Men Free Skates | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

skatinginbc

Medalist
In fact Patrick was able to do it when he was 17. Just check his ex numbers like Yesterday and Time to Say Goodbye.
I just watched his Time to Say Goodbye. Good skating skills, that's all I can say about it. He can skate it to any classical music with the same facial expression and still have the same effect--Good skating, that's all.

Jeffrey Buttle's choreography is not easy. It demands perfect execution. Any tiny flaws will stand out like a sore thumb. I hate to nitpick Chan's near-perfect performance, so great and so touching that it deserves only praise, but in order to explain my point that a "simple-looking" program is not necessarily easy, I'm afraid I have to do just that. On my first viewing of his gala program, I noticed, for instance, the following:
1. At 3:33, he looked down and soon there was a scratching sound. I don't know the technical side of the skating, but the smoothness of his skating was fleetingly interrupted. And I felt it right away.
2. At 3:18, he had a one-foot gliding move (signature move of Jeffrey's). It was supposed to be gliding on a straight line, but his left foot (the gliding foot) "wobbled" a little (snaking due to an unstable edge or an uneven ice surface?). And I spotted it right away.

My point: Perfect execution is a very difficult thing to do. Being able to achieve it is a demonstration of extraordinary skills (a combination of both sportsmanship and art).

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Oh, no. Here you are enitrely wrong. Chan not doesn't like being booed, he simply doesn't care about the audience with ears wide shut. He also doesn't care about competitors and fair play playing a generous guy who gave them little chances. If it's really what he is thinking (and I think it is), then it must be suck being like that. www.thestar.com/sports/article/1154...kes-gold-at-world-figure-skating-championship

Yeah, I've read the article. Another thoughtless comment from Chan.

I hope he is at least smart enough to realize than he'll never be adored like a rock star and it's unlikely for him to get another major sponsor anytime soon. It would be hard for any business to sell products or services using an athlete with this kind of controversy attached.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I hope he is at least smart enough to realize than he'll never be adored like a rock star and it's unlikely for him to get another major sponsor anytime soon. It would be hard for any business to sell products or services using an athlete with this kind of controversy attached.

I think Patrick knows it. Getting more sponsorship is not his goal for continuing skating. He and every skater in North America are facing the same dilemma. Not just him.

I didn't even think of this, but you're probably right. That's a shame. He still has time to quiet the controversy. I really hope he concentrates on clean programs next season even if he slips to silver a couple times :)cry:). All that should matter now is Sochi.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think Patrick knows it. Getting more sponsorship is not his goal for continuing skating. He and every skater in North America are facing the same dilemma. Not just him.
Lol at one more thoughtless comment. Well, first of all there is no skater in North America or anywhere in the world with such controversional wins and loud badmouthing. But that's beside the point. The point is his unfair wins doesn't belong to him entirely as some private possession, like his car or shoes. They belong to FS. They damage accountabilty of this sport and damage considerably. But hell yeah, he doesn't care, as his talking proves.

hurrah

Medalist
So why not come up with a scoring system that's not going to result in booing? I know, I know. The reactive argument against that is to say that fans will not be satisfied no matter how much CoP changes. But it seems like the major suggestion being made this time around, to make sure that PCS categories are separately evaluated more accurately, is doable, and even before this incidence had occured, has been pointed out as a weakness of CoP, so why not just do it? It may not prevent all future booing, but it would have prevented this particular booing because Dai would have won the long, with Patrick stilling winning overall, which I think would have satisfied both casual 'ignorant' fans and more serious 'knowlegable' fans.

Kelly

On the Ice

I think right now only in Japan and Korea can their top figure skating athletes achieve rock star status. I don't know about in European countries though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
All major spectator sports continually tweak their rules in an attempt to attract more fans and to provide a product to their market that is as attractive as possible.

Do they? The NFL now fines for the "excessive celebration" in the endzone, as well as the hard hitting tackles. In the past these were allowed and were celebrated. Fans still wonder why these rules were made (especially the former one, the latter actually makes sense and most people booed the Saints coaches after they were found guilty of paying their players extra to make those injury causing hits).

carignan

Rinkside
Bluebonnet said:
And Takahashi skated in slower speed which has helped him tremendously in performance.
I really don't want to get into this argument, because I like both of them. But if you ask me who is the most favorite, Daisuke, of course. So I'd like to tell you that Daisuke intentionally skated a little slower in the first part of his FP in order to emphasize the energy and speed of the second part. OTOH, Patrick skates with the same speed from start to the end in almost all of his programs. For me it looks rather plain, but I know it requires more physical strength and probably is smarter way to get higher PCS, though.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
I just watched his Time to Say Goodbye. Good skating skills, that's all I can say about it. He can skate it to any classical music with the same facial expression and still have the same effect--Good skating, that's all.

Jeffrey Buttle's choreography is not easy. It demands perfect execution. Any tiny flaws will stand out like a sore thumb. I hate to nitpick Chan's near-perfect performance, so great and so touching that it deserves only praise, but in order to explain my point that a "simple-looking" program is not necessarily easy, I'm afraid I have to do just that. On my first viewing of his gala program, I noticed, for instance, the following:
1. At 3:33, he looked down and soon there was a scratching sound. I don't know the technical side of the skating, but the smoothness of his skating was fleetingly interrupted. And I felt it right away.
2. At 3:18, he had a one-foot gliding move (signature move of Jeffrey's). It was supposed to be gliding on a straight line, but his left foot (the gliding foot) "wobbled" a little (snaking due to an unstable edge or an uneven ice surface?). And I spotted it right away.

My point: Perfect execution is a very difficult thing to do. Being able to achieve it is a demonstration of extraordinary skills (a combination of both sportsmanship and art).

That's truly educational. Thanks a lot.:bow:

hurrah

Medalist
Oh, and another advantage of adopting skatinginbc's proposal of properly and separately judging the PCS categories would be that Morosov would no longer be able to choreograph his programs in the way that he does now. Isn't that a good incentive? ;)

Plus, I don't think Patrck will win if he skates like JC. Not much upper body movement, no change of the center of gravity of the body.

Curry is portraying ballet. His carriage is perfect for the program throughout.

(Um, by JC you did mean John Curry, right? The other JC can skate on water. :) )

Do they? The NFL now fines for the "excessive celebration" in the endzone, as well as the hard hitting tackles. In the past these were allowed and were celebrated. Fans still wonder why these rules were made (especially the former one, the latter actually makes sense and most people booed the Saints coaches after they were found guilty of paying their players extra to make those injury causing hits).

Yes, I think the excessive celebration rules were pout in because they made football and football players look ridiculous to fans.

I also think that fans do not like the idea of players deliberately trying to injure each other. (I might be wrong on tnat one, though.)

SGrand

Final Flight
Hockey fans would revolt if fighting was taken out of the game or checking wasn't allowed. I know it's not the same, but I think, even though it can easily be life threatening, fans love the hits and huge tackles. Nothing to do with skating though, or maybe we should put them all on the rink together and may the last skater standing win lol. JK

Mathman, that JC comment is hilarious!

Boeing787

On the Ice

(Um, by JC you did mean John Curry, right? The other JC can skate on water. :) )
John Curry was indeed the skating Jesus Christ! But you can't expect Patrick to do quads and 3A and still land like he did! That's not human!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

love it...

Actually if you all must know, Mathman pays the ISU and judges handsomely to make sure Patrick Chan wins everything no matter what - just because he's worried without the wins nothing will be discussed on the boards. So he and the ISU are thinking of you every time Chan wins. Doesn't that make you all feel better?

Lame attempt at humor on a Monday morning.

Yes, I think the excessive celebration rules were pout in because they made football and football players look ridiculous to fans.

I also think that fans do not like the idea of players deliberately trying to injure each other. (I might be wrong on tnat one, though.)

Actually most fans that I know or have read comments on hate that they can no longer celebrate (biggest beef is that the Greenbay Packers are "grandfathered out" of that rule with their Lombardi Leap). Some dances in the end zone were ridiculous I will admit... but some grandstanding should be allowed, especially on amazing plays... on basic run the ball one yard into the endzone, no that's excessive, but a run all the way down the field with no one touching you? that's cause for celebration.

The tackling for blood - especially the way the Saints did it - I agree most fans don't like, but some other tackles that were allowed even 10 years ago that aren't now? Just because someone MIGHT get hurt seems kinda funny considering any tackle has that same amount of "might" attached to it. Deliberately taking out players is never ok, but limiting tackles seems kinda stupid to me.

Last edited:

doctor2014

On the Ice
We don't have to wait for 10 years to check it up. It's all out there in the Universe Internet- who is the most viewed skater, and by a huge gap: Eurosport (youtube channel frida340): Dai-1,941 views, Chan- 972 views; RaiSport-2 (youtube channel LaRiservaNice2012): Dai- 14,870 views, Chan- 7, 796 views; France-2 (youtube channel MsGaoz): Dai- 1,161 views, Chan-575 views; Fuji TV (youtube channel icechannel2011): Dai- 32,688 views, Chan- 16, 257 views, etc. I can continue but I think the tendency is pretty clear- regardless of viewers' nationality and/or location, Dai is minimum twice more popular than Chan and therefore he has more chances to hit the Plush LP Euro record of 105,758 views (channnel PlushenkoINFO) than our "true"champion.
Thank you, let’s talk. It’s amazing to re-watch all those different versions of the same programs and to see who’s the most viewed skater. I expected Daisuke to be the most viewed skater at the men’s comp because I know he’s a superstar and I also really like his LP. However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:

Eurosport:
Patrick: 1,143
Daisuke: 1,808
Hanyu: 2,766

Rai-sport:
Patrick: 8,091
Daisuke: 15,214
Hanyu: 43,793

France-2:
Patrick: 604
Daisuke: 1,199
Hanyu: 3,244

Fuji TV:
Patrick: 16,257
Daisuke: 32,688
Hanyu: 48,853

OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…