LADIES FREE Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

LADIES FREE Skate

Mao88

Record Breaker
the young russians weren't that impressive this year, they could be worse next year who knows

Liza T won 2 senior GP's (beating Kostner in the process) and the YOG's (indeed, she won her first 3 senior competitions), whilst Julia L won the world junior championships and the JGPF by a mile. That in my mind is very impressive. Only Adelina Sotnikova was disappointing, but I think she will come back strongly next season once she has overcome her growth spurt. She had a disappointing season, the season before last, after a growth spurt, but then fought back last season to win the junior GPF and the junior world championships. That tells me that she is a fighter who has the ability to come back from a bad season.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza T won 2 senior GP's (beating Kostner in the process) and the YOG's (indeed, she won her first 3 senior competitions), whilst Julia L won the world junior championships and the JGPF by a mile. That in my mind is very impressive. Only Adelina Sotnikova was disappointing, but I think she will come back strongly next season once she has overcome her growth spurt. She had a disappointing season, the season before last, after a growth spurt, but then fought back last season to win the junior GPF and the junior world championships. That tells me that she is a fighter who has the ability to come back from a bad season.

Kostner was not up to form when Liza beat her. In fact, Alissa beat her, too, at the beginning of the season. Kostner beat her at the GPF soundly. A lot of people beat Kostner over the years, too. Doesn't mean in bigger stage, they can beat a lutzless 5-6 triples Kostner.
The young Russians are impressive as juniors, who knows what they will be as seniors. The way some posters said it made it sound like next year there won't be a spot for Kostner anywhere near the podium.

micnow

Rinkside
And I think Akiko may be the oldest medalist ever?

not quite. Maria Butirskaya was 27 y 276 d when she became bronze medallist in 2000 in Nice too (Akiko is 27 y 3 d today), one year earlier, she became the oldest world champion ever in age of 26.
By the way, the oldest medallist ever was Mrs. Dorothy Greenhough-Smith (Britain) in 1912 at age of 29 y 123 d.

DianaSelene

Medalist
not quite. Maria Butirskaya was 27 y 276 d when she became bronze medallist in 2000 in Nice too (Akiko is 27 y 3 d today), one year earlier, she became the oldest world champion ever in age of 26.
By the way, the oldest medallist ever was Mrs. Dorothy Greenhough-Smith (Britain) in 1912 at age of 29 y 123 d.

What medal color did Greenhough-Smith have?

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't know if this applies in your state but if you have Directv there's a free trial for Universal Sports going on. Just found out.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sigh 5 triple program, no lutz and you get a world championship. the standard for women have dropped a lot since the days of midori, yuka and michelle, by a mile

Yu Na won Worlds with 5 triples. She had a lutz but not a loop. Shizuka won the Olympics with 5 triples, too. Totally agree that standards have dropped since Michelle, et al. When Michelle won with 6 triples it was considered one of her "lesser" efforts, technically. And no one has yet met the standard set by Midori over 20 years ago.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yu Na won Worlds with 5 triples. She had a lutz but not a loop. Shizuka won the Olympics with 5 triples, too. Totally agree that standards have dropped since Michelle, et al. When Michelle won with 6 triples it was considered one of her "lesser" efforts, technically. And no one has yet met the standard set by Midori over 20 years ago.

And Ando won with no flip

romanoff81

Match Penalty
the standard for ladies is pathetic really, the men are now doing quads left and right, the pairs are now even busting side by side triple lutzes, and the dances are doing mind boggling lifts compared to 20 years ago.

Becki

Medalist
She posted same on FB. :) Someone quickly tried to crap in her cornflakes with a comment about 3 spots...

There's no way she could earn 3 spots even with a 1st place finish.......Alissa was 22nd. People should just get off her back, and congratulate her for a successful season!

mskater93

Record Breaker
There's no way she could earn 3 spots even with a 1st place finish.......Alissa was 22nd. People should just get off her back, and congratulate her for a successful season!

I pointed that out to the jerk. :)

Mao88

Record Breaker
Kostner was not up to form when Liza beat her. In fact, Alissa beat her, too, at the beginning of the season. Kostner beat her at the GPF soundly. A lot of people beat Kostner over the years, too. Doesn't mean in bigger stage, they can beat a lutzless 5-6 triples Kostner.
The young Russians are impressive as juniors, who knows what they will be as seniors. The way some posters said it made it sound like next year there won't be a spot for Kostner anywhere near the podium.

Liza T had a disastrous SP at the GPF and was undermarked for her LP. Had she performed as well as she had in her 2 GP wins, she would have won the final.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You have to put it together when it counts, and Liza T did NOT do that in the SP at the GPF in the same way Wagner didn't put out the SP she NEEDED to get on the podium here.

Mao88

Record Breaker
You have to put it together when it counts, and Liza T did NOT do that in the SP at the GPF in the same way Wagner didn't put out the SP she NEEDED to get on the podium here.

Liza T was suffering from burn out by the time of the GPF due to all the travelling she had done, her early start to the season, and it being her first season in seniors (all be it that she could not compete in senior Euro's and Worlds). That's why they decided to curtail her season after the YOG's to give her time to recuperate and prepare for next season. Its hardly surprising therefore that she had problems at the GPF.

I think Ashley more than did her job. The only way she could have done better was to have been on the podium, and since Carolina and Akiko were on fire and Leonova was first after the short program, that wouldn't have been possible. Splendid skating, Ashley! May it be just the first of many national and international achievements.

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
On the whole a poor quality competition. Delighted for Kostner to finally become a world champion, it may not have had the hardest jumps but everything she done she done well. My favourite of the night was Suzuki, it was a wonderfull performance, there just seem to be a realy joy to her skating, I would have had her second. Major kudos to Leonova for getting the silver, she had a deserved lead after the short and while I thought she seemed a bit tense and focused she delivered all the tricks, apart from the Europeans she has had a good season. She has thrown down a gauntlet to juniors coming through. Good performance by Wagner but not as good as she done in the 4CC.

Very dissapointed for Korobeynikova and Czissy. Polina K was a long way of her european skate, if she skated at that level she would have rocketed up the field. Very dissapointed for Czissy, I like her skating but she was a long long way of her best today. The bottom half of the top 10 was full of everstrewn performances, I wonder is this the end for Makarova, a beautiful short but a mess of a long, at least she secured 3 sports for Russia.

Is that the Russains first womand podium since Irina in 2005?

Mao88

Record Breaker
I think Ashley more than did her job. The only way she could have done better was to have been on the podium, and since Carolina and Akiko were on fire and Leonova was first after the short program, that wouldn't have been possible. Splendid skating, Ashley! May it be just the first of many national and international victories.

Fourth place and just out of the medals is the most frustrating position to finish in. Ashley has had a fantastic season given where she was at the beginning of it. If she keeps this up, I have no doubt that she will continue to be in contention for medals at major championships. Moreover, when she went out to skate today, she had the added pressure that Czisny had bombed big time, and she therefore needed to ensure that she did well enough to preserve her country's 2 spots for next years Worlds. That was a lot of pressure to handle. In the circumstances, therefore, she performed magnificently.

Is that the Russains first womand podium since Irina in 2005?

Yes, its the first medal for Russia in ladies at Worlds since Irina won the event in 2005. Leonova finished 4th last year, as did Elena Sokolova in 2006

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Overall, this is the result Speedy/Europeans probably wanted: 2 Europeans, 1 Russian for payback last year, 1 European champion finally get her decade long bonus, and 1 Japanese does't matter who. Everybody get their turn. US's turn is next, maybe Gracie (or *sheepishly whispers* Mirai) would be in time to deliver it.

Carolina Kostner is the rightful winner, won by default of one of the weakest ladies field in years, had Ando and Yuna returned, I doubt she would have enjoyed the favourable momentum this year which surely had became a confidence booster.

The top 3 ladies, none of them produced a 3:3, Carolina doesn't even have a Lutz, and I thought her PCS 65 were over marked relative to Ashley 57, when Ashley actually had the 2nd highest TES out of the ladies tonight and a great program, but ranked 5th overall in PCS. It is lucky then the overmarking wouldn't have made enough of a difference in the rankings, unlike the mens today.

I though Akiko should be ahead of Alena overall, and thought it was a bit lol Alena celebrated after her performance like she had just won the WC already. Gotta love that girl's spunk, simple mindedness mixed with passionate vigor. Overall, Ashley did an amazing job that I knew she would have the FS by the balls :p Great able to climb from 8th till 4th, pity she didn't do as well in the short, otherwise she would have been on the podium already.

My heart goes out to Alissa, this is an utter disaster but then... so what! Tomorrow is another day, and there are more to life than messing up one skate. Hopefully she won't dwell in the past and just get over this voodooed year and move on in a positive way. Look forward to see her on happier terms in Yuna's show in Korea in May! I look forward to Ladies upgraded content next year when the Russian babies (+ 1 US and hopefully Chinese baby) start to bring their arsenal of attacks and hopefully have a few nice pleasant surprise in store for us!

I'd give Mao a break, this year hasn't been easy for her personally, and the non jump parts I saw, there were visible improvements of great quality. It is undoubtedly a lovely program that she performed with a lot f heart this time round. Wish her the best next year to iron out all the issues. I will miss seeing her Jupiter gala this time round.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Kostner win is ok by me, but I think her PCS is over marked. Akiko PCS should have been a little higher, prob around 63-64 range. Leonova PCS was a joke.... she skates half her program without any thing, and her cherography was next to nonexistance. Her PCS should have been ding around 57-58 range. I would have put her in 3rd place. She was over marked in the SP and again in LP.