Men Free Skates | Page 43 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

Art&Sport

Medalist
Apparently Elvis Stojko just told CBC NewsWorld that Daisuke Takahashi is the best skater in the world, not Patrick Chan.

The CBC figure skating chatstream is blowing up at this comment....

:laugh: Wow, if that's true it goes against what was written in a recent Canadian article where it claimed that "Canada's past champions marvel at Patrick." Toller Cranston was even quoted in that article as saying: “I don't think I could watch him skate live, I'd commit suicide out of depression at how good he is.” :laugh: Maybe some of Patrick's competitors (not Dai, btw) might be a bit depressed over how much the judges are in love with Chan's SS.

Elvis is pretty brave... oh, but he lives in Mexico these days. :laugh:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
De-lurking to say this: I really hope you do realize that 2-quad Patrick has only .4 in TES over 1-quad Daisuke. And also, Yuzuru (also with one quad) beat them both on TES. So, sorry, but Patrick's win in the LP was not really based on TES, but on PCS, which is a problem, because to have (at least) the highest PE and IN of the night when in some places he was clearly behind the music is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

ITA. Chan was clearly rushing on the last half, and maybe thats why he flubber on his 3-3 sequence. Wasn't expecting his freak fall on 2A thou... When S. Russel ask him about the freak fall, he said something like 'it wouldn't be exciting without a little touch of Patrick'....clearly stating that a fall here and there is no big deal for him, coz he knows will be held up no matter what.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
:laugh: Wow, if that's true it goes against what was written in a recent Canadian article where it claimed that "Canada's past champions marvel at Patrick." Toller Cranston was even quoted in that article as saying: “I don't think I could watch him skate live, I'd commit suicide out of depression at how good he is.” :laugh: Maybe some of Patrick's competitors (not Dai, btw) might be a bit depressed over how much the judges are in love with Chan's SS.

Elvis is pretty brave... oh, but he lives in Mexico these days. :laugh:

LOL maybe thats why he said it. He knows he wouldn't be thrown to death by mapel surup candy. lol

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well you could say that about almost any other country other than Japan. I mean France has 3 spots too...

You mean other than Japan and the U.S. The U.S. field is quite deep too with lots of guys fighting for an opportunity. That could be why it takes so much out of guys. But no excuses, Jeremy and Adam needed to deliver in Nice better than they were able to do.

Becki

Medalist
Because Patrick can do what Elvis could and Elvis could not do what Patrick can. IOW, Patrick can jump like Elvis and Elvis could not skate a fraction of what Patrick can. No, he doesn't like it at all.

Well depends on what he defines as "best" - perhaps he thinks Daisuke has the overall package, and Patrick is still lacking in some areas?

*shrugs* people are entitled to their own opinions, and I give him props for expressing what his rather unpopular opinion.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Because Patrick can do what Elvis could and Elvis could not do what Patrick can. IOW, Patrick can jump like Elvis and Elvis could not skate a fraction of what Patrick can. No, he doesn't like it at all.

Let's give him the benefit of doubt, assuming Patrick is not his cup of tea. But, does what he say matter? Not at all. :cool::biggrin: See, I stop arguing with Chan-haters on this board now that the gold is already in Patrick's bag. Why add salt to someone's wound? I am a kind person!

Having said that, I want to remind them that Dai was overscored by at least one point, he didn't get the deduction for his fall. (Yeah, Patrick deserved it too in 4CC, I don't need to be reminded of that.)

Last edited:

alexeifan

On the Ice
i'm surprised elvis would find dai better as chan is the better jumper, thought elvis would go with the better jumper

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Oh, hello there, Elvis!

No, seriously though, I'm looking at the protocol for the Mens' free skate, and about 13 out of the Top 15 skaters attempted quads.

Perhaps it's not really about the quads anymore since Elvis might be satisfied everyone's trying them nowadays.

Last edited:
Let's give him the benefit of doubt, assuming Patrick is not his cup of tea. But, does what he say matter? Not at all. :cool::biggrin: See, I stop argueing with Chan-haters on this board now that the gold is already in Patrick's bag. Why add salt to someone's wound? I am a kind person!
LOL. Very wise as well.

rain

Record Breaker
You're awesome Patrick Chan. Congratulations on your well-deserved victory! Onwards and upwards.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick can now put the experience and success of defending a Worlds title in his pocket, pulled out as he needs it next times.

He can use the booing like he used the Olympics experience. Onwards and Upwards indeed.

Gan bei.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I'd just really like it if he managed to develop further, adapt his skating to different genres. But then again, Plushy never did that and is doing / did just fine with that.
Plushenko didnt have an artistic vision or didnt explore it but has the in your face skating, which is popular to CoP uneducated audience who pays for a ticket :) I dont think Chan is there yet.
Anyway thats irrelevant, Russia has one spot next year, boo-hoo.:( I feel sorry for Arthur mostly cause I dont think anyone expected Voronov to do better and he already finished ahead of Gatsi. It 's sad if they wait for the 30 year old grandpa to finish in top ten next year to bring spots back.

Well you could say that about almost any other country other than Japan. I mean France has 3 spots too...
Chafic will go to next Worlds:hb:And I hope Brian doesnt retire.

* i have an hour till the broadcast of ladies free here and I m trying hard not to enter the ladies thread:laugh:

Last edited:

roots

Rinkside
If the crowd was booing Joubert's absence on the podium, wouldn't they have booed all three medalists and not just Chan?

The French crowd has obviously not forgotten Patrick's comments and war of words with Joubert a few years ago!

Leonardo

Final Flight
I think everyone is not complaing about Chan TES, its about their PCS difference. TES wise, Chan got what he got fair and square. No one can deny his two quad and 3A are just well done, and rightly deserve the +GOE mark. Dai did gives up points here and there with his two footed quad, and 3A+3T where the back end triple got two footed too.
But PCS wise, both Dai and Chan should have been tie, at least. Overallm the placement was right, coz Chan did have 4 points cushion from SP.

I'm not quite sure if Chan got his TES fair and square. Despite landing 2 quads, Chan had 5.9 points LESS in Base Value in comparison to takahashi (Chan = 74, Dai= almost 80). And in the execution of the jumps, Chan had a fall and his combo (w/ the 2s) was bad. He was simply well overscored overall and Dai was definitely held back.

roots

Rinkside
or Patrick didn't deserve the high scores? lol

And which scores are those? He scored a "0" on the axel. You can argue his 5+ points over Dai in PCS, but even if tied him or Dai got scored a bit higher, Chan still somes out on top.

Zulu Romeo

Spectator
Congratulations Patrick Chan! Excellent performance, despite the tiny errors. In fact, there have been MANY a gold medals won at this level with errors in the routines for the greatest men's and women's champions in the IJS era.

For those in France who were supporting the other competitors, it is RUDE to boo the winner, no matter the grievances. I am guessing this could be attributed to the local Joubert fans. S of France locals have proven themselves to have the sophistication of NASCAR and World Wrestling Federation fans. Well done!

Last edited: