Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

leafygreens

Final Flight
Just a thought:

There are classless D/W fans and classless V/M fans. As there have been intelligent and engaging fans of both.

I'm not talking about the fans, I'm talking about the athletes, specifically Scott Moir who showed his true colors at GPF, calling their losing (not the computer scoring error) a "piss off" after he fell. This incident made them so unlikeable as people. Good thing they somehow finagled a win this year, or we'd no doubt be treated to more colorful vocabulary.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
After seeing CBC ' s broadcasting, I really think D/W should have won. I also enjoyed Italian and French team's performance a lot. I love Tessa Even more for admitting that was not a perfect skating, it's laughable That Scott said that there were small bubbles only they know. I as a not so keen dance fan already noticed them. one can also feel from the audience's reaction who had better performance tonight. feel sorry for the Americans.

Last edited:
A little bit off topic on this Worlds thread, but I had a completely different reading of Scott Moir's tirade at the Grand Prix Final. I thought it was in the spirit of, Doggone it! We''re the best team in the last five years; losing like this just isn't acceptable. We are going to start training tomorrow and come out like gangbusters for Worlds!

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is interesting how little things changed from last year. It was going to be DW or VM for gold and P/B for bronze. A huge mistake allowed S/S to win bronze instead of P/B. Still Russia can not enter into contention for a medal. This is disturbing and alarming for Russia because Weaver and Poje did enter into contention for a medal while none of the Russians team could. It is very distrubing and alrming because I/K did great. One of them or both messed up on the complusory patterns very bad because they got negative GOE on both CD's in the SD. How can I/K become the W/P next year? BobSol had distrubing technical problems in the FD. They need help. I/K needs major help to be Weaver Poje or Pech Bourz. If PechBourz had made a mistake once again a north american team was in positions to take advantage not a Russian team. They need major reforms.

Also with the Shibutatni's they missed the entire twizzle in the free dance. Not even a little credit like P/B got last year on the step sequence where they both fell. They just messed up here bad.

skatingbc

Final Flight
If D/W had lost on PCS alone, then I could completely understand some of their fans frustrations. However, they lost on PCS AND Technical. One of their step sequences, while exciting and well-performed, was not deemed as difficult as V/M's. Maybe there's some conspiracy to not give them the credit they deserve, but I think that explanation is a cop-out and is disrespectful to the team that won. Figure skating will NEVER be as objective as we all want it to be. Both D/W and V/M had fantastic seasons. Can we lay off the conspiracy theories and comment on the actual skating?

leafygreensI seriously doubt the judges care at all what Scott Moir thinks of them. I'd probably say the exact same thing if I felt that I worked my tail off to get to a certain point but it didn't pay off the way I wanted it to. People get frustrated, get over it.

I think it's laughable that people actually think the judges propped V/M up because Scott was upset in a media article. Seriously?

leafygreens

Final Flight
A little bit off topic on this Worlds thread, but I had a completely different reading of Scott Moir's tirade at the Grand Prix Final. I thought it was in the spirit of, Doggone it! We''re the best team in the last five years; losing like this just isn't acceptable. We are going to start training tomorrow and come out like gangbusters for Worlds!

But why should any team just assume that they are the best team in five years? Even if you think it, you don't say it, unless you want to come off as very holier-than-thou.

Sea Shells

Spectator
I am so upset about D/W's loss. I am in Canada, but support David and White wholeheartedly. This result saddens me to my very boots.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^^ It is only a sport competition. Someone has to win. There is always the next time. Fandom is supposed to be fun.

leafygreens

Final Flight
If D/W had lost on PCS alone, then I could completely understand some of their fans frustrations. However, they lost on PCS AND Technical. One of their step sequences, while exciting and well-performed, was not deemed as difficult as V/M's.

Why would D/W's step sequence all of a sudden not be "as difficult"? Do you think their coaches would let either team go all season competing a step sequence that wasn't the proper level of difficulty? Is that same step sequence just all of a sudden not as difficult at 4C's and Worlds, but it was difficult before? Why was D/W rated so high in everything early in the season, and then, later in the season when they are better than they were before, they get lower scores? If D/W were overmarked in the beginning of the season, why wouldn't their levels/scores stay somewhat static as they improved, rather than dropping so precipitously? It defies logic.

leafygreensI seriously doubt the judges care at all what Scott Moir thinks of them. I'd probably say the exact same thing if I felt that I worked my tail off to get to a certain point but it didn't pay off the way I wanted it to. People get frustrated, get over it.

If D/W said the same thing, would people get over it? Don't think so. The judges may not care, but I as a skating fan care, and so do many others. V/M are celebrities, in positions of responsibility. The fact that Scott said that comment and expected no accountability for it is extremely telling.

skatingbc

Final Flight

Totally agree. I thought that, more than anything, the quote was pointed towards himself and that it was his responsibility to pick up the pace and work harder.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
The media should just stop second guessing they are not experts or judges, the judges on the panel today have been judging V&M and D&W since they were juniors same thing happenned in salt lake with sale and pelletier and Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, B&S easily deserved the gold for a new and difficult program while sale and pelletier were using recycled elements but because they skated clean they automatically deserved gold it does not work that way.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Why would D/W's step sequence all of a sudden not be "as difficult"? Do you think their coaches would let either team go all season competing a step sequence that wasn't the proper level of difficulty? Is that same step sequence just all of a sudden not as difficult at 4C's and Worlds, but it was difficult before? Why was D/W rated so high in everything early in the season, and then, later in the season when they are better than they were before, they get lower scores? If D/W were overmarked in the beginning of the season, why wouldn't their levels/scores stay somewhat static as they improved, rather than dropping so precipitously? It defies logic.

If D/W said the same thing, would people get over it? Don't think so. The judges may not care, but I as a skating fan care, and so do many others. V/M are celebrities, in positions of responsibility. The fact that Scott said that comment and expected no accountability for it is extremely telling.

Since the levels are determined by how many turns you do, the directions, how long you stay on one foot, etc., if you miss one turn or one edge, it can lower the level you receive. The step sequences are so intricately choreographed and are much more difficult to perform than I can even imagine. It's not the same as doing a jump or even a levelled spin or lift. The slightest mistake can lower the level you receive, bottom line. The most obvious example is the choctaw in the rhumba sequence.

I would definitely get over it if D/W said something like that, absolutely. In fact, I would welcome it. PC interviews are getting a little old.

rain

Record Breaker
The judges may not care, but I as a skating fan care, and so do many others. V/M are celebrities, in positions of responsibility. The fact that Scott said that comment and expected no accountability for it is extremely telling.

I wish people would get the heck over it, too. Think of an unwise thing you've said in the heat of the moment out of frustration. Then imagine strangers judging your entire personality, attitude and worthiness (to win, place, have a good performance, continue to live) on that one statement for the rest of your life, even though you've made numerous other very respectful comments praising all of your rivals on a regular basis for years. Yeah. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Move on.

Everyone knew this was going to be a tight competition between gold and silver and it was. But I find it fascinating how much closer D/W and V/M rivals have come to them in the space of a year. Pechelat/Bourzat were nipping on their heals at this worlds, and, like many others, I think Weaver and Poje could have been a lot closer, too. It's still a while until Sochi, and already the top of the podium has become more up for grabs, I think.

But why should any team just assume that they are the best team in five years? Even if you think it, you don't say it, unless you want to come off as very holier-than-thou.

Nah, it's just the old playground boast. Me and my bunch of guys can beat the gang from across the street! Come on!

rain

Record Breaker
Nah, it's just the old playground boast. Me and my bunch of guys can beat the gang from across the street! Come on!

I find it amusing that we hear so often of talented skaters who tend to be headcases that they just don't believe strongly enough that they can be the best. Then we get skaters who do, in fact, believe they are the best, and they get smacked down for being arrogant. Can't have it both ways. Given that the ones who think they should be on top of the podium are generally more successful than the ones who are more timid, I think perhaps the "arrogant" attitude is the way to go....

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Davis/White completely attacked that program, they were flying out there, and skated totally crisp. It was technically better than Virtue/Moir and I found their overall musical interpretation to be better as well. Virtue/Moir still show the best range and interpersonal connection and performance ability out of any dance team out there, but they didn't skate this their best and it's not one of their best dances.

CAS

On the Ice
I want to save this for another thread, but I think we will really see some shake-ups next season.

I would put money on it. People were saying all season that V&M and D&W were in a league of their own, miles ahead of the others, untouchable but just look at the numbers from Nice to see how the playing field just got leveled. I thought the first shake-up was going to come here in Nice but I think P&B just didn't have a good enough FD theme to overtake the other two. If they had last years FD I think the podium might have been a bit different.

gioccia

On the Ice
I think T&S rocked it - yet they had more fire in the 4CC but the expressions here were wonderful and they became the characters.

D&W had a good solid performance but I didnt find them as light on their feet as they usually are.

While T&S have grown through the season I dont think I can say the same about D&W.

I share the same feelings, but nontheless...the fact that they got so much more in the FD with mistakes (even Russian commentator was surprised with the 4 level twizzles) makes me unhappy. DW skated more beautifully, that dance suits them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The media should just stop second guessing they are not experts or judges, the judges on the panel today have been judging V&M and D&W since they were juniors same thing happenned in salt lake with sale and pelletier and Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, B&S easily deserved the gold for a new and difficult program while sale and pelletier were using recycled elements but because they skated clean they automatically deserved gold it does not work that way.

Would you feel the same way if D/W won?

I think it's reasonable for people to question the technical calls. You may not agree with Phil Hersh (and sometimes I don't; in fact I don't really agree with him here), but he has always acknowledged his opinion as just that — his opinion.

You keep going on an on with the same meme of Virtue and Moir's program is being "more difficult" without explaining why you think it's more difficult. And to add insult to injury you INSULT Meryl's ability by saying she is dependent on Zoueva for choreography as pure fact when it's clearly just your opinion.

Again, isn't it just enough that the team you like won? Why do you have to insult D/W and their fans who also point out their virtues?