Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Selene

On the Ice
Czisny nodded affirmatively when asked if her plans include skating competitively next season.

“I could go pro and have a career and still enjoy it,” she said. “But there’s a big part of me that says, ‘I don’t want to go out like that.’ I love competing, even as much as I struggled with it this year.”

Asked if she could ever become national champion again, Czisny said: “I have no doubts about that. It’s, obviously, within my capabilities and that’s definitely my goal again.”

http://www.freep.com/article/201204...ns-to-retire-after-dismal-world-championships

emma

Record Breaker
Czisny nodded affirmatively when asked if her plans include skating competitively next season.

“I could go pro and have a career and still enjoy it,” she said. “But there’s a big part of me that says, ‘I don’t want to go out like that.’ I love competing, even as much as I struggled with it this year.”

Asked if she could ever become national champion again, Czisny said: “I have no doubts about that. It’s, obviously, within my capabilities and that’s definitely my goal again.”

http://www.freep.com/article/201204...ns-to-retire-after-dismal-world-championships

For me, this is the best news I have hear all day!!!! Wish her the very best and want her to come out blazing and kicking some serious butt...not more dear in the head lights; I guess no more triple triples UNLESS there is something going on that makes this a hope...regardless, i'm hoping for great programs and great skates and can't wait to see her! When do we learn about GP assignments????

This morning at a coffee shop in Bloomfield Hills, Czisny sat with her laptop answering emails and reading comments posted about her on a figure skating Web site. A former two-time U.S. ladies champion (2009 and 2011), Czisny said she’s grateful; most of the posts have been supportive.

“We love your skating no matter what,” one fan wrote.

Dear Alissa: WE LOVE YOUR SKATING NO MATTER WHAT. :)

This part was interesting:

She said she was invited by U.S. Figure Skating to compete in the upcoming ISU World Team Trophy in Japan, but her primary coach, Jason Dungjen, turned it down.

I wondered about that. The USFSA is very loyal to their champions, even when they don't perform up to par.

This makes it seem like Jason Dungjen made the call, not Alissa herself. She seems to have great confidence in her coaching team.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. Well now we know that Alissa was invited to the WTT and that her coach turned it down. I had suspected that Alissa was invited and not passed over, it was her team that declined the invitation.

Glad to hear that she plans to compete next season.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'm delighted on several levels: On a pure one, I enjoy watching her skate. And on an evil level, I'm going to enjoy all the outrage and bellyaching her return is sure to cause. :rofl:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Good for her, hopefully she finds a cheesefest to skate in while Wagner and Gold are representing the U.S at Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope the US Nationals judges will grade her performances objectively and not prop her up with huge PCS scores when she underperforms. Any other treatment would be grossly unfair to Alissa's competitors.

I'm glad she's coming back. I always (well, except for this past month) love watching her skate. And I'd love to see her go out with a good program, not the debacle of a long program from this year's Worlds. (Talk about April Fool's Day.) As for what will unfold at next year's Nationals, well, let tomorrow take care of itself. Life is tough enough without worrying about what might or might not happen in April of 2013.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I just hope the US Nationals judges will grade her performances objectively and not prop her up with huge PCS scores when she underperforms. Any other treatment would be grossly unfair to Alissa's competitors.

Unfortunately for Alissa the opposite is more likely to occur.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd like to see her redeem herself after struggling this year. She is simply stunning when she skates clean. Having said that, I hope the USFSA really thinks through who gets the two spots to 2013 Worlds. If Alissa has a strong season I think it's possible she can produce those results at Worlds. However, if she eeks out a silver medal at Nationals and struggles throughout the season I just can't see them putting her on the team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa "eked out" her silver medal at 2012 Nationals.

She didn't skate that well at Nationals, singling her axel in the SP, yet the US judges gave her a higher score than Wagner's clean SP by jacking up Alissa's PCS scores.

In the FS, Alissa had a messy opening lutz, got an "e" on her flip, and fell on a downgraded second lutz attempt.
She landed a total of 4 triples, only two of which were clean. Yet she outscored Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt with 5 triples each. The edge went to Alissa by a 6-7 point edge in PCS.

When Alissa skates clean, she is lovely (if slow) and deserves high PCS scores. But when she has a skate marred with barely-saved jumps and falls and others skate cleanly, IMO that PCS edge should be a great deal smaller.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Alissa is still the most artistic of all US ladies if she can get her jumps back watch out, I didn`t really like Wagner`s lp party because i just hated that movie Black swan.

pista04

On the Ice
Say what you want about her faults and how bad she did this season....but LOOK at that fire.

'Atta girl. That's some fire and confidence. Meanwhile, Mirai is skating at her local rink with no coach.

macy

Record Breaker
this makes me so happy! i really hope she works her butt off over the summer and is in great form in the fall. i thought for sure she was done. she has great drive and i'm glad she isn't letting what happened get the best of her. i wonder if a few trips to IL to work with gracie's coach on her jumps would be beneficial.

Let me rephrase this, just in case Alissa is reading this thread.

WE LOVE YOUR SKATING NO MATTER WHAT! :cool:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Let me rephrase this, just in case Alissa is reading this thread.

WE LOVE YOUR SKATING NO MATTER WHAT! :cool:

Now that just about sums things up. I would add that we love you, the person. BTW, I agree with Jason. No matter if this temperary slump is an injury or purely mental, she needs a rest either way and a new
beginning. Who would have thought she would have come back to win the GP final? See you in Omaha....

Ina Bauer

Spectator
I for one expected her to continue. I think she wants to be an Olympian. She has her work cut out for her. But she has as much right as anyone to try. Despite all her struggles, nationals would not be the same without her.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's funny that Rachel Flatt said almost the same thing last year and people here were not nearly as supportive. :laugh:

Well when Flatt lost her consistency she had nothing left. She never had any medal winning potential whatsoever even at her best and she was no longer the rock who people could rely on to come 5th-8th and help the U.S cause for 3 spots so people were just over her. Czisny still garners some support as she has more talent and does have medal winning potential at her very best, so atleast she is a risk with possible benefits (even though more probable drawbacks).