Evan Lysacek's return? | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's return?

Becki

Medalist
Views on Evan Lysacek's Competitive Return

Given the state of Men's Figure Skating, do you think Evan Lysacek will still return to the world of Figure Skating? And if so, how do you think he will do?

In my opinion, if he does return next season WITHOUT a quad, he'll probably do well in the US but not crack top 3 in world's. The big guys on top will continue to improve their technical arsenal.

If he does come back WITH a quad, his personal best might land him in contention for a podium finish. But the question is - how many quads will be need? I heard Hanyu is planning on adding a 4S, and other guys are probably going to try new quads to stay competitive.

Last edited:

jjane45

On the Ice
I am pretty curious how Evan would have fared in Nice in his current shape. Anyone reviews based on his performance in Boston?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Plushenko recovers from his injuries because we need someone like him to come, skate clean with a quad, and win without any sort of controversy. The judges aren't going to screw him on PCS and he can actually perform 2 clean programs. I know Chan is great but I just find it unacceptable for him to win so many events with glaring errors. I generally agree with his placements but my frustration is more of lack of depth that these guys can't come out and skate two good programs and take advantage of the opportunities Chan opens with his falls. Plushenko can. As far as Evan, I think it would be tough merely because a lot of things have to go right for him to win without a quad.

fscric

On the Ice
I hope Plushenko recovers from his injuries because we need someone like him to come, skate clean with a quad, and win without any sort of controversy. The judges aren't going to screw him on PCS and he can actually perform 2 clean programs. I know Chan is great but I just find it unacceptable for him to win so many events with glaring errors. I generally agree with his placements but my frustration is more of lack of depth that these guys can't come out and skate two good programs and take advantage of the opportunities Chan opens with his falls. Plushenko can. As far as Evan, I think it would be tough merely because a lot of things have to go right for him to win without a quad.

Did Patrick fall more than once in his LP?

ANW

On the Ice
I actually agree with you on the premise, Evan's fans of course are not going to like that.
Given the state of Men's Figure Skating, do you think Evan Lysacek will still return to the world of Figure Skating? And if so, how do you think he will do?

In my opinion, if he does return next season WITHOUT a quad, he'll probably do well in the US but not crack top 3 in world's. The big guys on top will continue to improve their technical arsenal.

If he does come back WITH a quad, his personal best might land him in contention for a podium finish. But the question is - how many quads will be need? I heard Hanyu is planning on adding a 4S, and other guys are probably going to try new quads to stay competitive.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
In my opinion, if he does return next season (1) WITHOUT a quad, he'll probably do well in the US but not crack top 3 in world's. The big guys on top will continue to improve their technical arsenal.

If he does come back (2) WITH a quad, his personal best might land him in contention for a podium finish. But the question is - how many quads will be need? I heard Hanyu is planning on adding a 4S, and other guys are probably going to try new quads to stay competitive.

I agree with your first point on this, but not on the second.

Looking at the Men's short program protocol, 10 out of the Top 15-placed skaters either attempted or successfully landed a quad.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/WC2012_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Through the Men's Free Skate protocol, I have found that 14 of the Top 15-placed skaters (Jeremy and Adam included) either attempted or successfully landed a quad.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/WC2012_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Therefore:
For Evan to show up without one or not attempt to do one would be a little embarrassing, to be honest.
And a quad is not guaranteed a podium finish.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist

OKay Becki, I am not disrespectful of you.;)

In the current state of competition and assuming in two years' time, a few more skaters would have mastered the Qs, I say, Evan will need at least three (one in short and two in long) to be in contention.

Is he really coming back? That would be great. The more top contenders, the more exciting the competition will be. I think Plushy will be back too. Yo... way to go. It's gonna be a Q competition. No Q.... = little chance of getting to the podium unless all the Q-knights fall off their horses.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lysacek in the video looks very good btw. So Tango de Roxane is his new lp?

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan will not return. If he watched the LP from Worlds he would know he would not be competitive with that even at his peak, which he is likely past (in amateur competition) now. Takahashi skating like he did in the LP at Worlds would crush any performance Evan has ever done, I challenge anyone to even dispute that, yet even he came only 3rd in the LP at Worlds. Joubert probably would beat peak Evan with his Worlds LP which came only 5th in the LP. He will keep badgering the idea just to keep his name in the spotlight, but that is it.

He probably wouldnt even win Nationals if he came back, especialy without a quad. He hasnt beaten Abbott at Nationals since 2008 and Jeremy seems to peak at Nationals, and despite his constant failures seems to be still a favorite of the USFSA (and based on recent rumors more than Evan currently is).

Becki

Medalist
I agree with your first point on this, but not on the second.

Looking at the Men's short program protocol, 10 out of the Top 15-placed skaters either attempted or successfully landed a quad.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/WC2012_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Through the Men's Free Skate protocol, I have found that 14 of the Top 15-placed skaters (Jeremy and Adam included) either attempted or successfully landed a quad.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/WC2012_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Therefore:
For Evan to show up without one or not attempt to do one would be a little embarrassing, to be honest.
And a quad is not guaranteed a podium finish.

On the second point, it was based on his personal best in the SP, LP and total score (257). This would've landed him a Bronze in this year's World's IF he achieved the score. This is a bold assumption made on past results.

I heard from someone he was debuting his programs at the Boston Ice Chip show, that's why I assumed he might make a return? Although I think it's very unlikely at this point, unless he adds at least TWO quads. I can see Hanyu (he's amazing!) beating him easily next season if he does return, and not beef up his technical arsenal. Just my two cents.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Evan's comeback is also still dependent on the whole USFSA financial thing. Anyone know if there are any updates on that?

centerpt1

On the Ice
Evan would need AT LEAST 2 quads and one 3A or 1 quad and two 3A's in the free to be anywhere near competitive. He'd also need a quad in the short.

He's a great competitor and doesn't melt down...but he's got to have that tech.

I wonder if they will pay him what he wants to come back.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
During his career he has fallen more than once. Any time he has a fall OR falls it opens the door.

These statements apply to every competing skater. Chan certainly left the door open this Worlds, even without a fall in the SP. Competition is about relative and not absolute merits. The standard varies from one event to another.

As for Evan, his biggest winning attribute is his consistency. However, unless he has upped his arsenals significantly since the Olympics, he will be hard pressed to contend for a medal at Worlds or the Olympics. It's his choice to rest on his glory or to come back to compete for love of competition.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
These statements apply to every competing skater. Chan certainly left the door open this Worlds, even without a fall in the SP. Competition is about relative and not absolute merits. The standard varies from one event to another.

Thank you. I didn't realize Patrick wasn't the only skater who has fallen in competition. And I thought the standard was consistent across events, so thanks for pointing that out as well.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
On the second point, it was based on his personal best in the SP, LP and total score (257). This would've landed him a Bronze in this year's World's IF he achieved the score. This is a bold assumption made on past results.

Well, yeah, but everyone's score was inflated at the Olympics. Just saying. Heh. :p (And the rules have probably been tweaked since then.)

Didn't he have a weak triple axel as well? I remember someone saying that if Plushenko had pointed that out instead of Evan's lack of quads, he might've won at the Olympics. All it takes is for someone to point that out and repeatedly pound that tidbit into the judges' brains and he'd need to rework that as well ...

Then again, if we didn't have Plushy to point out the lack of quads, we wouldn't have as many attempts ...

Last edited: