's clearly the better skate of the two and I feel like he's holding her back.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
OMG, exactly. V/M's dances are difficult and boring, whereas D/W's are difficult and exciting (therefore harder to pull off). I think we have just witnessed that IJS, while it has rid dance of the Russians, has not gotten rid of the problems of rep, favoritism, skating order, and "saving room".

The issue with levels really needs to be looked at. There is no explanation why one team is level 3 and the other level 4. "Their edges were deeper." Really? Show us. It sounds like an explanation pulled out of someone's bum to cover up favoritism.

I think the problem of levels is not clear at all, even in singles and pairs, but at least with those disciplines you can clearly see when someone trips/falls/2-foots, but in dance (at least with these top teams) you can't see the "errors" at all.

The only thing I can think of is that D/W are so good, that they keep getting picked apart for "mistakes" that aren't really there, and are judged harsher than some other teams who can just coast by. D/W are so flashy, fast, and outgoing (the opposite of V/M) that they are under the microscope and it appears as if the judges are taking off points, just so the judges can validate their own existence, and appear to be "fair" but it's going so far, that it's actually unfair.

That would be your opinion. Along with many skaters and experts and fans past and present, I think V/M are phenominal, and the best out there today. When they retire, they will be regarded as one of the all time greats. What they do is magical. What you find boring, I find incredibly interesting....everything is polished down to the fingertips and pointed toes, the looks, the leg lines and unison, the innovation. And all the difficulty is made to look so easy, and has such a lightness and softness about it. Just amazing! I am very pleased that V/M were finally rewarded for having such an innovative and boundary-pushing program, and for doing it so well. It wasn't their best performance, but they also didn't get a season's best score or a personal best. The technical score was 7 points lower than their PCS, which is reflective of their performance.

D/W had a great skate today, but so did V/M. I actually like both teams, and think it is wonderful that we get to enjoy 2 very different teams and programs. But the quality of V/M is just better than anything in the world right now, and their connection is phenominal. V/M play with the music and interpret it, but D/W are carried by their music.

The levels are very clear to the skaters and coaches. The difference between a level 3 and a level 4 step sequence is the number and type of turns, edges, etc. The tech caller will count them, and usually review them as well. The main difference between these 2 teams is primarily on the step sequences. D/W received 2 level 3 step sequences. V/M received 1 level 3 step sequence. As everyone anticipated, the primary difference would be in the tech levels. That's what happened here. There is little difference on PCS or GOE. V/M were given just a minute lead on GOE and PCS, which is reflective of the very strong peformance of D/W, and the innovation and brilliance of V/M. They were almost tied in that department.

I think the results are fair, and we can look at the report cards/protocols to see this.

I'm actually sad for W/P. I think they were seriously underscored as compared to P/B. There is no way they should receive a 6 for PCS anywhere. On PCS, they should have beat P/B both days. On the tech side, both teams are very close, so I'm ok with P/B winning out on tech. I'm really looking forward to see what W/P will do next year. They will need to improve the step and linking difficulty in order to get on the podium. They have the rest. And it is so great to see them have such confidence and joy in their skating. They are still young, they have the habit of hard work, and I think they can still improve a lot.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Dragonlady said:
I hope P&B enjoy their "lifetime achievement award" because next year Worlds are in Canada and P&B won't be getting any home-team PCS in their scores.

Oh, how nice of you for hoping that :rolleye:
The WC might be kinda crazy this year, but all this bitching around is way worse.

Just in between... I'm usually not watching IceDance so I'm not too sure about this - but wasn't it Charlie White who landed straight on his behind during one of the Grand Prix events and they still got a 10 in SS? And that was not weird judging?
I don't think they were scored so wrong here... should have been closer to V/M in the FD (maybe even bet them, but close anyway), but not as close in the SD. Outcome is okay for me. But I have to admit both pairs don't really get to me that much... I've had fingers crossed for W/P and B/P. Or to be more precise, the one person here I really adore here: Mr. Camerlengo. I'm more on Team Camerlengo than anything else... :laugh:

Macassar88

Medalist
I'd like Elena to skate with just about anyone else! She's clearly the better skate of the two and I feel like he's holding her back.

Funny that you say that. I know a lot of people who would agree with you but just as many who think that Nikita is the better of the two. They both have their good qualities, and I think that they are good for each other. I also love their one foot lift.

auser

Record Breaker
Ugh. I don't think I would want to watch that team to be honest. I'm not a big fan of Charlie's style, to be honest. I think he would overwhelm Tessa and we wouldn't get to see her as much in their programs.
I respect your taste and preference, but I think Tessa is such a superior ice dancer, I can't imagine anyone (with any sense) being able to completely overwhelm her.

icefan1005

Rinkside
Shouldn't the components also reflect the fact that V/M free is basically the most forgettable among the final group? :disapp:

IMO, it wasn't the "most forgettable" as you say. Anyway, congrats to all the winners. For me, the placement is right, and they all deserved it :)

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
as much as I did predict V/M would win, I don't think the score should be that high of a gap compared with D/W
and I am happy I/K are the highest rank russian ice dance and could be heading to No.1 rus team :)

will Russia retain 3 spots for Ice Dance ?
If so, I am sat R/T will not compete next year, :no:
Viktoria and Ruslan will get those spot as they are clearly the best upcoming Russian Ice Dance team

Almost all my 2012 wishlist so far came true :

Tukt winning YOG
Gracie winning US Juniors
Gracie Medaling at Junior World
Julia winning Junior Worlds
now I/K now the New Russian No.1 Ice dance :)

I hope my other wish lists comes true
I hope I wont Jinx my baby YUZURU !!!! :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just in between... I'm usually not watching IceDance so I'm not too sure about this - but wasn't it Charlie White who landed straight on his behind during one of the Grand Prix events and they still got a 10 in SS? And that was not weird judging?

no, Scott Moir fell but I don't believe he was completing an element at the time, so he was not penelized for anything but the fall... it was shocking because of who it was, but IIRC it didn't detract as much as it could have from the program. They came in second at that event.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That would be your opinion. Along with many skaters and experts and fans past and present, I think V/M are phenominal, and the best out there today. When they retire, they will be regarded as one of the all time greats. What they do is magical. What you find boring, I find incredibly interesting....everything is polished down to the fingertips and pointed toes, the looks, the leg lines and unison, the innovation. And all the difficulty is made to look so easy, and has such a lightness and softness about it. Just amazing! I am very pleased that V/M were finally rewarded for having such an innovative and boundary-pushing program, and for doing it so well. It wasn't their best performance, but they also didn't get a season's best score or a personal best. The technical score was 7 points lower than their PCS, which is reflective of their performance.

D/W had a great skate today, but so did V/M. I actually like both teams, and think it is wonderful that we get to enjoy 2 very different teams and programs. But the quality of V/M is just better than anything in the world right now, and their connection is phenominal. V/M play with the music and interpret it, but D/W are carried by their music.

The levels are very clear to the skaters and coaches. The difference between a level 3 and a level 4 step sequence is the number and type of turns, edges, etc. The tech caller will count them, and usually review them as well. The main difference between these 2 teams is primarily on the step sequences. D/W received 2 level 3 step sequences. V/M received 1 level 3 step sequence. As everyone anticipated, the primary difference would be in the tech levels. That's what happened here. There is little difference on PCS or GOE. V/M were given just a minute lead on GOE and PCS, which is reflective of the very strong peformance of D/W, and the innovation and brilliance of V/M. They were almost tied in that department.

I think the results are fair, and we can look at the report cards/protocols to see this.

I'm actually sad for W/P. I think they were seriously underscored as compared to P/B. There is no way they should receive a 6 for PCS anywhere. On PCS, they should have beat P/B both days. On the tech side, both teams are very close, so I'm ok with P/B winning out on tech. I'm really looking forward to see what W/P will do next year. They will need to improve the step and linking difficulty in order to get on the podium. They have the rest. And it is so great to see them have such confidence and joy in their skating. They are still young, they have the habit of hard work, and I think they can still improve a lot.

I think I agree with everything you said here, for the most part.

I don't quite agree that "Funny Face" is innovative and boundary-pushing program. I think I would put Pink Floyd or Mahler in that category. They did "Funny Face" well and it was certainly well executed, but boundary-pushing? I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one.

asunta

Rinkside

exactly well said :laugh:
both teams have same repeating motifs

V/M FD program was not very original but still classy enough for me.
I'm not great fan of D/W FD program this year. I was tired watchnig this constantly the same Charlie's dashing arms movement, but he had to do it on and on to keep typical whirling, swirling momentum of waltz.

Last edited: