Pairs free skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Pairs free skate

Becki

Medalist
Narumi is so cute!

OMG i honestly couldn't contain my emotions while watching the K&C....Narumi is so adorable!! I love these moments! These moments are definitely the highlight of figure skating for me :) I am so so so so happy for them!

Btw what the heck was that, Mervin? He threw his tissue or something to the side during the K&C...

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
how do u know this???

For starters, Savchenko/ Solkowy gave an interview where they discussed the difficulty of putting the Pina program together and the complexities of performing it. I've followed figure skating closely for many years (too many to count), and unsurprisingly, I am a huge fan of S/S and S and what they have brought to the sport of figure skating. In addition, I have studied dance and followed the work of many ballet and modern dance choreographers. Pina Bausch was a famous German modern dance choreographer and ballet director. She was known for an inventive, unexpected movement style, and for creating choreography that explored male-female interactions and melancholy themes. Below is a trailer for the documentary film, Pina, which inspired S/S fp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RT3xhkeWo

Lots of movements in there that might also have been explored, but Steuer and his team did a great job considering they had to work within the constraints of CoP. Also, S/S challenged themselves technically this season with training the throw 3-axel. I for one marvel at what they have been able to accomplish with all the obstacles they have faced.

BTW, I am also excited about V/T pairing and potential, but for me V/T while they are definitely able to challenge S/S, are being over-hyped prematurely largely because of the great Russian tradition which has historically dominated pairs figure skating.

christinaskater

Medalist
OMG i honestly couldn't contain my emotions while watching the K&C....Narumi is so adorable!! I love these moments! These moments are definitely the highlight of figure skating for me :) I am so so so so happy for them!

Btw what the heck was that, Mervin? He threw his tissue or something to the side during the K&C...

Yeah, I saw him throw the tissue as well :)
I love it when skaters go crazy when they see their scores, like when Tara won in Nagano, Sarah in SLC etc.

Tigger

Final Flight
First off I am so thrilled for T&T!!! WOW and the reaction in the K&C was priceless. Adored Mervin though from his, "This can't be happening" in the K&C to his expression on the podium...So priceless and adorable. Will be watching Regina CTV at 8 on the dish to see if they say anything about the Sask boy doing so good. :eek:D

Also I adored V&T on the podium w/T&T. When they headed over to Tatiana and Maxim to congratulate them, Tatiana just looked so genuinely thrilled for Narumi and Mervin and I thought Max was going to pick Narumi up off her feet for a second there. Lovely, lovely to see.

What a way for Tatiana and Maxim to come back. Wow oh wow!! Considering they had so far to come back, the fact they still ended up being *that* close to gold? Beyond impressive and awesome for them. Looking forward to seeing what they give us next Season.

Not Aliona and Robin's greatest skates of Pina, that was the GPF, but for everything they've been through w/Aliona's injury the last month and a bit, it was pretty good. As all have said, they were off in places, but understandable considering they lost valuable training time at the worst possible time. They should be so very proud of themselves and their fourth World Title.

So beyond happy for Megan and Eric!!! And this is only their second year together too, imagine what could be coming next Season!! As for the snitty post I saw regarding their SBS jumps in both programs...They know they need to do things the other top teams aren't doing, so where can they do that? W/the SBS jumps. Both can do the triple flip and lutz and both jumps were right where they are in the programs the majority of the season. It bumps up their techincal arsenal and also gives people a reason to watch them. So I say go for it!!

What a season for them and so very, very proud of the both of them.

Where I was not happy though...

Someone want to even try to explain what to the HELL Pang and Tong are doing in Fourth!?! W/that skate? I don't think so. It would have been different if it had only been shaky, or perhaps even w/the two foots, but w/his fall and then him taking forever to get back into the program? Sorry, but no way, no how was that a top five performance. I don't care how experienced they are, and I really like this team too, but that was one hell of a gift there today.

Oh and if Jessica Dube's able to walk easily tomorrow, I'll be surprised. That fall from the first throw not only looked it hurt, but sounded like it too.

christinaskater

Medalist
For starters, Savchenko/ Solkowy gave an interview where they discussed the difficulty of putting the Pina program together and the complexities of performing it. I've followed figure skating closely for many years (too many to count), and unsurprisingly, I am a huge fan of S/S and S and what they have brought to the sport of figure skating. In addition, I have studied dance and followed the work of many ballet and modern dance choreographers. Pina Bausch was a famous German modern dance choreographer and ballet director. She was known for an inventive, unexpected movement style, and for creating choreography that explored male-female interactions and melancholy themes. Below is a trailer for the documentary film, Pina, which inspired S/S fp.

Lots of movements in there that might also have been explored, but Steuer and his team did a great job considering they had to work within the constraints of CoP. Also, S/S challenged themselves technically this season with training the throw 3-axel. I for one marvel at what they have been able to accomplish with all the obstacles they have faced.

BTW, I am also excited about V/T pairing and potential, but for me V/T while they are definitely able to challenge S/S, are being over-hyped prematurely largely because of the great Russian tradition which has historically dominated pairs figure skating.

They were really overhyped especially last year. This is russian politicking at it's best hehehe. This year though, they have improved immensely and rightfully deserves their placement. They were favourites to win this year but like what the Eurosport commentators said, they were one death spiral away from that gold medal.

christinaskater

Medalist
I hope S&S win in Sochi, but the Russians will work their way surely.
I think winning Sochi and 5th world title has surely cemented their place in FS history as one of the greatest teams ever. I have watched Aliona Savchenko represent Ukraine as a singles skater and I am so proud of her and her achievements!

mousepotato

On the Ice

I could not agree more about Pina, taking a modern dance piece and putting it on ice is tough and I would love to see more milelage. Look at what Claire de Lune looked like at the Cup of Russia in 2010, it is so much better now. If they cut the music different and changed costumes I really think it would be even more fabulous with more time. They only skated it five times this season.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think they knew who the favorites were even before the competition began.
do we really should critisize these two athletes on how they celebrate a 0,11 margin win after a hard season? really?:frown:

I cant believe the podium, I remember T/T at junior worlds and now they won a world medal, V/T came to win a second silver and Pina won a gold, these worlds turn more happy each day after the strange beginning.

K/S had a lovely program, I wish they win a medal in the furure

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I cried a bit watching T/T's LP. They are so fragile and so pretty. Their program is the highlight of the pairs competition for me.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I could not agree more about Pina, taking a modern dance piece and putting it on ice is tough and I would love to see more milelage. Look at what Claire de Lune looked like at the Cup of Russia in 2010, it is so much better now. If they cut the music different and changed costumes I really think it would be even more fabulous with more time. They only skated it five times this season.

I agree, but feel further exploration of the Pina program might work better in an exhibition format which offers more freedom and less nerves and pressure.

My turn to ask: How do you know for sure re Tatiana and Max going together??? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you know someone who knows them intimately? Or, do you know them intimately? :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
While I hope they get better programs next season, I think the fact they both left partners and immediately came to the top of the pairs is not just Russia politicking, they really have great chemistry together on ice on top of everything else.

Awww Tran 's twit :)
That awkward moment when the number of people who have seen you cry goes from a few to many after you cry on an international broadcast.

Last edited by a moderator:

mousepotato

On the Ice
First off I am so thrilled for T&T!!! WOW and the reaction in the K&C was priceless. Adored Mervin though from his, "This can't be happening" in the K&C to his expression on the podium...So priceless and adorable. Will be watching Regina CTV at 8 on the dish to see if they say anything about the Sask boy doing so good. :eek:D

Also I adored V&T on the podium w/T&T. When they headed over to Tatiana and Maxim to congratulate them, Tatiana just looked so genuinely thrilled for Narumi and Mervin and I thought Max was going to pick Narumi up off her feet for a second there. Lovely, lovely to see.

What a way for Tatiana and Maxim to come back. Wow oh wow!! Considering they had so far to come back, the fact they still ended up being *that* close to gold? Beyond impressive and awesome for them. Looking forward to seeing what they give us next Season.

Not Aliona and Robin's greatest skates of Pina, that was the GPF, but for everything they've been through w/Aliona's injury the last month and a bit, it was pretty good. As all have said, they were off in places, but understandable considering they lost valuable training time at the worst possible time. They should be so very proud of themselves and their fourth World Title.

So beyond happy for Megan and Eric!!! And this is only their second year together too, imagine what could be coming next Season!! As for the snitty post I saw regarding their SBS jumps in both programs...They know they need to do things the other top teams aren't doing, so where can they do that? W/the SBS jumps. Both can do the triple flip and lutz and both jumps were right where they are in the programs the majority of the season. It bumps up their techincal arsenal and also gives people a reason to watch them. So I say go for it!!

What a season for them and so very, very proud of the both of them.

Where I was not happy though...

Someone want to even try to explain what to the HELL Pang and Tong are doing in Fourth!?! W/that skate? I don't think so. It would have been different if it had only been shaky, or perhaps even w/the two foots, but w/his fall and then him taking forever to get back into the program? Sorry, but no way, no how was that a top five performance. I don't care how experienced they are, and I really like this team too, but that was one hell of a gift there today.

Oh and if Jessica Dube's able to walk easily tomorrow, I'll be surprised. That fall from the first throw not only looked it hurt, but sounded like it too.

P/T aren't in 4th by that many points and they did have quite a lead. I think V/T going from 8th to 1st and K/S going from 11th to 4th in the span of two programs is amazing.

chloepoco

Medalist
Awww Tran 's twit :)
That awkward moment when the number of people who have seen you cry goes from a few to many after you cry on an international broadcast.

That was so cute when he threw his tissue to the side after wiping his eyes--that realization that his crying was shown live!! So, so cute, and so happy for the two of them!

rain

Record Breaker
Thanks for your thoughts, rain. I wish we could have a face-to-face discussion. My tone is not meant to be confrontational, altho' my comments might come across that way. Yes, S/S were nervous (most athletes do experience nerves under the high-pressure of high level competition -- that S/S were more nervous than usual is unsurprising). When you see your strongest rivals come back with a great yet over-scored performance, wouldn't you start sweating? But, would you be able to overcome your nerves and perform the way S/S did? It was quite spectacular to see S/S hit everything and overcome their nerves. IMO, you are exaggerating that they were"so distracted." S/S could not have achieved that performance if they were that distracted. Training puts choreo in the very marrow of skaters' bones -- they know it by heart, and by God, yes, S/S did perform the choreography. It was not their strongest performance, but it certainly was good enough to be scored better than it was here. Apparently tho' not good enough for the judges' and your high expectations.

Why don't you ask S/S and S where they feel the program was "meant to go," before assuming that you know all about it? Were you there when they came up with the idea? Did you watch them training in modern dance? Did you follow the difficult development of the choreography? Have you read the articles and interviews with S/S and S regarding this program? Have you seen the film, Pina, or some of the film excerpts on youtube? I guess it is not enough to reach high and keep pushing yourself, to try something risky and different that is a mini-masterpiece, despite it not becoming fully realized in a way that some viewers might find "satisfying." Whether or not it is obvious, the greatest difficulty of this program is in melding the difficult pairs elements (esp. CoP era elements) into the innovative choreography. BTW, the Pina-inspired movement style that S/S perform is not meant to be "crisp."

It might be nice to see S/S keep their Pina program for another season to evolve it more, but I'd prefer that they continue working on it as an exhibition. I'd be surprised if we see this same fp again next year for competition. S/S never seem to repeat themselves or rest on their laurels. S/S and S have raised the bar in pairs figure skating, and everyone has sat up and taken notice, but many are grudging in their praise and reluctant to admit that S/S and S have been inspiring and influential.

You seem to take anything less than effusive praise for S/S as a personal insult. That's not really a great way to start a discussion.

I only brought up my feelings about their program because I do think it's refreshing to see a more modern dance style explored in figure skating. We don't see it often. However, if this is the epitome of what can be achieved in terms of a modern dance/skating fusion, I think that's a shame. I just don't think S/S ever really quite "got it" and held it through an entire performance. As I said in my initial post, I'm sure having to perform the elements had something to do with that. I don't think it is a bad program (on the contrary) or that S/S performed it badly — I simply don't think it ever achieved all that it could be. I don't think it achieved that "masterpiece" status.

You, it seems, have a different opinion. Good for you. That doesn't negate my right to mine. Or the judges to theirs, for that matter. For you, this piece is perfection. For me, it was close, but no cigar.

Becki

Medalist
That was so cute when he threw his tissue to the side after wiping his eyes--that realization that his crying was shown live!! So, so cute, and so happy for the two of them!

So that's what it was LOL Although he shouldn't have littered...

Tigger

Final Flight
P/T aren't in 4th by that many points and they did have quite a lead. I think V/T going from 8th to 1st and K/S going from 11th to 4th in the span of two programs is amazing.

And anyone else that had happened to, where a fall just so severely affected the flow of the program would have been nailed for that and nailed hard at that. That was not a Top 5 performance and shouldn't have happened.