Adam Rippon Needs Gracie Gold's Coach | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon Needs Gracie Gold's Coach

mskater93

Record Breaker
Adam's reluctance to train in the gym was mentioned in a recent article. Not good.

If this is true, than Alex would kick him out after a couple weeks. Of his highly talented high level skaters, he would not put up with that.

herro

On the Ice
Ugh, I think it's so pointless to argue that "so-and-so" needs "so-and-so's" coach.

First of all, coaches and skaters need to be compatible on various metrics like personality, training style, work ethic, goals, etc. In many cases, you don't know if a student-coach relationship will work until it's been tried at least for a couple of months (or through a competition at the very least).

Also, just because one coach did well with one skater doesn't make that coach a miracle worker. Correlation does not imply causation, people. Yes, Gold's coach could be the most brilliant coach for jumping technique, but Gold also likely has an inherent jumping ability which allowed her to progress quickly.

It's funny because when a skater does well, people start saying that other skaters need that skater's coach as if he/she is a miracle worker - even if people haven't been talking about that coach before and that coach is relatively unknown.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think we just need to start accepting the fact that maybe Adam's just the type of skater that is never going to have a reliable 3a or quad. There are a lot of men out there like that - Grant Hochstein, Johnathan Cassar, Scott Dyer to name a few, and they are all beautiful skaters like Adam, but they won't stand a chance of making World Teams with their current technical state and everyone recognizes that. It's nice that Adam at least goes for these jumps in competition, but it might just be time to get a reality check in regards to him. In his current state, he doesn't really have business being on a World Team, and we saw that this year. He skated like he's skated all this season, which would appear to be the best he's capable of at this point, and wound up 13th. I was expecting he'd place around there, so to me, it wasn't that surprising, and it wasn't like he bombed. Ross Miner or Josh Farris would have had better odds, I'm not saying they would have placed higher than 13th, they could have placed lower even, but skating to the best of their abilities either likely could have placed 7th, and Adam with the state of his 3a and 4s would have not been able to manage that.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Farris's one senior outing this year was abysmal (16th at Nationals). He would not have been the guy I would have put on the World team instead just like Dornbush wouldn't have been. Miner is probably the guy who deserverd it most.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ross has been a very steady guy. I was so happy he won the bronze behind Dai & Patrick at 4CC's. It was so funny, in a sad way, when there was a question by a reporter about Worlds, and Ross had to say, Uh, I'm not going to Worlds. His 3A is gorgeous, and I hope he is able to be secure with his 4T enough to put it in his programs this next season.

alexeifan

On the Ice
Adam just seems like he needs to become stronger or something. Maybe more arm strength, mental strength idk.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love it, when he bombed with Morosov, everyone said Orser was the coach he needed - because Orser'd just had big success with Kim YuNa. Then when that crapped out and he didn't do any better under Orser, brief as it was, everyone wanted him to go to Yuka & Jason. He's crapped out again so let's send him to another coach...

meanwhile skaters like Cohen and Bobek who chased coaches for a time were blasted (and still are) because they were trying to find a quick fix. THERE'S NO QUICK FIX FOR RIPPON.

If Rippon isn't enthusiastic about the workhorse aspect of figure skating, there isn't a coach in creation who will be able to help him. But there's something so appealing about his on-ice persona that we keep hoping that his abilities will catch up to his artistry. It's only natural for us to keep wishing.

But this shows why so many of us love Daisuke, Patrick, or both. In addition to their talent, technical skills, and all-around awesomeness, there's no question that both of these guys will work themselves into the ground to achieve their goals. All the boring stuff, the repetitive stuff, the sheer grind of daily conditioning--bring it on! They're ready.

jan

On the Ice
I love it, when he bombed with Morosov, everyone said Orser was the coach he needed - because Orser'd just had big success with Kim YuNa. Then when that crapped out and he didn't do any better under Orser, brief as it was, everyone wanted him to go to Yuka & Jason. He's crapped out again so let's send him to another coach...

meanwhile skaters like Cohen and Bobek who chased coaches for a time were blasted (and still are) because they were trying to find a quick fix. THERE'S NO QUICK FIX FOR RIPPON.
I actually thought he was doing fine with Orser. This year, I found him incredibly slow and his programs lacked transitions.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Orser got used to Yuna's work ethic and finds Javi not disciplined enough about training too. See the common thread here with the champions -Yuna, Chan, and Takahashi? Yuka and Jason probably attracted the soft skaters because they are nurturing, but they don't have any tough one in their stable as a role model to spur the rest on. I know Lysacek and Chan have been very motivating for their training mates. And Yuna too, when she was around.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I actually thought he was doing fine with Orser. This year, I found him incredibly slow and his programs lacked transitions.

So did I. He won Jr. Worlds and 4CC under Orser. Then he started to go backwards.

I thought he left Morosov because his parents were sick of the expense of the Morosov Travelling Carnival wherein all of his skaters travelled with Morosov while he was coaching skaters at international events. I seem to recall them saying that this was not what they had signed up for. Plus as a junior just making the jump to seniors, Adam was so far down Morosov's list of priorities they felt he wasn't getting much attention.

CAS

On the Ice
Adam's reluctance to train in the gym was mentioned in a recent article. Not good.

This is interesting considering the hit Orser took when Adam left him. It followed shortly after YuNa left so gossip and internet speculation as it is had Orser the bad guy in the situation. Reading this thread reminded me of something hinted at back when he split with Orser. Some quotes from both of them are in this Hersh interview:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...on-what-does-latest-split-mean-for-orser.html

I find Rippon´s skating has taken a huge step backwards and was honestly shocked to see him get off the ice at worlds and watch him hug his coaches seemingly happy with the skate he just gave.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Orser got used to Yuna's work ethic and finds Javi not disciplined enough about training too. See the common thread here with the champions -Yuna, Chan, and Takahashi? Yuka and Jason probably attracted the soft skaters because they are nurturing, but they don't have any tough one in their stable as a role model to spur the rest on. I know Lysacek and Chan have been very motivating for their training mates. And Yuna too, when she was around.

I agree. If Evan is still in competition after Olympics alongside with Mirai,
It would be different. His work ethic and nerves of steel definitely affected Mirai before.

Chan exerts good influence on Joshua as he said.
Yuka and Jason has no role model of mental toughness under their tutelage.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree. If Evan is still in competition after Olympics alongside with Mirai,
It would be different. His work ethic and nerves of steel definitely affected Mirai before.

Chan exerts good influence on Joshua as he said.
Yuka and Jason has no role model of mental toughness under their tutelage.

Don't forget Bradley, though he only became even more motivated about his quads. But he did become the National champion even though he had almost retired. Did Flatt also win the Nationals while training with Chan? Yuka and Jason should play good cop and bad cop since there are two of them. And get a toughie or two into their collection of talented skaters.

Last edited:

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Valentina Marchei did quite well for herself and Italy at Worlds and is mentally tough.

But, she just moved from Morozov. and I don't think she is the same class with
Alissa, Adam and Jeremy. Valentina is not a consistent skater.

They need someone to look up to, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't believe K&C is the right time and place to get tough. Or being constantly stern and demanding is the solution. Winners are self motivating. If someone is not, a way needs to be found for it to happen but it's not always possible or up to the coach. See how determined Wagner became and the results?

Funny, that sounds just like Alissa. Is that Yuka & Jason's formula or something? (I realize it doesn't apply to Jeremy.)

ETA:
CAS said:
This is interesting considering the hit Orser took when Adam left him. It followed shortly after YuNa left so gossip and internet speculation as it is had Orser the bad guy in the situation. Reading this thread reminded me of something hinted at back when he split with Orser. Some quotes from both of them are in this Hersh interview:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...for-orser.html
This is not how I remember the conversations here. There was a lot of respect and support for Brian. Not that there was much anti-Yu Na sentiment or anything, but she never explained her decision so there was a lot of puzzlement about her dumping him after winning the OGM. Just my recollection, FWIW.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Farris's one senior outing this year was abysmal (16th at Nationals). He would not have been the guy I would have put on the World team instead just like Dornbush wouldn't have been. Miner is probably the guy who deserverd it most.

Yes but that was his one bad competition of the season, he had a great JGP season, won both his events and then bronze at the final, then he was really impressive at JW, the score edged Adam on the SB list and that was with one less element, not to mention scores at junior events are usually always quite a bit lower compared to senior events (we saw this with Denis Ten, his FS at JW scored 134 and then at Worlds a few weeks later he got 153 for a program of similar quality). And really it was just his SP at nationals that was so bad, his FS wasn't great but his TES was 69+, he just got hosed on PCS from skating in the 2nd warmup, and further the marks for that program were close to what a lot of skaters in the penultimate and ultimate warmup put up WITH the benefit of late warmup PCS (Jason, Max, and Keegan scored just a point or two higher for the FS). Considering every other SP he skated this season was clean and beautiful and scored ~75, I think after his great showing at JW he should have at least been considered for the Worlds spot. You're right that Miner was the more logical choice, BUT if the USFS were interested in promoting skaters for Sochi, they should have considered sending Farris to Worlds, after that high at JW, and due to move up to the GP next season? It would have been great to see him out there.

Abbott is turning 27 and Adam is 22 and still does not have a stable 3a. Farris is 17 and has all the goods, he is probably the best hope for American men in Sochi at this point and you think the USFS would recognize that and try to promote him, but instead they focus on promoting aging headcase Abbott, triple axel-challenged Rippon, and triple axel-less Brown. And don't even get me started on Czisny... Basically, the crap the USFS judges pull at Nationals is getting ridiculous. Czisny and Rippon's marks were a joke, and Jason Brown receiving 10 more PCS points than Farris in the FS, where Brown actually made MORE errors, was proven ridiculous at JW a month later, when in both SP and FS Josh and Jason earned virtually the same PCS in both programs (marks that were much higher than what Josh received at Nationals, and lower than what Jason received there - even with his 3 fall FS), and Josh went on to beat Jason by 7 points. Erm, what's the point of holding up Jason Brown at Nationals and promoting him as the next big thing when he has no 3a and went on to get beaten by the 16th place finisher at Nationals who the USFS clearly thinks is nothing special judging from his PCS marks at Nationals at a big international event like JW? It just makes them look stupid. Josh missed out on beating phenom Han Yan for the JW title by less than half a point, and the USFS clearly thinks he's chopped liver and that Adam Rippon and Alissa Czisny are all that, and that Jason Brown without a 3a is 10 PCS points in the FS better than this kid. It's silly, and again also silly that they promote Rippon as being so much better than Miner when Miner has had better international results this whole season, and for all this crap that Adam is more "artistic" than Ross and that his PCS are so much better, look at international protocols from this season and you will see they receive VERY similar PCS scores. The USFS seems to underestimate the importance of jumps, until Rippon and Brown get solid triple axels, the international judges are going to be viewing Miner and Farris as being better, even if they DO manage to get solid triple axels, Miner and Farris might still be better in the eyes of the international judges. USFS promotion and judging is just silly tbh.

Last edited: