Brezina to be coached by Viktor Petrenko | Golden Skate

Brezina to be coached by Viktor Petrenko

claphappy

On the Ice
This has been discussed a bit on FSU already & I'm bored so I thought I would start a thread here. Thoughts?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Don't know if this is a good move or not. I mean I was disappointed by Johnny Weir's programs ever since he moved to Galina Zmievskaya and Petrenko.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
My first reaction to this news is that Brezina needs MORE choreography, not less. After what the Petrenko's did to Johnny Weir, no thank you.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Oh lawdy, really? How is a convicted child abuser allowed to continue as a coach? Getting away from Fajfr is a great idea.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Well, I have no idea just yet, if this move will help Michal or not.
As others say, I did not appreciate what Galina and Viktor did for Johnny, either; it really hurt his PCS. I still believe he already lost a chance for a medal at Vancouver even before he took on the ice. OTOH, it worked just fine for Ksenia, did not?

What I fear the most, concerning Viktor to coach Michal is Viktor may water down the choreography easily, when it does not work for a skater in jump-wise.
Michal already got the goods in his bag; huge jumps, a reliable quad Sal, decent spins and/or good footwork. What is in need of the most for Michal right now, in order to finally get onto the podium, is good programs for higher PCS and stamina for higher TES. Watering down the choreo may only result lower PCS, instead...

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This has been discussed a bit on FSU already & I'm bored so I thought I would start a thread here. Thoughts?

I don't read FSU, and I'm sure there are others here who don't. Please don't hesitate to bring figure skating news to this forum no matter where you got it from! Thank you!

I don't know anything about Viktor as a coach. I know he's an admirable man, and I hope that somehow he can be effective with Michal.

claphappy

On the Ice
As far as choreography goes, watering down is definitely a possible problem, but I have a feeling that this switch will also be coupled with working more closely with Camerlengo. I hope so, at least.

deedee1

Record Breaker
As far as choreography goes, watering down is definitely a possible problem, but I have a feeling that this switch will also be coupled with working more closely with Camerlengo. I hope so, at least.

Claphappy, I hope so, too.

Actually, I was a bit disappointed with his 'the Untouchable' LP this season, which was choreographed by Pasquale.
Of course, I love his Kodo SP, it was a kind of cool and perfectly suited tohis skating. But Michal can do a lot more than what we saw in his LP this season, I believe.

Normally I love most of Pasquale's choreo works; e.g. Delobel/Shoenfelder, Faiella/Scali, Akiko, Daisuke and Weaver/Poje...

OT, but as for Tomas' programs by him for two years, I feel the same way as Michal's.
Why Tomas always picks up such easy pieces of music to interpret; very light, comical, danceable, or whatever is just mystery to me...He has not grown artistically all these years. Well he looked to me at least. Is it Tomas' preference for music, rather than Pasquale's, I just wonder. Because he picked up Blues for Klook fo Dai; such a difficult piece to interpret in order to extend his range of music, and I really appreciate it. Along with David Wilson's unique SP using VAS, Dai definately won new fans this season, who used to be just un-interested in Dai before Klook.

Anyway, good luck to you, Michal!
Hopefully you will get NHK Trophy next season, so that you can get to perform your Kodo program, maybe as an EX?, finally in front of Japanese fans. Fingers crossed!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As others say, I did not appreciate what Galina and Viktor did for Johnny, either; it really hurt his PCS. I still believe he already lost a chance for a medal at Vancouver even before he took on the ice.

Well, I don´t believe they watered down his Wilson choreography to prevent him from getting better PCS... A lot more likely is, that Weir was not able to skate faultlessly to a more complex choreography.

I hope that this move will help Michal and that he will be doing enough training to fix his stamina problems. Not done enough run-throughs of his freeskate in past?

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wishing Michal all the best with his coaching change. I've always enjoyed his skating since I first heard of him.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
One good thing about his coaching change - Brezina could see his girlfriend more often then.:biggrin: Isn't his girlfriend in NY? Seriously, I wish he could go to Orser. Brezina has the athletic abilities, he needs more sensitivity on details of his programs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For all his success as a jumper, I wish Michal would improve his technique so he wouldn't crunch himself so much before his jumps. Most skaters need to turn their arms and sometimes their bodies to the opposite direction before takeoff for a jump, Michal goes to the extreme of bending way down. Viktor is an elegant skater so hopefully he would help in that, and of course in improving his fitness and endurance.

russell30

Final Flight
Well if Nina Petrenko is the choroeographer then:

SP will be "Barcelona Nights"

LP will be "Sur les ailes du temps" :rofl: