Men SP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Men SP

skatinginbc

Medalist
Going clean in figure skating has never just meant not falling, it means not making any deductible errors. Spinning out on the quad and the badly controlled footwork sequence start are both errors requiring deductions. If not falling is the sole determinant of going clean, then almost all the skaters went clean so far. :sarcasm:
Besides what you just mentioned, I think Chan's performance was flat, nervous and tight, not convincingly playful as the music required. Yet strangely he has the highest scores so far in IN, PE, and CH, all better than Dai's.

blainechan

Match Penalty
Who else besides Chan and Takahashi had the intricate choreography, transitions, and skating skills Abbott has?

You see, when Chan made mistakes, some people thought his PCS should reflect on that as well. I'd like to know from those people why it's not reflect on Abbott's PCS?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe the Americans will start looking elsewhere to save figure skating in the US instead of putting all the blame on COP.

blainechan

Match Penalty
Let's hope that Chan pulls off another 4CC LP to shake off his SP nervousness!:rock:
I think he can do it. I think SP is always more scary than LP. As they always say, you can't win the SP, but can lose it. Now that SP is done, I'm sure he will be more calm and skate well in LP.

jcoates

Medalist
I don't know what to say, but I can't disagree with you. It's not that the rest of the world has passed us by. If we had skaters who were merely competent but largely reliable, then we could say that. But so many of our top-ranked singles skaters (some with real talent) seem to crumble like a sugar sculpture in a rainstorm. I do wish Davis/White would get more prominence, because they're stunning representatives of American sport. But I also wish we could find someone with a bit of drive and calm who was also good at singles skating.

Really, instead of having Yuka Sato attempt to coach American skaters, she should just come back as a competitive skater and skate for the U.S. She's married to an American, after all. Maybe she has a U.S. passport by now.

I'd take competent and reliable any day at this point. Angela Nikodinov and Matt Savoie, both solid and steady, but frequent also rans in the last decade behind the big stars, would be utterly dominant US champions if they went up against this lot. Not flashy, but way better competitors than this crew.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Besides what you just mentioned, I think Chan's performance was flat, nervous and tight, not convincingly playful as the music required. Yet strangely he has the highest scores so far in IN, PE, and CH, all better than Dai's.

^^ This.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well I would say this is analagous to the much tighter performance of Davis and white in the short dance and look at their marks - sky high. Though in that case there wasw a better team who did beat them. Its my opinion of course only but I am a Dai fan first as to loving his skating; I admit if both are on Chan probably deserves the win for now just because Tak's jumps aren't as secure well the quad :(

Nadine

Record Breaker
Why are they resurfacing the ice *again*!?! :confused2: Seriously, lets get this show on the road and get it over with; can't wait till Worlds is finally over with in a few days. As I said yesterday I am writing this one off. Saturday can't get here soon enough. After the ladies & men complete their FSs I'm done for the season except that Team competition sometime next month. :)

Here's to a better season for the Americans next year. :cool:

Serious Business

Record Breaker

From what I'm seeing, judges seem to have significantly recalibrated how IN, PE and CH are scored now, so I don't know how to judge their judging too exactly yet. But still, while I actually think Chan's SP here was pretty good, Daisuke was out of this world outside his one mistake. He should've beaten Patrick in PCS and wind up in second in the SP.

treeloving

Medalist
I am not done yet since you belittle Patrick Chan like this. Dai WAS a Champ, but not anymore.

What did I do to be littled Patrick, what I mean is even the greatest champion can learn from other. Because learning is a thing that will never stop, regardless you are champ or not.

Sorry if that make you misunderstod and upset.

I"m really really done here, I really don't want to ruin the forum with this.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So far the top Men have underperformed. Not as bad as the Ladies and Pairs. But somebody will likely step up. Fernandez, Hanyu and Gachinsky still to come.

alexeifan

On the Ice
Disappointing worlds so far, even Chan wasn't his best. He didn't sell that program. Same with winner of other disciplines.

blainechan

Match Penalty
And just like clockwork, a hypocritical Chan fan dictates to others that they can't criticize Patrick's marks, but then has no qualms with criticizing the marks of another skater. Jeremy IS a terrific skater; he just isn't the best competitor by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm just wondering why those people who keep complaining about Chan's score get so quiet and silence now that Dia didn't get -1 and Abbott's PCS was way too high. Hypocrisy much?

Lightbulb

Rinkside
Question, is there Zamboni time before the last group? Or I'm really missing the last group skate as my live stream switched to cartoons?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Here's hoping whatever the ISU did to reeducate the judges on PCS have an effect on Gachinski's PCS. A subtractive effect.