Men Free Skates | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

doctor2014

On the Ice
But Kulik was like 21 when he debuted in Nagano and was Russia’s No. 1 skater (Yagudin was Russia’s No. 2). Hanyu will just turn 19 in Sochi. That’s kinda young. With Patrick, Plushy, and Daisuke (Japan’s No. 1 skater) all competing in Sochi I don’t think it’ll be easy for the young teen who’s only Japan’s No. 2 skater to medal there.

Even if he skates lights out, the judges are going to make him wait until 2018—unless the top three falter or he represents another nation.

And I think Daisuke is pretty much a lock to win the 2014 Worlds. That’ll be an amazing way to end his career.

Becki

Medalist
But Kulik was like 21 when he debuted in Nagano and was Russia’s No. 1 skater (Yagudin was Russia’s No. 2). Hanyu will just turn 19 in Sochi. That’s kinda young. With Patrick, Plushy, and Daisuke (Japan’s No. 1 skater) all competing in Sochi I don’t think it’ll be easy for the young teen who’s only Japan’s No. 2 skater to medal there.

Even if he skates lights out, the judges are going to make him wait until 2018—unless the top three falter or he represents another nation.

And I think Daisuke is pretty much a lock to win the 2014 Worlds. That’ll be an amazing way to end his career.

I wouldn't say a lock to win, but he has a high chance if he keeps improving technically and artistically. 2014 Worlds are in Japan, and last season he continued to compete so he can end his career at the 2011 Worlds in Japan. I am pretty sure even if he wins the OGM, he will skate at the 2014 Worlds. If he wins with two supreme performances, I swear I will be crying like crazy. To end an amazing career infront of a home crowd is what many skaters dream of.

Wasn't Patrick 19 during his Olympic debut, and some people expected him to medal? Then again, he was Canada #1 since Jeffrey retired. If Hanyu skates lights out with the performance of his young career, he might be able to medal. Of course, 2018 will be his ultimate goal and honestly, I can see him dominating from 2014-2018 if there are so severe injuries *touch wood* *touch wood*.

I wouldn't say a lock to win, but he has a high chance if he keeps improving technically and artistically. 2014 Worlds are in Japan, and last season he continued to compete so he can end his career at the 2011 Worlds in Japan. I am pretty sure even if he wins the OGM, he will skate at the 2014 Worlds. If he wins with two supreme performances, I swear I will be crying like crazy. To end an amazing career infront of a home crowd is what many skaters dream of.

Wasn't Patrick 19 during his Olympic debut, and some people expected him to medal? Then again, he was Canada #1 since Jeffrey retired. If Hanyu skates lights out with the performance of his young career, he might be able to medal. Of course, 2018 will be his ultimate goal and honestly, I can see him dominating from 2014-2018 if there are so severe injuries *touch wood* *touch wood*.

I will touch wood with you. I hate to see any skater injured, but especially a dynamite skater like Hanyu. I'm greedy: I want his entire career to play out!

I will also be crying (and dancing around) if Daisuke skates two supreme performances at 2014 Worlds. I'll wish along with you.

Plushenko actually said he could have won this year's Worlds? Golly, in anyone else that would be arrogance, but in him it's just the expression of his personality. If that's what keeps him going, good for him. I have a sneaking wish for him to medal at next year's Worlds, except that I'd hate to see any of our other favorites closed out of the medals. Heck, I'd be happiest if there were a two-way tie for gold. (Chan and Daisuke, in case anyone's lost my train of thought.) But it would be so satisfying to see Plushy finish somewhere in the top five. There's something about persistence that warms my heart. And I always like a good age range among champions.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
I will touch wood with you. I hate to see any skater injured, but especially a dynamite skater like Hanyu. I'm greedy: I want his entire career to play out!

I will be crying and dancing around if Daisuke skates two supreme performances at 2014 Worlds. I'll wish along with you.

Plushenko actually said he could have won this year's Worlds? Golly, in anyone else that would be arrogance, but in him it's just the expression of his personality. If that's what keeps him going, good for him. I have a sneaking wish for him to medal at next year's Worlds, except that I'd hate to see any of our other favorites closed out of the medals. Heck, I'd be happiest if there were a two-way tie for gold. But it would be so satisfying to see Plushy finish somewhere in the top five. There's something about persistence that warms my heart. And I always like a good age range among champions.

Plushy predicted "Patrick, Daisuke and Yuzuru" will be his major rivals at Sochi. Hmmm...interesting. It might play out to be that way. If all performs cleanly at Sochi 2014, it will be the battle of the century.

Plushy predicted "Patrick, Daisuke and Yuzuru" will be his major rivals at Sochi. Hmmm...interesting. It might play out to be that way. If all performs cleanly at Sochi 2014, it will be the battle of the century.

Wouldn't that be candy for skating fans? I'd love to see something along the lines of the final ladies' flight from Vancouver 2010--no falls by the entire top six. That would be the kind of skating competition people talk about for generations. Go for it, guys!

seniorita

Record Breaker
One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice.
Lol he actually said that?:laugh: I dont think he would realistically win, if you think of Chan and Dai scores. I only saw an interview of Morosov about it. Anway I ll go and find it.

Becki

Medalist
Wouldn't that be candy for skating fans? I'd love to see something along the lines of the final ladies' flight from Vancouver 2010--no falls by the entire top six. That would be the kind of skating competition people talk about for generations. Go for it, guys!

If that happened, it would be the best thing of earth for skating fans! Make it that the top 5 in the SP are only separated by less than 2 points, and we're talking a DEATH MATCH in the LP. Now that should be the battle of the century. Obviously I am day-dreaming haha.

treeloving

Medalist
Watch out for Denis Ten, spoiler. He could be peaking in a couple of years. :cool:

And Han Yan, at 15 some part of his quality already as good or better than some part of qualities of top five senoir skater at world.

2014 -18 will be very very interesting fight.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Lol he actually said that?:laugh: I dont think he would realistically win, if you think of Chan and Dai scores. I only saw an interview of Morosov about it. Anway I ll go and find it.
You don't have to go far: www.ufa.kp.ru/daily/25861/2828268/ Just keep in mind that he was speaking in the light of Gachi's fiasco in Nice. Are you surprised that he said he would have been ready fo fight for gold? Come on! That is what a champion is for, and what the audience wants him to say. As for the other skaters' scores, you never know if Plush is in pesence. Remember Sheffield. :)

LeReveur

On the Ice
I have only seen the top 3 free skates so far, but: Chan had almost no connection to the music. I don't deny him his excellent skating skills, but I wish I had been in the arena to boo his scores along with the others. I prefer some of Takahashi's other programs, but this one seemed clean, and I would have put his PCS way above Chan's and Hanyu's (is that his name?). I honestly thought I might like a Chan free skate after reading of his "amazing" free skates of this past season, but I have no desire to rewatch that skate. It was just that- a skate, not a true program in the sense of performing to the music. What a weird "sport" skating is!

doctor2014

On the Ice
I can see him dominating from 2014-2018 if there are so severe injuries *touch wood* *touch wood*.
Skate god did not hear your prayers. Hanyu’s already injured. In fact, he sprained his right ankle before CoR and did not recover at the GPF. He still hasn’t fully recovered (or sprained the right ankle again) at the Worlds and took an analgesic or obtundent in the LP to reduce pain. I’m speechless… again.

Becki

Medalist
Skate god did not hear your prayers. Hanyu’s already injured. In fact, he sprained his right ankle before CoR and did not recover at the GPF. He still hasn’t fully recovered (or sprained the right ankle again) at the Worlds and took an analgesic or obtundent in the LP to reduce pain. I’m speechless… again.

I hope it wasn't a serious injury, but it doesn't seem like it has affected his daily life since he is still going to school, just his training.

In the competition, I noticed he was a bit off balance and had problems breathing in the first half, I suspected he was I injured but this was one of those times I wish I was wrong. I heard about his injury prior to GPF, but his amazing performance just erased all doubts of any possible injury. Between GPF, nationals and worlds....he probably overtrained cuz he looked fine at nationals.

I am just so proud of him, to put out a performance like that and pulling himself up after a fall. It was probably not a serious injury since he can walk alright, but still, it took mighty courage to go out like that and give it all your best.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Boeing787 said:
The British commentators have changed their tune. Instead of asking for an inquiry, now they say Patrick is a worthy world champion.

It's not working for me (Gema again *meh*), but I don't think these things need to be that far apart (the tone how it is said is a huge point about this, but as I said, don't know what exactly they said...).
It's nothing new that FS is not that kind of sport where you can take a measuring tape or a stopwatch to have a completly objective, incontestable result. Poeple have different key aspects to look for (cleanliness, technical difficulty, artistry...) and no judging system will ever allow all of these to be measured equally.
So for me, saying "Takahashi deserved the gold" and "Chan is a worthy world champion" are not contradicting each other. I'm actually having both of these opinions this time around too.
I'm so used to it being a controversy with Chans scores, and I'm definitly not agreeing with his PCS at this exact event here (although till now I never disagreed with one of his overall-wins) - he was thight and not his best during the SP, and seemed to lose his focus a little in the FS and his connection to the music... oh well (for the record - I love Hanyu, but his PCS were to high - or rather too close to Takahashis - too). So at first I didn't think to much about Takahashi even winning. It was just when I read somewhere "if anything, Takahashi should have been 5 points ahead in PCS" and I found myself agreeing I realized - that would have made Daisuke the winner here (note: I found Daisuke to be a little lowballed in PCS in the SP already). And I was more suprised than anything else and palyed the 'be the judge'-game to confirm that for myself "xD and yes, with not much of a lead, Takahashi would have won, would I have been a jugde.
Yet, I'm not saying Chan didn't to a lot of things which render him a worthy wc. His SP was not his best (this season yes, but not compared to last season), but a deserving lead for that part, and the beginning of his FS was really strong. I'd even say his SS weren't as good as they usually are after he fell behind the music, but they were still outstanding there. So it's not as if he didn't deserve the gold. I just think this time it was very close between him and Takahashi, close enough so you can think of enough points for one of them beating the other and the other way around.

What I felt so baffled about was the PCS. I know that is just an "if", but think about Takahashi landing that 4T3T in his SP, giving him around 6 points more... he still would have been behind Chan at the end (by about half a point or something). And that would be something I really couldn't agree with... hence I'm a little pissed with the judges and it's exceeding my 'tolerance level'.

Sorry for rembling on, this is not meant to start a war again or something, I just wanted to defend the british commentators a little. I really enjoy listening to them, a lot more than any other commentator I can think about, and I don't think thay're that biased or misgiving or anything here along that line. And I honestly felt Chans Ex was better than his other performances too ;)

Works for me. (?)

This is their comments after the exhibition. They say that his competitive performances, SP and LP, were not all they could have been, but his exhibition "defies belief." I agree.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The British commentators have changed their tune. Instead of asking for an inquiry, now they say Patrick is a worthy world champion.:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1KF4Y1HVM&feature=player_detailpage#t=216s
It's an exhibition performance, they haven't changed their opinions about his competitive programs. British commentators speak English and apparently you are not the only one around who understands that language. Still there is no mega element in this exhibition number. Dai and Yuzuru were the only one who did 3A in gala. Normally Yuzuru also tries to perform a quad too. But probably his injury prevented him from doing that this time. People who were at gala practice reported that Dai landed a few amazing 4T and tried a 3-jump combo 3F-3Lo-2Lo. I don't remember hmi doing a Lo as a second jump in combo. And he never had a tree-jump combo in competitions. It would be interesting if he develops this stuff and includes it in his competitive programs.