Evan Lysacek's return? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's return?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Are you dreaming?!:biggrin: Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except two - the 2003 Euro to Brian Joubert and 2003 GPF to Emanuel Sandhu.

In 2006 the critism was the huge marks for his lifeless Lp and his overall win over 30 points, I dont remember a controversy for the short or long placement or if he should have won over Lambiel or whoever.
Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... Are you sure you are not tranferring the internet boards essence? Takahashi has a more likable public persona -that we skating fans like to discuss- than Plushenko or Chan, I can understand that.
I also dont think Chan is the most hated skater internet or not, I dont know if any hate him but it is usual the top skater to gather all the critisism, did Lysacek had less critisism in 2009-2010? I dont think so. Do you remember the Yuna /Mao threads? Skaters who are dominating are going to be analysed to the very end. Hate is a strong word and i dont think it applies to anyone.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why would Evan need to win the US Nationals and try to beat Abbott? I would feel extremely disappointed if beating Abbott at Nationals would be one of Evan´s major goals, LOL. Besides, there are two slots for 2013 Worlds, I believe. And considering Abbott´s success or lack of it at major international competitions like Worlds or Olympics, Abbott is not a competitor for him at Worlds, although I hope that Abbott would learn to conquer his nerves at major events.

Well with only 2 spots to Worlds as opposed to 3 of course you aim more to win Nationals. Just trying for 2nd place is too close for comfort. However since Even has ZERO chance to win a World or Olympic event ever again unless Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu, and a couple others all break their legs, winning another U.S title would be the pinnacle of what he can hope for and thus would make sense to set as a goal should he return.

amber68

On the Ice
Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... .

Hey, why "unknowledgeable /uneducated"?
Plush live is something else and I don't feel neither uneducated nor unknowledgeable because I appreciate him. Maybe just obsolete :laugh:
I know that I should rave about transitions, edges, artistry, jumps-are-not-important etc. instead of being impressed by such a trivial thing like charisma ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In 2006 the critism was the huge marks for his lifeless Lp and his overall win over 30 points, I dont remember a controversy for the short or long placement or if he should have won over Lambiel or whoever.
Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... Are you sure you are not tranferring the internet boards essence? Takahashi has a more likable public persona -that we skating fans like to discuss- than Plushenko or Chan, I can understand that.
I also dont think Chan is the most hated skater internet or not, I dont know if any hate him but it is usual the top skater to gather all the critisism, did Lysacek had less critisism in 2009-2010? I dont think so. Do you remember the Yuna /Mao threads? Skaters who are dominating are going to be analysed to the very end. Hate is a strong word and i dont think it applies to anyone.

There is no need to debate about Plushenko in Lysacek thread, but I'd just like to say this: Seniorita, I didn't say "why he has won". I said "How he has won". No doubt no one questioned that Plushenko won but the way he won it was pissed and bashed to death. That was what I meant. Look at the ways some Takahashi fans', not all of them, I said some, talk and call names, you'd know what I've said was right.:p Although I agree that the hostility towards Chan hasn't gone to Plushenko or Yu Na Kim's level yet. But it's only 2012. We'll see.

Back on Lysacek:

I think Lysacek is still competitive among US skaters. And he is probably the safest bet for US internationally even though he doesn't have a quad. He could easily pull a 4CC Miner anytime in any international competitions, whether or not the bronze position for this Olympic champion is satisfying is another question. Of course, he has actually more potential than a bronze medal in GP circle - assume that he will be as reliable as he was if he comes back.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
Although I agree that the hostility towards Chan hasn't gone to Plushenko or Yu Na Kim's level yet. But it's only 2012. We'll see.
Are you sure Bluebonnet? ;)

Back on Lysacek:
I think Lysacek is still competitive among US skaters. And he is probably the safest bet for US internationally even though he doesn't have a quad. He could easily pull a 4CC Miner anytime in any international competitions, whether or not the bronze position for this Olympic champion is satisfying is another question. Of course, he has actually more potential than a bronze medal in GP circle - assume that he will be as reliable as he was if he comes back.
Indeed, Evan's strength seems to be his consistency. But I still think he needs a Q to podium in competitions like World. Perhaps.. he may get away in GP competitions. BTW, is he really returning to competition? He will have to start competing now to get into shape by early 2014 or you think he can do a Yuna ..... no competition at all but still come skate to a silver in Worlds? I do like the idea of previous Olympians coming back to compete.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hey, why "unknowledgeable /uneducated"?
Plush live is something else and I don't feel neither uneducated nor unknowledgeable because I appreciate him. Maybe just obsolete :laugh:;)
It was an attempt to sarcasm:) from worlds thread, I obviously think the contrary:)

Bluebonnet, the more the legency the more the criticism, don't worry Chan will get there!!!That's meant to be good btw!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mmmm I think both him and Wier are just doing publicity stuff and when it time for real, they prob going to have tons of excuses to bail. Evan has great jump technique, minus the 3A and consistent quad, which will be enough for top 10 given Olym Champ bonus on PCS.

But no quad + great 3A = zero chance of getting on the podium.

Becki

Medalist
Mmmm I think both him and Wier are just doing publicity stuff and when it time for real, they prob going to have tons of excuses to bail. Evan has great jump technique, minus the 3A and consistent quad, which will be enough for top 10 given Olym Champ bonus on PCS.

But no quad + great 3A = zero chance of getting on the podium.

Weir said he turned down some shows to train. If that is true, then I think Weir is seriously about making a comeback.

Evan, I always thought it was for publicity. Without the 3A, Evan is not going to be competitive at all. Without the quad, he *might* be able to crack top 10 given his OGM status, but not likely if other guys are doing well. I think is first GP competition will be Skate America, which Daisuke is most likely to participate in given that Skate Canada will be Patrick's pick, and Yuzuru will probably stay within Asia-Europe. Would be interesting to see what happens....

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Weir said he turned down some shows to train. If that is true, then I think Weir is seriously about making a comeback.

Evan, I always thought it was for publicity. Without the 3A, Evan is not going to be competitive at all. Without the quad, he *might* be able to crack top 10 given his OGM status, but not likely if other guys are doing well. I think is first GP competition will be Skate America, which Daisuke is most likely to participate in given that Skate Canada will be Patrick's pick, and Yuzuru will probably stay within Asia-Europe. Would be interesting to see what happens....

The order of GP series anounce yet??? Chan is in for SC and NHK will pick Dai for sure. TEB will be Hanyu for sure given how much the french love him.

Becki

Medalist
The order of GP series anounce yet??? Chan is in for SC and NHK will pick Dai for sure. TEB will be Hanyu for sure given how much the french love him.

Nono, but this is my speculation.

Daisuke either does SC or SA. He did SC this year, and with Patrick as the poster child for SC, Daisuke will probably go to SA. I think NHK will be his second pick 'cause they love Dai. For Hanyu, I have a feeling CoC or CoR again, as the Chinese fans love him too!!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I hope Hanyu does TEB or CoR,cause I want to go in one of those two! I havent seen him live since he entered seniors. And I would die to see him against Plushenko in forthcoming competitions.

I m far from a fan but I bet if Lysacek comes back he would be on podium. He is consistent, he gets levels, his 3axel was not like it was marked properly anyway, he has programs with super known music that maximize the elements, even without quad, he gets the high pcs, I think he will challenge the podiums, for Gps for sure,nationals too, Worlds dunno, maybe. It's not like I m thrilled to see him podium but I think people talk like podiums are only about skills and the "best" skater, and they forget he is consistent and he would be the returning OC. I m sure he will be placed above many skaters that are "better" , like Abott for example, unless the latter has the skate of his life internationally.
Besides you dont need the quad when you are the allround packet.
Ok the last one it is in jest. ;)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Other Lysacek news: his first trip as Sports Envoy for State Dept.

"(April 6) The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has named Olympic gold medalist figure skater Evan Lysacek as a Sports Envoy. On his inaugural trip done in partnership with U.S. Figure Skating, Lysacek will travel to Stockholm, Sweden and Minsk, Belarus April 6 – 13.

While in Sweden, Lysacek will hold ice skating clinics with youth from the Stockholm area, organized in cooperation with the non-governmental organization Sports Without Borders. In Minsk, from April 11 - 13, Lysacek will conduct clinics with the Skating Union of Belarus and speak with students of the University of Physical Culture about the importance of sports in society. He will also attend a competition for wheelchair fencers and wheelchair dancers."

Comments:
Although the State Dept. has had many Sports Envoys, Lysacek is the first from figure skating.
(Michelle Kwan's official title is "American Public Diplomacy Envoy" for the State Dept. -- Cal Ripken, Jr., and Ken Griffey, Jr., are the only two others.)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
A quadless Evan plan on coming back ? :confused:

Yuzuru, Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez even Pluschenko will eat him

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A quadless Evan plan on coming back ? :confused:

Yuzuru, Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez even Pluschenko will eat him

He could beat Fernandez maybe since he is inconsistent. Even someone like Feranndez it would depend solely on how he skated though and none on how an old Evan skates.

enlight78

Medalist
If Evan and Weir does comeback they will be pressed at nationals- two spots only- Abott, Adam, Farriss. Five skaters and two spots. They would need to show up during the Grand Prix. If Weir or Evan just show up at nationals- I say it will be a fail. Yes Evan can potential finish in top 10 without a quad but he will be rolling the dice against Plushenko,Chan , Daisuke, Hanyu, Joubert, Armodio, Brezina, Kozuka,Abbott, Ten, Oda,Fernandez, and Artur. Who are not working on geting back in shape but on getting even stronger and better then they were this year.

If Evan can get himself back into top form, quad or no, he will have one thing that many American men currently lack: steadiness. The way he powers through a competition, even if he's sick or injured, might make him a compelling candidate. He might not make it to the top internationally, given the way skating has advanced in the last few years, but he might end up in a higher place than any current American. I'm sorry to say that, because it would be nice if we had someone who left Evan in the dust. We may have to wait for Nathan Chen.

Mind you, I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong on my last point!

Last edited: