Evan Lysacek's return? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's return?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Exactly. A return from either one is baffling. The best Evan can hope for is a top 5 at Worlds and the best Johnny can hope for is a top 5 at Nationals. They will be hard pressed to even reach that. That is their motivation to return. I dont get it. That is why I am thinking it is a PR stunt by both to keep their name in the news.

Yeah, this. Or maybe a quixotic attempt to make another Olympic team...which maybe it COULD happen with the state of men's figure skating in the US being as it is right now (not saying there isn't a lot of talent - there is, but no one has really stepped up to the plate and shown they really WANT it yet, but maybe that will change in the next 2 seasons). But regardless, even if they make the Olympic team, making the top 10 let alone top 5 will be difficult for either! I mean, look at Worlds this year: Fernandez with 4t, 4s, and 3a-3t winds up 9th because he doubles a few jumps, Kozuka is 11th, Rippon skates about as well as expected and is 13th, Nan Song with his incredible quads and huge TES is 14th, KVDP with the FS of his life is 15th, Verner did not even really bomb by his standards and was 16th, Voronov skated well and is 17th, Gatchinski has an off-competition and is 18th because of the depth of the field. Johnny could skate well and feasibly finish 15th at the Olympics! Evan will need to show his 09-10 form to make the top 10 most likely!

If they have any sense, they will not show up at Nationals.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^The skaters you mention did not do well at Worlds not so much because of the depth but because they underperformed. Evan always was a consistent skater, he lands his jumps, he gets good PC's. If he is in shape and wants to come back, I say yeah come back, why not.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of Evan's skating, but I'm excited for his return. It's going to be fun to see how well... or not he does. And it's going to be interesting and inspiring to see skaters who count him as a hero compete head to head against him (such as Jason Brown, who idolizes Evan).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sadly there isn't much money in show skating so skating amateur allows you to make some money and get some glory. I personally thinking Evan is pushing his luck. he won worlds and oly and to be honest he was lucky. His clean only triples was not the same wow factor as Buttle who is morelike Chan, Takhashi or Lambiel. I think Evan just thank his lucky stars and not push the luck; it is possible he won't even make the olympics though if he skates well a bronze is possible. I don't feel though he has the quality, technique or artistry of Chan, Takahashi, Kozuka and he may not be so lucky this time to get an off Plushenko who still managed to make it very close. some people just can't seem to understand when they have been gifted and luck - they push and push - they might just push them selves into embaassment if not careful. It's sad to see an Olympic champion left struggling not saying that will happen but EVan has a lot to improve on now. The japanese men and Chan are amazing.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It's obvious that the media loves him no matter what even after two years away from competitive skating. Paticipation in the notable circle of figure skaters and having a say in media might be all Weir wants for this time round.

Participation in what competitions? Yeah, the press loves Weir, but he needs to be loved by the judges to be able to achieve something.

I have understood that Evan is coming back, because he loves to compete and has missed it very much. I don´t think the placements at Worlds are that important for him now (he has nothing to prove as he has won EVERYTHING), but doing the best he can. I think that if Evan is coming back, he will be well-prepared and in good condition, otherwise no comeback, IMO. My guess is that he would actually fare better at Worlds than the current crop has in recent years, LOL.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you, Jaana. If we had guys of the level of Brian Boitano (and keep in mind that Boitano skated twenty years ago), we could laugh off Evan's efforts to rejoin Olympic-level competition. But as things stand, everyone we have sent to worlds in the last few years has fallen down on the job, literally. Everyone either is promising for the future but not today, or has had a bad day, or must dig himself out from a hole he fell in during the short program. So at the moment, if Evan is well-trained and at his best, he would not only make the Olympic team but lead it. He doesn't have a quad, but on the other hand, he doesn't think that his behind is a foot with a skate on it, and he tends not to panic in pressure situations such as, like, a short program or a long program.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes most could see if Abbott continues to skate awful at major events, and the other U.S men make no promise (one of those two things should change at some point) that Evan could come back and be the top American at big events. However what is the point of a World or Olympic Champion coming back just to be 6th or 7th at Worlds. Just the joy of being the top American.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Participation in what competitions? Yeah, the press loves Weir, but he needs to be loved by the judges to be able to achieve something.

I have understood that Evan is coming back, because he loves to compete and has missed it very much. I don´t think the placements at Worlds are that important for him now (he has nothing to prove as he has won EVERYTHING), but doing the best he can. I think that if Evan is coming back, he will be well-prepared and in good condition, otherwise no comeback, IMO. My guess is that he would actually fare better at Worlds than the current crop has in recent years, LOL.

I've never dreamed that there might be a day that I could be looking forward to Lysacek's comeback. But it is happening now.:scowl: The lack of consistant top skaters is hurting US badly. Evan might be the man to change it and make US back into top 5 in the world.

No, I'm not looking forward to Weir's comeback. I sense that there might be a lot of trouble for figure skating with his coming back, such as crying the unfairness of USFSA and ISU to him, making politic role in figure skating way bigger than it actually is. So people who have already been wearing colored glasses in seeing this sport will even be having their prejudice views "confirmed" by a "famous skater".

Yes most could see if Abbott continues to skate awful at major events, and the other U.S men make no promise (one of those two things should change at some point) that Evan could come back and be the top American at big events. However what is the point of a World or Olympic Champion coming back just to be 6th or 7th at Worlds. Just the joy of being the top American.

From the view of Lysacek's personal achievements, I absolutely don't know why he wants to comeback. To me, unless he has added a solid quad jump, or like Plushenko who has a clear vision and put into action on improving his artistries, spins, transitions, or something, it seems a pointless decision. I don't buy his "love to compete and has missed it very much" arguement. If indeed he felt that, he would have come back this season regardless the "money issues".

Last edited: