Men Free Skates | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Okay, I'll make it one more post. It's no secret that skating is very popular in Japan - more so than in other places, so I'm not sure that tells you all that much about global popularity.

FWIW, as far as I can tell the most viewed skating programs on Youtube are a little girl skating to Whip My Hair (most viewed) Plushenko's Sex Bomb (performance by a competitive skater), Yu-Na Kim's 2007 Worlds SP (competitive program) and Rubleva and Sheffer's 2009 Euros CD (honorable mention). I am sure we all know why that last one is so popular, but this is a G-rated forum. ;)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hehe I knew Hanyu's would be the most viewed, marked Romeo and Juliet it as my fav since the beginning of the season when he did at a Japanese ex show.

Isn't it ironic it is the bronze medalist that bring eyeballs to the sport? Attention ISU, perhaps you should reconsider a new poster boy and give him the PCS he deserves.

doctor2014

On the Ice
Okay, I'll make it one more post. It's no secret that skating is very popular in Japan - more so than in other places, so I'm not sure that tells you all that much about global popularity.

FWIW, as far as I can tell the most viewed skating programs on Youtube are a little girl skating to Whip My Hair (most viewed) Plushenko's Sex Bomb (performance by a competitive skater), Yu-Na Kim's 2007 Worlds SP (competitive program) and Rubleva and Sheffer's 2009 Euros CD (honorable mention). I am sure we all know why that last one is so popular, but this is a G-rated forum.
Figure skating is very popular in Korea, too, especially when related to Yuna. Yes I googled and Fuji TV is a Japanese channel, so that’s why all 3 skaters are more viewed on Fuji TV channel than on other channels. I’m a little surprised about the popularity on Rai-sport though.

Jo1

Rinkside
You know, I think that is a big part of the problem right there.

Leaving individual skaters out of it, suppose the audience sees a skater fall, stumble, make obvious errors in execution, while doing nothing special in terms of performance art. Then the scores come up. WHOA! Look at those whopping marks! This was a spectacular performance, and if you don't believe it then you are an ignoramus who hasn't studied his CoP!

To me, there is a bit of ISU flim-flam going on. No, Speedy, the audience can't see the Emperor's New Clothes.

"a bit of ISU flim-flam" IMO Men's and Ladies and Dance have cinquanta's finprints all over it!!!!!!

Becki

Medalist
Thank you, let’s talk. It’s amazing to re-watch all those different versions of the same programs and to see who’s the most viewed skater. I expected Daisuke to be the most viewed skater at the men’s comp because I know he’s a superstar and I also really like his LP. However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:

Eurosport:
Patrick: 1,143
Daisuke: 1,808
Hanyu: 2,766

Rai-sport:
Patrick: 8,091
Daisuke: 15,214
Hanyu: 43,793

France-2:
Patrick: 604
Daisuke: 1,199
Hanyu: 3,244

Fuji TV:
Patrick: 16,257
Daisuke: 32,688
Hanyu: 48,853

OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…

i am surprised too, guess Hanyu's popularity is going to be soaring in Japan.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Figure skating is very popular in Korea, too, especially when related to Yuna. Yes I googled and Fuji TV is a Japanese channel, so that’s why all 3 skaters are more viewed on Fuji TV channel than on other channels. I’m a little surprised about the popularity on Rai-sport though.

Rai-sport is "popular" because the upload is very quick. People who can't wait watch the performances on Rai-sport first. Euro-sport (Freda's British Euro-sport) usually uploads later; that's why the viewing numbers are small at present. Whoever Freda is, I thank her. I always like to hear these British guys' commentary. I wish I could understand Russian and understand what Russian commentators are saying.
My favourite is Rai-sport, which I watch live at home. I thank Rai for their extensive coverage and their very professional commentary. They spot all the wrong edges, U/R, etc (when the Brits miss them). They now get information from the ISU re judging real time and tell you about review calls on jumps etc. Long live Rai-sport. For that alone I cheer for Caro!! (Sorry for digression and btw I have no conflict of interest. I have no tie with Rai!!)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the "real" champion or King of Hearts is Hanyu! I have no problem with it!:love:

He's a dream, a rare, beautiful gem, but I hope the Japanese media gives him some space and allows him to breathe and live life and train comfortably and as normally as possible. I would really hate to see him endure what happened to Midori Ito in the leadup to the Albertville Olympics. The immense weight of overwhelming pressure and expectation was too burdensome for her to endure. Even though she should be nothing but proud of her Olympic silver, there is absolutely no question that she easily could have won the gold given the rather lackluster skating in the LP there.

Becki

Medalist
He's a dream, a rare, beautiful gem, but I hope the Japanese media gives him some space and allows him to breathe and live life and train comfortably and as normally as possible. I would really hate to see him endure what happened to Midori Ito in the leadup to the Albertville Olympics. The immense weight of overwhelming pressure and expectation was too burdensome for her to endure. Even though she should be nothing but proud of her Olympic silver, there is absolutely no question that she easily could have won the gold given the rather lackluster skating in the LP there.

The media loves his story of being a 'survivor of the earthquake'. However, Yuzuru doesn't want to let that be an excuse for his poor performances. And I admire that quality in a competitor - making no excuses for his/her mistakes. I don't think he'll be as big as a household name as Mao Asada, but he's definitely going to be one of Japan's media favourites.

As for Midori, she was the only dominant Japanese female skater at that time (please correct me if I am wrong), so all eyes were on her. At least for Yuzuru, there's Daisuke, Kozuka and possibly Oda to share the burden.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised Hanyu's program is getting the most watches. I'm watching it over and over again, I just love that music. Kissing you is such a beautiful piece of music, and its not used over and over again. There's something to that draws you into his skating IMO. Something real and raw IMO.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't know about in European countries though.
You don't know? Ever heard about that dude Plushenko? The one whose name is on luxury Swiss watches, who was invited to advertise a new brand of Mercedes car a few months ago? Oh, well. What stuff is some 2012 WC advertising? Any contracts? He-he. :p

However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:
OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…
Why are you surprised my dear doctor? Hanyu is basically a discovery of this championships for a lot of people who haven't heard much about him before. It's his first major competition at a senoir level. Moreover, it's his first cleanest performance of LP this season. So, even people who have seen his LP earlier prefer to watch an ideally executed verison than any others. He repeated a record of Yag, Plush and Gachi- he took a bronze medal at his first appearance at Worlds. Well, Plushy is still the youngest in this group- 15yo. He had a tough year in professional terms and a tragic one in personal. He is a disaster surviver. Phoenix reborned from ashes. People love it. So, they watch it.

And, my dear doctor, do the math right. Dai is viewed more than twice than Chan. If Hanyu is viewed more than twice than Dai, then Chan is viewed four times less than that sweet teen. Great work for some WC, isn't it? :disapp:
So the "real" champion or King of Hearts is Hanyu! I have no problem with it!:love:
:laugh: How easily Chan ubers get whored. I actually understand you.

Boeing787

On the Ice
:laugh: How easily Chan ubers get whored. I actually understand you.

Don't get me wrong. Now that Patrick is the ISU 2012 World Champion, I don't mind other skaters getting any title. Plus I do love Hanyu. He has big jumps and the artistry as well. I predict he is Patrick's major rival in Sochi.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I predict he is Patrick's major rival in Sochi.
One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice. The gold was quite reachable. For him. Yeah, and keep in mind the audience factor in Sochi. It's a laid back city near the sea too! :p

Becki

Medalist
One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice. The gold was quite reachable. For him. Yeah, and keep in mind the audience factor in Sochi. It's a laid back city near the sea too! :p

WoW, Plushenko said that after watching the top 3's performances? That's bold. But if anyone can say that, it might as well be Plushenko because he has proven to us he can deliver a great performance with a broken leg!

Not sure about Sochi because when was the last time a male skater won gold during their first outing? However, I predict Hanyu will win the WC in 2014 in Tokyo. It will probably mean a lot to him winning it in his home country and he has all the talent and the ability in the world to do so :)

Becki

Medalist
For Kulik I think Nagano was the first Olympics and he took gold there.

You're right - I had to search his records because I thought he went to an Olympics before that. Well, maybe Yuzuru can break another record for being the youngest Men OGM :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This Worlds has shown again how difficult it is to follow up an outstanding season. Daisuke had a poor season following the breakout year of Olympic Bronze and Worlds Gold, and last year's lucky Bronze medalists Gachinski and the Shib fell way back. It's all part of the journey. Daisuke is already back in form. It is well known how difficult it is to defend a title. It's a great accomplishment for Patrick even if it was not as pretty as the first one.