Ice Dance: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

romanoff81

Match Penalty
they may want it just as bad, they are simply not as talented as Tessa and Scott, the judges have always prefered Virtue and Moir ever since they were juniors they have taken advantage of Tessa Virtue`s injuries enormously to close the gap both teams have now competed 6 times at worlds and Davis and white have never beaten them in either a CD or SD.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I was really impressed with the improvements D&W made this year, improving their matching lines, and the performance levels. They skated with such confidence. My first thought was that they had no intention of just handing the World Championship back to V&M and their win at the GPF pretty much confirmed it. It will be very interesting to see what happens with these two teams next year. It's fun having them so close together but nerve wracking.

tulosai

Record Breaker
they may want it just as bad, they are simply not as talented as Tessa and Scott, the judges have always prefered Virtue and Moir ever since they were juniors they have taken advantage of Tessa Virtue`s injuries enormously to close the gap both teams have now competed 6 times at worlds and Davis and white have never beaten them in either a CD or SD.

I agree that they are not as naturally talented but to be honest in my mind that just makes me like them more/makes what they do more impressive because they have achieved all of their results through hard work and really, every year, struggling to improve to the point where now, despite the fact that V/M are the more naturally gifted, they are right in the running with them. People always say because of Tessa's injury D/W had the chance to catch up. There is of course something to that, but I think the other thing people say less is this: V/M had less of anywhere to go. They essentially (IMO) have peaked because (again IMO) with Mahler they reached the ceiling. This isn't because they are not great- to the contrary, it is because they are so great. D/W on the other hand are not as good naturally and so they have yet to reach their ceiling (though for all I know DF may have been it- I guess we will see).

Of course I could be wrong, but this is what I think.

ETA: When I say they have peaked I don't necessarily mean they are on the decline. I just mean it's been a while since I have seen them get better.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
ETA: When I say they have peaked I don't necessarily mean they are on the decline. I just mean it's been a while since I have seen them get better.

It's pretty hard to improve when you can't train and V&M spent two seasons unable to train. This year was spent getting back to where they were before the surgery. Next season will tell the tale. They had a big gap between themselves and the rest of the field but Charlie & Meryl have almost caught up to them. If they can put some distance between themselves and the rest of the field next season, that will be interesting.

I don't think that Mahler is the epitomy of what they can do, and I actually like Funny Face better than Mahler. Having watched Funny Face develop over the season, I think this program is a masterpiece and their best work.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I agree Funny face was very difficult international european judges have never really warmed up to these types of programs see Torvill and Dean in 1994 the fact they were able to sell it to them and score a convincing victory is a testament to their greatness.