Pairs free skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Pairs free skate

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I vastly prefer S/S to V/T, especially with this season's programs. But there was no contest tonight. S/S was visibly off all over. Not their best work, though still, of course, very good. V/T earned that massive score with an inspired and perfect skate.

rain

Record Breaker
I personally would give the PCS edge to S/S because the program is just special, but they seemed nervous today and that can reduce your PCS.

For the gold, I'm perfectly fine with S/S winning, particularly since V/T really tanked the SP. I wanted to say that up front so people understand I'm not disputing scores or anything.

I just wanted to comment on S/S's program in general this year. I love the concept of this program. I can see in it the modern dance movements and style the choreography was going for. Unfortunately, I don't think this program ever really got to where it was going. The movements and positions were never hit crisply enough, and there never seemed to be enough commitment to the movements. Possibly this was just a function of having to concentrate to perform the elements. I almost wish they would keep it another year so it could evolve to where I think the program was meant to go, but I'm not sure they'd get there even then. That's left me dissatisfied with the program all season. This performance of it was particularly dissatisfying, as they did seem tight and nervous and therefore distracted from really performing the choreography.

Ah well. Congrats to all the medalists. S/S for gold, V/T for coming back in spectacular fashion for silver and T/T for having by far their best competition of the season and medaling.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
T&T made me cry with joy. They were amazing and created history with a beautiful free skate. It's true it wasn't perfect but WOW anyway.
Her reaction at the KnC was hilarious.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I vastly prefer S/S to V/T, especially with this season's programs. But there was no contest tonight. S/S was visibly off all over. Not their best work, though still, of course, very good. V/T earned that massive score with an inspired and perfect skate.

I agree with all of this. It wasn't major mistakes but little things were very off. They were sometimes not skating as one. I think the scores were fair, and I already am excited for next season.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
No, not really. S/S overcame their nerves, but hit everything. There were some slight timing issues because that program is so difficult in terms of timing, but it didn't throw them off of fully executing their performance. Amazing how solid they were -- they are true fighters and champions. Kudos to V/T also for fighting back so hard. No kudos to those judges for low-balling S/S! I wonder if S/S changed the ending or were just improvising because they may have been slightly ahead of the music. That shows too how difficult the timing is for that ground-breaking program. Right on, Aliona if you were in fact shaking your finger at the judges!!!

Pff, the judges didn't lowballed them at all!! :rolleye: He singled their SBS 2A, they messed up in the SBS spin and their pair spin. That's a lot of errors right there, while V/T were rock solid everywhere. Geez.... The judges got it right, and there really is no point arguing. ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, what skating from V and T. Germans were rather perfunctory. I actually think the judges should have given some more pcs to the Russians (v and t) and thus amazingly the gold but a silver after the Russians short is amazing and admirable. Nice to see the Americans so strong and the Canadianas Duhamel and Rutherford give a nice run for fifth. I do note that the Japanese look rather precarious in third - celebrate now because come 2012-13 they will find it tough with Pang and Tong, the Zhangs, Kavaguti and Smirnov to name a few really giving a decent threat/challenge imho.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pff, the judges didn't lowballed them at all!! :rolleye: He singled their SBS 2A, they messed up in the SBS spin and their pair spin. That's a lot of errors right there, while V/T were rock solid everywhere. Geez.... The judges got it right, and there really is no point arguing. ;)

agreed, the spins were visibly slow

And all the pairs in podium are transnational team!

Golly, you're right! What an interesting result.

And how lovely that V/T made it back to the podium, and that Japan has a pairs medalist now. I haven't seen the programs or even had time to read everyone's posts here, but I gather that S/S weren't at their best? I'm glad they did well enough to hold on and win, though. At their best, they're like no one else, and I always love the chances they take.

:) It kind of cheers the spirit, somehow.

It does indeed. There are so many divisions in the world; it's nice to see examples of people coming together. And I'm proud that this is a way that skating can contribute to the world's harmony.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
It does indeed. There are so many divisions in the world; it's nice to see examples of people coming together. And I'm proud that this is a way that skating can contribute to the world's harmony.

They all seemed so happy together, too. All smiles...not even the slightest hint of a scowl or boredom. It's rare to see such a gleeful podium! :biggrin:

paircheck

Final Flight
i am hppy for aliona & robin ...
they had to fight back after the aliona s injury... what a golden night for them
their trainer was shocked by the scores in th k&k

gold12345

Medalist
What a stunningly close result between the top 2!! It's always interesting between them, that's for sure! V/T really had an exceptional day and deserved to win the free skate by that much.

And how great it was to see T/T skate well. They are a gorgeous pair!

It was a great showing for D/R. Canada has to be kicking themselves for not sending Moore-Towers/Moscovitch here! A top 8 finish was very doable for them, which of course would have led to 3 spots for next year.

And D/C did well for the Americans. One sizable mistake, but it was good overall. Hopefully they will further develop their programs next year.

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
They all seemed so happy together, too. All smiles...not even the slightest hint of a scowl or boredom. It's rare to see such a gleeful podium! :biggrin:

that medal ceremony made me believe in world peace for a whole 5 minutes :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
S/S had far below LP maks compared to V/T because their spins looked slow, they are a little off, not at their best
and didn't Robin popped a jump ?

I will look at it again to check for that, but I noticed no popping from Robin. The fact that S/S are not at full strength physically and still put out such a strong performance is a testament to their championship mettle. They slowed down uncharacteristically on their final spin, but not enough to warrant such low marks. I didn't see any great problems with their lifts either, unless you want to look at them under a microscope to find something. It's as if judges look for anything they can to ding S/S on, without appreciating the difficulty of this amazing program, much less the huge contributions to pairs skating by S/S and S. If you ask me, V/T could have been dinged more for their sloppy sp skate. In comparison, S/S fp skate, while not their strongest, was triumphant. I do not think it would have been fair to see V/T win overall with such a sloppy sp skate. V/T skated their fp great, just as they should as a top pair, but IMO, they did not warrant receiving such overly high scores for that fp.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

I disagree. I think people are coming together in spite of figure skating rules. After all, eligible FS rules require people to compete for one country, with various stipulations to that effect. This has hampered and outright sabotaged a lot of teams over the years, not to mention all the teams that could've been but never were. Compare this to tennis, where partners from different countries forming doubles teams is utterly commonplace. Figure skating has a long ways to go to be truly international.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wonder if this might push Tran to give up citizenship? Such a hard decision. First pairs medal for the country should give these two a huge career boost in figure skating crazy Japan.

I dunno, I wouldn't give up my citizenship if I was him if it's difficult to get it back. It was one medal, and Narumi is still really inconsistent. I don't see them winning Olympic gold if S/S and V/T are still around.