Pairs free skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Pairs free skate

paircheck

Final Flight
I will look at it again to check for that, but I noticed no popping from Robin. The fact that S/S are not at full strength physically and still put out such a strong performance is a testament to their championship mettle. They slowed down uncharacteristically on their final spin, but not enough to warrant such low marks. I didn't see any great problems with their lifts either, unless you want to look at them under a microscope to find something. It's as if judges look for anything they can to ding S/S on, without appreciating the difficulty of this amazing program, much less the huge contributions to pairs skating by S/S and S. If you ask me, V/T could have been dinged more for their sloppy sp skate. In comparison, S/S fp skate, while not their strongest, was triumphant. I do not think it would have been fair to see V/T win overall with such a sloppy sp skate. V/T skated their fp great, just as they should as a top pair, but IMO, they did not warrant receiving such overly high scores for that fp.

right... after alions injury they were not @ there best... but they re fighters

mousepotato

On the Ice
I didn't see any of the competiton except P/T on my phone and that didn't look good, I'm so happy for V/T for pulling up and ALMOST winning a gold, it was soooo close, I can't wait to see everyone.

chloepoco

Medalist
So happy for Takahashi & Tran! Hope to see videos up soon--especially of her reaction--sounds like it was priceless!

Becki

Medalist
So happy for Takahashi & Tran! Hope to see videos up soon--especially of her reaction--sounds like it was priceless!

Does anyone have the video?? I've been looking for it...can't find anything. I guess I have to watch it on TV tonight then..

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
There doesn't appear to be any video of V/T's performance on youtube, and I missed it on the online stream since I was out, but I guess I can catch it on tv tonight too.

cassiem

On the Ice
Last I heard, Tatiana is engaged to Stas and Max has a long-time girlfriend (they've been together since Max was 16). I haven't seen any information that they've dumped their significant others and began dating each other. It's possible to be very affectionate and just have a great friendship (see also Virtue/Moir, they said they've never been romantically involved, just good friends).

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
For the gold, I'm perfectly fine with S/S winning, particularly since V/T really tanked the SP. I wanted to say that up front so people understand I'm not disputing scores or anything.

I just wanted to comment on S/S's program in general this year. I love the concept of this program. I can see in it the modern dance movements and style the choreography was going for. Unfortunately, I don't think this program ever really got to where it was going. The movements and positions were never hit crisply enough, and there never seemed to be enough commitment to the movements. Possibly this was just a function of having to concentrate to perform the elements. I almost wish they would keep it another year so it could evolve to where I think the program was meant to go, but I'm not sure they'd get there even then. That's left me dissatisfied with the program all season. This performance of it was particularly dissatisfying, as they did seem tight and nervous and therefore distracted from really performing the choreography.

Ah well. Congrats to all the medalists. S/S for gold, V/T for coming back in spectacular fashion for silver and T/T for having by far their best competition of the season and medaling.

Thanks for your thoughts, rain. I wish we could have a face-to-face discussion. My tone is not meant to be confrontational, altho' my comments might come across that way. Yes, S/S were nervous (most athletes do experience nerves under the high-pressure of high level competition -- that S/S were more nervous than usual is unsurprising). When you see your strongest rivals come back with a great yet over-scored performance, wouldn't you start sweating? But, would you be able to overcome your nerves and perform the way S/S did? It was quite spectacular to see S/S hit everything and overcome their nerves. IMO, you are exaggerating that they were"so distracted." S/S could not have achieved that performance if they were that distracted. Training puts choreo in the very marrow of skaters' bones -- they know it by heart, and by God, yes, S/S did perform the choreography. It was not their strongest performance, but it certainly was good enough to be scored better than it was here. Apparently tho' not good enough for the judges' and your high expectations.

Why don't you ask S/S and S where they feel the program was "meant to go," before assuming that you know all about it? Were you there when they came up with the idea? Did you watch them training in modern dance? Did you follow the difficult development of the choreography? Have you read the articles and interviews with S/S and S regarding this program? Have you seen the film, Pina, or some of the film excerpts on youtube? I guess it is not enough to reach high and keep pushing yourself, to try something risky and different that is a mini-masterpiece, despite it not becoming fully realized in a way that some viewers might find "satisfying." Whether or not it is obvious, the greatest difficulty of this program is in melding the difficult pairs elements (esp. CoP era elements) into the innovative choreography. BTW, the Pina-inspired movement style that S/S perform is not meant to be "crisp."

It might be nice to see S/S keep their Pina program for another season to evolve it more, but I'd prefer that they continue working on it as an exhibition. I'd be surprised if we see this same fp again next year for competition. S/S never seem to repeat themselves or rest on their laurels. S/S and S have raised the bar in pairs figure skating, and everyone has sat up and taken notice, but many are grudging in their praise and reluctant to admit that S/S and S have been inspiring and influential.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
What a stunningly close result between the top 2!! It's always interesting between them, that's for sure! V/T really had an exceptional day and deserved to win the free skate by that much.

And how great it was to see T/T skate well. They are a gorgeous pair!

It was a great showing for D/R. Canada has to be kicking themselves for not sending Moore-Towers/Moscovitch here! A top 8 finish was very doable for them, which of course would have led to 3 spots for next year.

And D/C did well for the Americans. One sizable mistake, but it was good overall. Hopefully they will further develop their programs next year.

Yes, a very foolish decision on the part of Skate Canada. They made such a fuss over sending Amelie for ladies, who has been consistently ahead of Cynthia all season, who won Canadians, and where there are no possibility for either lady to get a 2nd spot for Canada. But in pairs, by sending MT/M, Canada could very well have earned 3 spots to worlds at home. D/R and MT/M are the top Canadian teams internationally. And more than that, Skate Canada has made it more difficult to move up the ranks in the future for D/W. This was a disasterous skate for them. They are a very new team, and needed some time to develop out of the pressure cooker of a world championships. For a lady who was once 3rd in the world, to now finish so poorly, it's not good for their reputation internationally. I really feel bad for Jessica and Sebastien.

paircheck

Final Flight
Thanks for your thoughts, rain. I wish we could have a face-to-face discussion. My tone is not meant to be confrontational, altho' my comments might come across that way. Yes, S/S were nervous (most athletes do experience nerves under the high-pressure of high level competition -- that S/S were more nervous than usual is unsurprising). When you see your strongest rivals come back with a great yet over-scored performance, wouldn't you start sweating? But, would you be able to overcome your nerves and perform the way S/S did? It was quite spectacular to see S/S hit everything and overcome their nerves. IMO, you are exaggerating that they were"so distracted." S/S could not have achieved that performance if they were that distracted. Training puts choreo in the very marrow of skaters' bones -- they know it by heart, and by God, yes, S/S did perform the choreography. It was not their strongest performance, but it certainly was good enough to be scored better than it was here. Apparently tho' not good enough for the judges' and your high expectations.

Why don't you ask S/S and S where they feel the program was "meant to go," before assuming that you know all about it? Were you there when they came up with the idea? Did you watch them training in modern dance? Did you follow the difficult development of the choreography? Have you read the articles and interviews with S/S and S regarding this program? Have you seen the film, Pina, or some of the film excerpts on youtube? I guess it is not enough to reach high and keep pushing yourself, to try something risky and different that is a mini-masterpiece, despite it not becoming fully realized in a way that some viewers might find "satisfying." Whether or not it is obvious, the greatest difficulty of this program is in melding the difficult pairs elements (esp. CoP era elements) into the innovative choreography. BTW, the Pina-inspired movement style that S/S perform is not meant to be "crisp."

It might be nice to see S/S keep their Pina program for another season to evolve it more, but I'd prefer that they continue working on it as an exhibition. I'd be surprised if we see this same fp again next year for competition. S/S never seem to repeat themselves or rest on their laurels. S/S and S have raised the bar in pairs figure skating, and everyone has sat up and taken notice, but many are grudging in their praise and reluctant to admit that S/S and S have been inspiring and influential.

u re my brother/sister in mind

mousepotato

On the Ice
Youtube seems to cracking down on some vids right as they are put up so I would use keep-tube.com if you want to save them

paircheck

Final Flight
welll if M/M-T skates like @ nationals.... they won t be better than D/W

but they re more experienced...

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
First of, well done T/T, what a great performance to get bronze. I really didn't think they had a chance, I thought they were going to drop like a stone. I think that was the best I seen her perform. Their reaction on realising they were 3rd was priceless.

V/T were superb, that was the best I have ever seen them perform, they nailed everything. They really went for it, they were the clear winners on the night, I thought they were going to sneak the gold for a while. I found S/S a bit flat, it wasn't the best they performed but they had a clear lead from the short, four world titles is a great achievement. What a delightful performance from K/S if they had got that lift up they would be on the podium. It's sad that programme has not got a world medal, it is one of the best pair programmes in years (IMO). I was a bit disappointed for P/T, he had a real bad fall, it was a long way of their best.

I found the second last group more impressive that the final group. Even thought I thought D/R, D/C and S/H excelled on the TES I though they were lacking in PCS and all were overscored in that area. An electric guitar doing Nessum Dorma, there should be a deduction for that, horrible music. S/H were better than I expected, they have great trick the quad throw and twist were very exciting to see and he done a decent flamengo impression. D/R I also found empty.

I wouldn't have M/B ahead of the Italians. I thought they rushed through everything and completely ignored the music and while they probably should be ahead on TES I would not have them ahead on PCS, the Italians are by far the better on the second mark. Dissapointing for D/W, after doing so well make the Canadian team they had a bit of a disaster tonight.

cassiem

On the Ice
I hope this comment is true although I've never seen V/M kiss each other in the mouth. I could be wrong..different cultures.
I think it is a case of different cultures. I remember a news story from a couple years ago about a Russian tennis player (Torgunov, Torlanov?) who was seen kissing another Russian man on the mouth and it was assumed they were in a relationship but they said it was just a cultural misunderstanding.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
kissing in the mouth ?

I did see Stepanova/Bukin kiss in the mouth too
at the juniors K&C. maybe just affectionate but not necessarily mean lovers ?
V/T just got a bit emotional after their LP and kiss each other