Men Free Skates | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
British Eurosport Versions

Takahashi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOlX...DvjVQa1PpcFM74CdB5xxTpM3srTItlfzTnPQnFzQmxmk=

Hanyu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0RB...DvjVQa1PpcFM74CdB5xxTpNy7vcn4vGRVk8u0pHqtG4A=

Closing Comments for the Men's FS
Interesting comments by the commentators. Are either of them current coaches? Just want to know how reliable their comments are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m7x...DvjVQa1PpcFM74CdB5xxTpLCbEEpnSIyfqcNiEAPZF80=

These are all that I can find for now.

Thanks for the upload. I love Eurosport version the best, they are very fair and dont bias too much. Love their comment on gymnastics too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my vcr crapped out so I've missed my chance at watching the men... oh well...

wallylutz

Medalist
How can that kind of performance deserve 9.0s in presentation when his executed choreography doesn't match the music? It was obvious to everyone, so it must be obvious to the judges as well.

uh...because these components have MANY other considerations besides just timing and 9.0 doesn't mean it's perfect?

Are you implying the judges chose to ignore it because they judged based on who was skating rather than what they were seeing?

I imply no such thing. So long as no 10s or near 10s are awarded for this skate, I feel the scores are justifiable. I may not agree with them but I can see why. Judging is never black or white, so long as you can reasonably justify it, then there it's fine.

skatinginbc

Medalist
eh...yes, thanks for stating the obvious. He lost about 4 seconds due to the fall, surely, that will add more delays, hence the eventual time violation. How do you know judges have not taken this into consideration?...
My post was about whether Chan fully recovered from the fall or not. Your argument regarding how the judges did about it and so on has nothing to do with it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don’t know much about PCS in pairs and ice dance since I don’t follow them too much. I’m talking about PCS in men’s field. I can’t think of any example that ISU has ever allowed one single country to have more than one skater to consistently score 80+ on PCS.

The thing you need to recall is that getting eights for PCS is actually a recent phenomenon. Stephane Lambiel's "Poeta" is a legendary program from a legendary skater, but it barely skimmed into the eights at Euros 2008. Evan Lysacek and Jeffrey Buttle won worlds without getting PCS in the eights. It's only been recently - during the Olympic season, we saw eights being used more regularly. Secondly, how often did two skaters from the same nation deserve 8+ (from the past three seasons, remember)? Really, only Japan (Kozuka and Takahashi) does, and at last year's worlds, both scored eights in the LP.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
In COR, Javier had a 3.79-point margin over Hanyu on PCS, yet Hanyu obviously had much better skating skills. How could someone think that Javier “wuzrobbed”?

In Russia, Hanyu was overmarked in the SP. He deserved -1 deduction (many people said so) but the panel didn't notice. That alone is enough to override the margin of 0.03 points. Hanyu and his coach were clearly surprised to see the SP score (same reaction as the FS in Nice). His "similar" SP at GPF was 3 points lower than CoR.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
This is so true! All men and ladies got a PCS boost at the Japanese Nationals compared to their PCSs at international competitions. Hanyu was the only exception, and he received lower PCS at the Japanese Nationals than at international competitions e.g. Worlds and even GPF.

That will surely change after this season.

And some people thought he wouldn't be a strong force until 2018 Olympics, Hanyu is showing them he is not the future, but the present :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hanyu's idol is Johnny Weir, or has that changed? Johnny Weir's idol is Plushenko. I think the 3 of them are made for each other.
Ab, Plu I know since The Ice 2010 they spent time together, I d seen a fluff and Hanyu wears his bracelet as good luck. He also predicted him for podium. I think Weir has designed some costumes of his and he also twitted about him good luck. There is room for many idols:laugh:

skatinginbc

Medalist
That may be what you think but that's not what you wrote.
I wrote "He was thenceforth chasing the music till the end when the time clock proved to everyone that he failed a full recovery from the fall." My point: Some errors have a sustaining impact. Patrick's fall was one of them.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well Canada needs some help for three men the worst Reynolds can be is 12th so if Abbott and Ten can help out it allows some room for Patrick to simply podium. It is a little unfair to put pressure on Paddy to get gold with Takahashi, Fernadez, hanyu, Joubert swarming around like sharks ready for the kill.

Don't you know PChan has his 'Minions', namely the ISU judges, protecting him 24/7??? lol

The thing you need to recall is that getting eights for PCS is actually a recent phenomenon. Stephane Lambiel's "Poeta" is a legendary program from a legendary skater, but it barely skimmed into the eights at Euros 2008...

You know, I think that is a big part of the problem right there.

Leaving individual skaters out of it, suppose the audience sees a skater fall, stumble, make obvious errors in execution, while doing nothing special in terms of performance art. Then the scores come up. WHOA! Look at those whopping marks! This was a spectacular performance, and if you don't believe it then you are an ignoramus who hasn't studied his CoP!

To me, there is a bit of ISU flim-flam going on. No, Speedy, the audience can't see the Emperor's New Clothes.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
You know, I think that is a big part of the problem right there.

Leaving individual skaters out of it, suppose the audience sees a skater fall, stumble, make obvious errors in execution, while doing nothing special in terms of performance art. Then the scores come up. WHOA! Look at those whopping marks! This was a spectacular performance, and if you don't believe it then you are an ignoramus who hasn't studied his CoP!

I agree 100%. You made your point better than I could have.

A sport that can only be enjoyed by those who have memorized the rule book is a sport in deep trouble. I don't watch football, but I do watch the Superbowl and, not knowing many of the rules, I still understand it. Touchdown--good! I like baseball, but I don't know what's a balk or what the infield fly rule is, exactly. But I know that it's good if someone hits a home run (if you're rooting for that team, of course).

When non-skaters like myself watch figure skating, we think: falling, bad. Boring program, bad. The person with a more interesting program who didn't fall must be the one who won, right? Nope! Didn't memorize all the rules. Maybe I'll watch something else now. In golf, is it good if the little ball goes in the hole?

doctor2014

On the Ice
how often did two skaters from the same nation deserve 8+ (from the past three seasons, remember)? Really, only Japan (Kozuka and Takahashi) does, and at last year's worlds, both scored eights in the LP.
I agree with this, but I’m not talking about last year’s worlds only. By **consistently** scoring 80+ on PCS Daisuke and Kozuka both should have scored 80+ throughout the whole season, not just once at the worlds when Kozuka had the skate of his life.
In Russia, Hanyu was overmarked in the SP. He deserved -1 deduction (many people said so) but the panel didn't notice. That alone is enough to override the margin of 0.03 points. Hanyu and his coach were clearly surprised to see the SP score (same reaction as the FS in Nice). His "similar" SP at GPF was 3 points lower than CoR.
If Patrick did not receive -1 deduction at 4CC and Daisuke did not receive -1 deduction at the Worlds, then Hanyu should not have gotten -1 deduction at COR, either. And even if he did get -1 deduction, he still should have beaten Javier because Javier was very overmarked on PCS—Javier should not have outscored Hanyu by 3.79 points on PCS. It should have been the other way around. Hanyu should have outscored Javier by at least 3.79 points on PCS.

Mathman, has something mysterious just happened? I saw you posting a reply to NMURA a minute ago and now your post disappeared…