Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Trewyn

Medalist
I've heard reports that Czisny is inconsistent in practice, too...

That was definitely the case at Worlds.. Though very noticable was: she landed jumps with *some* consistency in practice but the moment her music was switched on it was as if nothing was working anymore, at least for the LP.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I wonder what Alissa is reading on the boards? Two of her comments surprise and bother me a bit. Firsst, "I love competing." Huh? It looks like torture. I think she just can't bear to leave with a 22nd place finish, and even the lingerie dress couldn't help her. I rewatched Nationals. She has something in her skating that Zhang does not. Beautiful stroking, flow, basic skills which get her over, but she is a tentative jumper whose nerves are not going to get better next year. Please Alissa, have mercy on your fans who supported you all the way. It was torture to watch you compete your last two competitons. Please do some gorgeous programs for shows and galas. Go all out and get yourself invited to every show. People will forget this year. Join SOI if not bankrupt. Look at the show programs of Shizuka Arakawa, and emulate her. Get the choreographer who gives you an upbeat number with faster movement. Dazzle us with spins and a great footwork sequence. Even Chan dropped the jumps and did "Elegy" at the WC Gala skate to show off his skating skills which is what you have. This is what I'd like to see. Sasha Cohen barely jumps but is always in demand. Use your beauty and your head. You might finish far from the podium at Nationals next year, and you'll have to live with your GP performances. I honestly think you will lose support and the majority of posters are kind but would rather see you call it a day and dazzle us in the shows. Wear what you want, skate how you want, use the music you always thought was too "unprincessy." No one asked for my advice or our advice but we are all giving our 2, 4 and 6 cents. I think it is past time to move on, whether USFS still "adores" you. There is no glory in being held up.

There are younger skaters who need to get a chance and as our senior skater, it is time. The other statement that most of the emails were supportive may be true but if you read here or at FSU a lot of people really deep down feel you can't compete, you are embarassing yourself and you did, sadly lose our chance for the third spot. Cruelty sometimes seems like truth. I offeerd much love, appreciation and consolation for the total package of beauty called Alissa Czisny and your courage in getting up.

Miracles do happen, but you are not a fierce 'bring it on' girl. It is part of why you are loved. Sweet, soft, demure, shy. So if you are reading remember people like to be PC on these boards and "seem kind." Some are brutally honest. I hope if you read this you consider everyone- your long time fans, your federation, the other younger skaters who don't get the "special" points you enjoy for various reasons. Call me mean, anyone, but I think we can all be honest and polite.:think:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alissa will be a successful show skater because her signature move, the spins, are truly in a league of their own. I could watch her spin all day long, and both casual fans and more knowledgable ones can appreciate the speed, difficulty, and variety she shows. On top of that, she moves across the ice so elegantly and she should have no problem doing the doubles up to the lutz in programs.

if you read here or at FSU a lot of people really deep down feel you can't compete,...

Well, Alissa might not be overly curious about what a lot of people here feel deep down. (FSU, well yeah, I can see that...) ;)

One day at a time. See what happens at Skate Canada or TEB or Cup of Russia. Jason called me for my advice the other day, and I told him to get peppier music and put in more in-betweens so that the jumps just come up naturally instead of each one being a dreaded ordeal. He thought that was a pretty good idea, and why didn't he think of that? :cool:

macy

Record Breaker
One day at a time. See what happens at Skate Canada or TEB or Cup of Russia. Jason called me for my advice the other day, and I told him to get peppier music and put in more in-betweens so that the jumps just come up naturally instead of each one being a dreaded ordeal. He thought that was a pretty good idea, and why didn't he think of that? :cool:

wow that's cool that you know him and he can just call you up for your advice! i agree though she needs something not so slow and sad...if it's still pretty music it needs to be something along the lines of dr. zhivago or her 07 lp (sabrina i think?)

^ Just to be clear, I was kidding. I don't know Jason in real life.

In Internet Skating Board life, of course, that's a different story. :biggrin:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I personally think it's easy to WANT to be a competitor and WANT to succeed than it is to thriving competing. I've said it before-I show horses. I LOVE riding and I really, really want to do well. But sometimes no matter how focus I am in practices, no matter how well things are going at home and at the smaller shows, I just cannot shake the expectations I place on myself and fail to accomplish my goals. I don't give up, because I really do like the competition excitement and the times it does come together, it is so thrilling. But I a no Michelle, and I have failed more often than succeed. But yet I keep trying.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She is reading internet sites, she said so. So, you think MM, she should just keep on? Aren't you being PC nice and not honest? It is time for her to retire. How much more should her fans and fans of USFS suffer? Painful painful painful to watch her demise.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It is time for her to retire. How much more should her fans and fans of USFS suffer? Painful painful painful to watch her demise.

Ya know, "suffer" is not the word I use. Yeah, it's disappointing, but I've seen real suffering. This ain't it.

How much more should her fans and fans of USFS suffer?

I think I can stand it for another couple of months. :)

We'll see. It was only a year ago that Alissa was coming off a season where she won the Grand Prix Final and the U.S. championship and gave a strong showing at Worlds. I think Alissa herself will know when she wants to retire from competition. I am not really in the advice business.

Now Bret Favre, he should retire. ;)

I personally think it's easy to WANT to be a competitor and WANT to succeed than it is to thriving competing. I've said it before-I show horses. I LOVE riding and I really, really want to do well. But sometimes no matter how focus I am in practices, no matter how well things are going at home and at the smaller shows, I just cannot shake the expectations I place on myself and fail to accomplish my goals. I don't give up, because I really do like the competition excitement and the times it does come together, it is so thrilling. But I a no Michelle, and I have failed more often than succeed. But yet I keep trying.

That's an interesting insight, and it's good to have a competitor's point of view. (Something I'll never know from my own life experience, being both a chicken and a klutz!) I see what you mean. On those terms, Alissa's perseverance is completely understandable.

I think that if we had one or two really astonishing skaters, as we did in the days of Michelle and Sasha, someone with Alissa's exquisite skills would light up Nationals and maybe get to Worlds once in a blue moon, if ever--kind of like Amber Corwin or Angela Nikodinov. The fate of American skating wouldn't lie on her shoulders, and we Americans would always see the best of her. Maybe she'd get a few Grand Prix assignments each year, and perhaps 4CC. But with the current drought of skaters, Alissa is often pushed upstairs beyond her comfort level. Sometimes she floats, and sometimes she sinks to the bottom. But she does have the right to keep trying. It's not her fault that there's been no one better to take on the job. And the fact remains that when she's on, there are certain aspects of her skating that are of unparalleled quality, and she's a joy to watch.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ya know, "suffer" is not the word I use. Yeah, it's disappointing, but I've seen real suffering. This ain't it.

Of course it might not be for you Toni, and let us not talk or compare suffering. She really seems to have no clue why she was falling and cannot bear to watch HERSELF! Should her fans feel any different? I started a consoltion thread that was poorly supported, but I assumed this season was it. I doubt she can turn it around by next year. Those that think she can have a very poor understanding of what this World's mess has done to her and our chances for a 3rd spot. She was held up at Nationals. This girl, if you read the interview is in denial, and is listening to few enablers around her who love her, and fans that don't seem to get that one good season replaced by a lousy one does not a champion make. I am sad to Agnes get treated like the ugly duckling when she is an amazing jumper with other quaities. It does Alissa no good for us to use her beauty as a reason to "forgive" her.

If she gracefully retired, that would become her. She is in denial and not honest with herself or us. I doubt there is a bone in her body (206) that believes she could be US champion without the beauty points, being held up. For a smart girl, she seems not to be thinking on all cylinders.

We had two ladies who skated at the WC. One belonged there, one was gifted the spot. I think they should have an emergency plan in their selection process. It is amazing how banged Flatt was last year for sucking up the pain and skating. It seems that we cannot forgive Rachael (nor does USFS despite her very good LP at Nationals) because she is not your classic ice princess. People are so dishonest in their statements. Her reaction and explanation to her falling sounded positively detached from her experience. Have y'all read it? just plain strange. She will make a lovely pro, on this subject I am done.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You are right, and in regards to Mirai and Alissa I was speaking to their competition at the national level. Of course Mirai would need a 3/3 to compete with Carolina, YuNa, Miki, etc but at the national level 2 clean programs with no 3/3s would have won her the gold. Same for Alissa. Mirai by all accounts had great practices at Nationals so her technical content was not outside her comfort zone by any means.

OK then I agree, but their goal shouldnt be just to succeed at the National level, but at the World level. That should already be incentive to add more. Atleast until either of them wins a World title or a World medal atleast, and has enough clout to get higher PCS for similar caliber skating. Plus when they attempt to skate clean doing less and being cautious it causes them to fail at that, so obviously a different and more agressive approach would be worth trying for that too.

Plus the best situation where at the National level either merely skate clean or even just stay upright and winning is easy probably wont be anymore next year. Wagner and Gold likely have the upper hand all things equal. Wagner probably isnt as talented a skater as Czisny and Nagasu, but after her performances this season she has surely earned the USFSA loyalty and they would probably favor her over all her senior peers all things equal at Nationals 2013. Gold is the USFSA cant miss kid for now, and will be until she falters (which inevitably will happen at some point, not saying that she wont have a brilliant future, but even the best like Kwan hit a bumpy patch at some point on the way up). So Czisny and Nagasu both have yet another reason to push for more. I dont think either can expect to be the U.S judges favorite next year, and will have to really rip it away from someone else.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Those who know me can recall that I never tell skaters to retire, I only state when they appear to be past their peak.

Yet, I came awfully close to doing so with Czisny last month. The frustration with having her seemingly peak at the National championships only to fail yet again at worlds is repeating over and over again.

But even then, I won't wish for her to retire. What I WILL wish for, however, since she has stated her desire to continue, is for the rest of the US skaters to step up their game and leave her behind so no matter how she does at Nationals next year, she's not going to be on the world team again. I have nothing against her as a person; she appears to be extremely accommodating and friendly to her fans and I wish her the best in her future endeavors. But as a skater, as a competitor, frankly I've had enough. It's time to promote younger talent as it's increasingly clear she'll never get her act together.

We'll just have to see what happens.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Those who know me can recall that I never tell skaters to retire, I only state when they appear to be past their peak.

Yet, I came awfully close to doing so with Czisny last month. The frustration with having her seemingly peak at the National championships only to fail yet again at worlds is repeating over and over again.

But even then, I won't wish for her to retire. What I WILL wish for, however, since she has stated her desire to continue, is for the rest of the US skaters to step up their game and leave her behind so no matter how she does at Nationals next year, she's not going to be on the world team again. I have nothing against her as a person; she appears to be extremely accommodating and friendly to her fans and I wish her the best in her future endeavors. But as a skater, as a competitor, frankly I've had enough. It's time to promote younger talent as it's increasingly clear she'll never get her act together.

We'll just have to see what happens.

Exactly R.D. You are refusing to give any more chances after so many years and are realistic in your appraisal of things, refusing to just "sound nice." Well, if she does continue, I wish her the best." Our wishes are not horses, and all horses have a track record. They retire, too, no matter how shiny their coat, when they keep losing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She really seems to have no clue why she was falling and cannot bear to watch HERSELF! Should her fans feel any different? I started a consoltion thread that was poorly supported, but I assumed this season was it. I doubt she can turn it around by next year. Those that think she can have a very poor understanding of what this World's mess has done to her and our chances for a 3rd spot. She was held up at Nationals. This girl, if you read the interview is in denial, and is listening to few enablers around her who love her, and fans that don't seem to get that one good season replaced by a lousy one does not a champion make. I am sad to Agnes get treated like the ugly duckling when she is an amazing jumper with other quaities. It does Alissa no good for us to use her beauty as a reason to "forgive" her.

If she gracefully retired, that would become her. She is in denial and not honest with herself or us. I doubt there is a bone in her body (206) that believes she could be US champion without the beauty points, being held up. For a smart girl, she seems not to be thinking on all cylinders.

We had two ladies who skated at the WC. One belonged there, one was gifted the spot. I think they should have an emergency plan in their selection process. It is amazing how banged Flatt was last year for sucking up the pain and skating. It seems that we cannot forgive Rachael (nor does USFS despite her very good LP at Nationals) because she is not your classic ice princess. People are so dishonest in their statements. Her reaction and explanation to her falling sounded positively detached from her experience. Have y'all read it? just plain strange. She will make a lovely pro, on this subject I am done.

There's something in what you're saying here. Something in that I don't think she is telling us everything. Which is fine and all, if there are some personal issues she doesn't want to discuss, but I'm not even sure she is being honest with herself in what truly went wrong. She has SO MANY people blindly supporting her/backing her up, which is fine, but can create a distortion field. Even Phil Hersh is choosing to shift blame over to USFS instead of pointing at her like he did for Flatt. The double standard here does bother me somewhat. I do hope Czisny happened to read some of the more critical comments as well as the positive ones- she is by no means off the hook here. It's one thing to have an off-night, but it's another to sleepwalk. The whole 4CC thing rubbed me the wrong way, too- she said last year that she didn't do well because of the short prep time between Nationals and 4CC- as a result, USFS passes this year to give her more time to train for worlds and she thinks she deserved it?? She's got a bunch of people telling her she deserved it, anyway.

As for Zawadzki- well, I see no reason to hail her as The Next Great One, either. Again, she's horribly inconsistent in the FS and I'm not even convinced she'd have done much better than Czisny at worlds (perhaps in the 11th-16th range, which wouldn't have been good enough for 3 spots anyway). Unlike Czisny, though, she is still young and can perhaps get it together in the future, so I won't count her out.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
She said she was surprised she didn't get 4CC. Not that she thought she deserved it. She was the only US silver medalist not to go to 4CC. In fact, she was the only US medalist (ie, top three, pewter doesn't count) to not get a spot. There is a difference.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My bad, but the point is essentially the same: she expected to receive the invitation.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well to be pc one should retire hopefully when they want too and not because of health, money, placements but that is not real. One cannot explain always popularity or unpopularity. I have no idea why Patrick is so hated when there are others including Carolina Kostner, Sasha Cohen, Katrina Witt who won arguably controversially. We don't nearly have the uproar over Czisny than we did Rachel and Rachel placed over ten spots better. Alyssa did not even get penalized pc wise comparatively to others; she spent so much time with her butt on the ice and the were awkward falls. She didn't look like she had any confidence or was sure of any technique. Very very disappointing. By skating on she probably would skate on until 2014; not many quit a year before the olympics. As much as I like her skating; I am not a huge fan of flukes at the Olympics though Liz Manley and Paul Wylie were kind of nice stories.