At what age do female skaters peak? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

At what age do female skaters peak?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
What's horrible is that with the weakened field the US still could not get either a medal or a place back. Yes, I recognize that Ashley came close, but if she had skated a clean short she may have gotten on the podium, and it may be her only chance. Figure with YuNa, Miki and at probably two new Russian girls next year, it will be much harder. Hopefully Gracie Gold or somebody will be reaching her peak soon and finding music to skate to that she really likes.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna is finished. And even if she comes back it will only be for Worlds. As was shown last year at Worlds Yuna was not the same skater as before and that was after a one year layoff. Imagine being off the ice for two years then trying to compete.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yuna is finished. And even if she comes back it will only be for Worlds. As was shown last year at Worlds Yuna was not the same skater as before and that was after a one year layoff. Imagine being off the ice for two years then trying to compete.

I wouldn't say finished , Zhenya has stopped competing for years and then came back again and again and was still winning medals
It depends on Yuna but she needs a few more competitions before getting her old competitive form back, but I have a feeling she may be pressured by her Fed again to compete at next years Worlds or ultimately the Olympics
to get enough spots for Korea and make a splash for a name for the upcoming 2018 Olympics in Korea

mikeko666

Final Flight
We just saw ladies over age 20 rule the podium in Nice. Carolina Kostner is 24 years old; Alena Leonova is 21; and Akiko Suzuki is 26.

I wouldn't put Kostner and Suzuki in the same category. Kostner has passed her prime as a jumper while Suzuki hasn't. Kostner had enough reputation and knew she was the judge's favorite. She could afford to water down her jump content and transitions as much as she wanted. She was an athlete little more than a ballet dancer is. She was an athlete as much as Ando was an artist last year. Suzuki did not have such luxury, and perhaps never will because I truly doubt she'll ever be JFS's favorite. She will retire when she realizes that she can no longer improve her jumps.

I wouldn't say finished , Zhenya has stopped competing for years and then came back again and again and was still winning medals
It depends on Yuna but she needs a few more competitions before getting her old competitive form back, but I have a feeling she may be pressured by her Fed again to compete at next years Worlds or ultimately the Olympics
to get enough spots for Korea and make a splash for a name for the upcoming 2018 Olympics in Korea

Korea is in such a tough position. At this point still, it is YuNa or no one. This in turn puts YuNa into a tough position. After all, the way skating moves forward and changes, she can't just regain her old form. She may have to exceed it, although we can say that no current skater has yet equaled the quality of her programs at the Olympics in terms of content and execution. But she hasn't shown in recent Worlds showings that simply working hard for a year or so and showing up to compete at the end will gain her a gold. She would have to live and breathe figure skating from now to Sochi, I think, and I'm not sure she wants to or that she can, given her other commitments. I hope she's not pressured back into competition.

Of course, she's so extraordinary that if anyone could do it, she could. So I never say never. But it won't be a pleasant two years for her if that is the goal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Korea is in such a tough position. At this point still, it is YuNa or no one. This in turn puts YuNa into a tough position. After all, the way skating moves forward and changes, she can't just regain her old form. She may have to exceed it, although we can say that no current skater has yet equaled the quality of her programs at the Olympics in terms of content and execution. But she hasn't shown in recent Worlds showings that simply working hard for a year or so and showing up to compete at the end will gain her a gold. She would have to live and breathe figure skating from now to Sochi, I think, and I'm not sure she wants to or that she can, given her other commitments. I hope she's not pressured back into competition.

Of course, she's so extraordinary that if anyone could do it, she could. So I never say never. But it won't be a pleasant two years for her if that is the goal.

Korea has strong skaters coming up in Hae-Jin Kim and So-Yeon Park. They are no Yuna's, but they are pretty good and should be able to get/keep 2 spots at the Worlds and Olympics for Korea over the next few years.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
As a high school teacher, I see the maturity level of teen girls. I think what may be happening--especially in Mirai's case, I didn't watch all the other clips--is that after a certain age, the girls have to do a more "sophisticated" performance, with heavy music, trying to express sadness or desire or pain in their skating. They are adorable doing the younger, cuter music like the Nutcracker or Charlie Chaplin or whatever, but seem wooden and lost when they have to skate to the requiem of the sad violin. Teen girls of today--even the older ones--still have cutesy taste, at least my students do. They reach a point where they don't seem to like what they're skating to any more.

A lot of choreographers seem to think that maturity = sad music. That is partially true. However, there's so much maturity and nuance in upbeat music, too. Mirai should be encouraged to develop her artistry using music that suits her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What's horrible is that with the weakened field the US still could not get either a medal or a place back. Yes, I recognize that Ashley came close, but if she had skated a clean short she may have gotten on the podium, and it may be her only chance.

:bang:

As for the thread topic, I think as far as technical ability goes, probably early to mid teens on average. Then, as skaters get older, as they realize they can't always jump their way to titles, other aspects of their skating develop.

:bang:

As for the thread topic, I think as far as technical ability goes, probably early to mid teens on average. Then, as skaters get older, as they realize they can't always jump their way to titles, other aspects of their skating develop.

Maybe typically that's true, but then poster Bartek put a video on YouTube of Shizuka doing quite a few different triple-triples, which she managed to crank out even when she was 24 or so (in practices at the Olympics, though not actually in the actual programs). Don't you just love exceptions to the rule?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't know why some are so eager to see the current generation of skaters retire. It'll be cool to see some of them actually get better over the next two seasons, as opposed to the flavours of the month dominate briefly.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't put Kostner and Suzuki in the same category. Kostner has passed her prime as a jumper while Suzuki hasn't.

I agree with this. Caroline is better able to deliver clean programs now than before but the technical level she is attempting is a bit lower. However, I would say that Caro has "peaked" recently because I think part of peaking means being able to translate what you do in practice to your competitive programs. She hasn't done that before but she is making far fewer errors these days, skating several consecutive programs free of falls. She never was able to do that before.

hurrah

Medalist
I think part of peaking means being able to translate what you do in practice to your competitive programs.

Yes, I agree with this definition of 'peaking', and so it does actually mean that 'peaking' can occur anywhere between 12-13 (for those who don't survive puberty) to late 20's, depending on the skater.

Maybe 15-20 years ago, one didn't see 'peaking' in mid to late 20's, but several factors make it possible now:

1. availability of nutritionist advice (based on DNA analysis) to know what exactly you should be eating at what times and in what amounts and in what order
2. availability of trainers who are able to specify what types of training to do in what order to gain or lose what kinds of muscles in what parts of your body
3. advancements in coaching techniques (i.e., use of handycams in everyday practice and other computer-assisted analysis of athletes' movements at a microlevel to spot what is not right) that make late-stage technical corrections less troublesome

In other words, there is more precise information on how to micro-manage your health and physique, there are now more ways to continuously improve as a figure skater, and physically, women do have their natural peak around 23-5 and men in their mid to late 20's (if you look at what age groups are winning in other sports, that is what you can say), and since there's such a strong mental component to this sport, some skaters may have physically peaked a bit earlier but only reach their mental peak a bit later, and so as a whole, they reach their 'peak' in their mid to late 20's for women, and men bordering 30. So it's to be expected that 'older' skaters will continue to win in figure skating.

Of course, this is not to say that younger skaters won't win. I'm sure there will be occasions when a precocious skater will win.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is different for each individual. Here would be my estimations of some past noteables:

Maria Butyrskaya- peaked around age 26. Her best competition ever was the 1999 Worlds at 26. Her best short program ever was the 2000 Worlds at 27. Her best long program ever was possibly the 1998 Europeans at 25. Age 25-27 is the only time her skating and execution of elements was smooth enough to be taken seriously as a contender.

Michelle Kwan- Some would say she peaked at age 17 in 1998. Phil Hersh said she peaked technically at age 15 in 1996, and artistically at age 17 in 1998. I however feel her best overall performances ever were at the 2000 and 2001 Worlds at ages 20 and 21, so I would say that is when she peaked.

Tara Lipinski- Peaked at 14 and 15, but never gave herself the chance to peak at any later age.

Irina Slutskaya- Her best skating ever was fall 2004-fall 2005 until the 05/06 GP final where her decline towards Turin began. Thus she peaked at roughly age 26. Despite that from 2000-2002 she won 3 straight Grand Prix finals, a World title, an Olympic silver, regularly defeated Michelle Kwan, and nearly won 2 additional Worlds and an Olympics, she still was not skating at her fall 04/winter 05/fall 05 level, apart from possibly the 2000 Grand Prix final and 2001 Russian Nationals.

Alissa Czisny- I have a feeling her peak will forever be the 2010-2011 season. Thus her peak was age 23.

Lu Chen- Her combined technical and artistic peak was 1994/1995 so she peaked very young, ages 17 and 18. Her best performance ever was probably her LP at the 96 Worlds, but it came after a season of disaesterous skating compared to the previous 4 seasons (which is why in the political sport of figure skating she was marked 2nd for a superior performance to winner Michelle Kwan) so was an anamoly of sorts. Her technical peak was 1992-1994 and artistic peak was 1995-1998.

Surya Bonaly- Her peak was in 1993 so she peaked at age 19. Her performances at the 94 Olympics and 94 Worlds already showed a slight decline, though she didnt majorly drop off until fall 95.

Miki Ando- peaked in 2006-2007 season at age 19. Capatilized on weak field to dominate 2010-2011 season but did not reach level of skating (well mostly jumping but that is all that matters with her) as 2006-2007.

Mao Asada- peaked from fall 2005-winter 2007 so ages 15 and 16.

Joannie Rochette- peaked at ages 23/24.

Sasha Cohen- peaked at age 20/21.

Midori Ito- peaked at age 19/20 in 1989 and 1990.

Kristi Yamaguchi- peaked as amateur at age 19/20, but based on pro skating probably would have continued to get better had she stayed in.

The oldest lady skaters ever peak at the amateur level (as a pro competitor or show skater you can peak at any age) is 26. The youngest can be 15. So those holding on hoping to reach a late career peak in their 30s like Fumie Suguri are clearly delusional, as even the wide variance of peaking ages does not include anything like that.