Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think for Mirai, she's not really a fighter. She gives up on the rest of her program when something goes wrong. She has to change her mind-set 'cause I believe she does have the technical ability, and artistry to be a WC.
The worst part about the second statement in your post is that Frank Carroll is a STICKLER for continuing to sell the program and finish strong, even with a mistake, because you never know what's going to happen. One of my coaches trained with him for awhile and instills this same midset in his skaters.

Becki

Medalist
The worst part about the second statement in your post is that Frank Carroll is a STICKLER for continuing to sell the program and finish strong, even with a mistake, because you never know what's going to happen. One of my coaches trained with him for awhile and instills this same midset in his skaters.

Ah....I guess maybe she's not a good match with Carroll? Because it's quite evident (at least to me) that Mirai abandoned her LP at Nationals this year after making that mistake on her 3-2-2 combo. She was doing so well beforehand....

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Back in the days, it was something like this
"Well, if Bebe beats you ..."
"We could have sent Bebe ..."

Now, it is something like this
"Flatt beats you ..."
"An out of shape Flatt could beat Czisny's record at World this year ..."

Poor Rachael, she's the new Bebe.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's definitely her own skater. Seems to be very bullheaded... she needs someone like Frank to hold her accountable, but with her commute to and from the rink and being on her own a bit for training it seems that she does as she pleases. Not a good combo. I don't think a "nice" and "easy going" coach is the one for her either, but at somepoint it's not the coach's fault that they can't motivate their skater...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Ah....I guess maybe she's not a good match with Carroll? Because it's quite evident (at least to me) that Mirai abandoned her LP at Nationals this year after making that mistake on her 3-2-2 combo. She was doing so well beforehand....
I am sure that was what he castigated her with later - why did you basically give up? And rightfully so if he did castigate her. Maybe that makes him 100% the RIGHT coach for her IF he can work with her ALL THE TIME as he would hold her more accountable and maybe she would begin to hold HERSELF more accountable.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang

alexeifan

On the Ice
According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang

I wonder why Frank had to move so far away at such a crucial time in Mirai's career. It really affected her I think.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

was this from earlier today?

Perhaps we have seen the best of Mirai...

Nigel

On the Ice
I wonder why Frank had to move so far away at such a crucial time in Mirai's career. It really affected her I think.

Frank has had a home out in Palm Springs/Palm Desert area for many, many years. He was tired of the commuting. And, at his age, he should be allowed to coach close to home.

Yipes! For real? I leave my computer for an hour and I come back to see that the world has changed.

I don't know, but I feel kind of sad for Frank. He put a lot into his work with Mirai. Something in her held her back. Thank goodness Frank had at least three workhorses who were able to absorb everything he taught them: Fratianne, Kwan, and Lysacek. I'm sorry Mirai wasn't in that league, but maybe she'll find more motivation with her new team.

Off topic, but I wonder what Phil Hersh thinks about using Twitter as journalistic vehicle.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Off topic, but I wonder what Phil Hersh thinks about using Twitter as journalistic vehicle.

most journalists have transitioned well - adapt or die - I know journalists from my generation love it... but it would be interesting to see what he thinks... like everything I think it has it's pros and cons... and every day is a battle see if the pros or the cons will win.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker

who are they? i've never heard of any of them.

his last tweet would make sense...if mirai is that tired by the time she gets to the rink, she's probably not going to want to work...no one has the motivation to do so when they're tired. perhaps this is the reason for her results this year.

Simoncat

Rinkside

I'm sure that these are competent coaches,but who is in charge? Mirai will be in a perfect position to play each one. With the number of high level coaches in the area I wonder if Mirai's reputation played a part in hercoaching change.I sense diplomacy in Frank Carrol's statement,but I was waiting for the announcement to come after World's,and I think the push came from him. Rafael Artunian,Tammy Gambill,Ilia Kulik,Peter Opegaard,John Nicks all teach in the area. At Mirai's level why leave Frank Carroll and not try for a high level coach with the experience and push to take her to the highest levels. Maybe her reputation is such that nobody wants to take her and her work habits on. Pity.

b-man

Final Flight
I'm sure that these are competent coaches,but who is in charge? Mirai will be in a perfect position to play each one. With the number of high level coaches in the area I wonder if Mirai's reputation played a part in hercoaching change.I sense diplomacy in Frank Carrol's statement,but I was waiting for the announcement to come after World's,and I think the push came from him. Rafael Artunian,Tammy Gambill,Ilia Kulik,Peter Opegaard,John Nicks all teach in the area. At Mirai's level why leave Frank Carroll and not try for a high level coach with the experience and push to take her to the highest levels. Maybe her reputation is such that nobody wants to take her and her work habits on. Pity.

She reportedly trained with Artunian some in the last few months, and Mirai gave positive comments. I thought he would be the logical choice.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dear Mr. Bill Gates. Sir, you have lots of money....wouldnt you like to see Mirai get coached by Jason and Yuka for awhile and see what happens?
Please send a tax deductable contribution to Mirai Nagasu so she can go see Jason and Yuka for awhile.....
I would be grateful....and I will even let you sit by me at the next worlds....
Ye Ole Coyote in the dry part of WA state

b-man

Final Flight
Oh my goodness. Oh dear. Who are those people?

Weldy Olsen the hockey player????
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ol/weldy-olson-1.html

Jere Michael
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jere_Michael

Craig Heath
http://www.craigheath.com/profile.htm

Alex Chang
http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/figure/staff-coaches.html

I wish Mirai and all these coaches the very best but....

I read the four bios provided by Spun Silver. The one for Wendy is not the same person, Wendy is apparently a southern California coach. The bio for J. Michael says he is working with a Deleware skating club, so it must be dated. he was a competitive skater. The bio for Craig Heath seems to be current, He does a lot of show skating, and goes back and forth teaching/performing between Sun Valley and Hong Kong. He is supposed to be in Hong Kong through May. Chang was also a competitive skater and is on the staff of East West ice palace where Oppelgard/Kwan teach. The Hersh twitter said Mirai will be at Pickwick Garden rink in Burbank, but none of these coachs, at least from first glance, appear associated with the Burbank rink