Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev switch to Zhulin | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev switch to Zhulin

Redstone

Rinkside
If Vaytsekhovskaya is right, it's great news. The B/S have good technic but they need somebosy with taste to do choreo for them and watch what they are wearing. Zhilin can indeed produce good programs and even N/K's costumes weren't that tacky.
Oh, and a fight between B/S and I/K would get interesting

Mattieu

Medalist
Oh, and a fight between B/S and I/K would get interesting

Yes indeed.
It would also be interesting if a re-packaged Monka & Khaliavin come out with all guns blazing.
With R&T moving to Spilband and these 2 couples with Zhulin, Elena & Nikitia have just got themselves some real competition,
the fight for the top 3 Russian places just got very hot.
Bring on Sochi!!!!

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
great now I hope Viktoria and Ruslan follow B/S and M/K
they have the best potential of all the russian ice dancers and it will be a waste if Kustarova will just trash them up.

FREE Viktoria and Ruslan !!!

Redstone

Rinkside
the fight for the top 3 Russian places just got very hot.
Bring on Sochi!!!!
And that looks like the best thing that happened to the Ru!ice dance in last 6 years, because the internal rivalry should finally shake that sleepy swamp of the senior ice dance.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Wow! This is fabulous news. Now we've got a horse race. I hadn't heard about R/T going to Spilband, and I hope it's true. Their lack of speed has been holding them back, IMO, and thats bound to be addressed.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Dang it...hopes dashed again. Zhulin showed how entertaining he can be with the Azerbaijani couple, and I was imagining B/S doing something like that. Please, Skate Gods, let it be true about R/T, at least.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And now, the Russians will have medalists in ice dance at Soch

LOL they might but it sure as heck wont be Bobrova & Soloviev. IF they do end up going to Zhulin it will only accelerate their decline. Zhulin is not a good coach and has been out of favor with the Russian fed. for several years now. By Sochi I predict them to be in danger of not even making their own Olympic team. Regardless what they do though they are in trouble now.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Heh. Honestly, I don't think they're gonna be THAT far off the pack. The big three Russian teams all struggle with levels. B/S still have higher PCS than I/K and R/T. Zhulin's great for teaching technique and that would've improved B/S. Great technique means stronger chance of levels, and that alone could've made the difference for them, along with more strongly accepted programs. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are riding a huge wave of hype, but that's all it is. Monko/Khaliavin are question marks after missing last season.

Anyway, I think B/S at Zhulin, I/K with Morosov and R/T at Shpilband/Zoueva (still a question mark), Russian dance would've been less insular and more interesting.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia is not going to have any medalists in Ice Dance in Sochi. Maybe if there is a mistake made by a couple of teams! It would have to be OD 2006 again and it not effect a Russian couple. Because Gold is obviously DW or VM and P/B are there. Then you have possibles in W/P and still S/S even with 2012 worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Russia is not going to have any medalists in Ice Dance in Sochi. Maybe if there is a mistake made by a couple of teams! It would have to be OD 2006 again and it not effect a Russian couple. Because Gold is obviously DW or VM and P/B are there. Then you have possibles in W/P and still S/S even with 2012 worlds.

Also C/L. I thought they should have beaten I/K in the FD at Worlds this season, it was VERY close as is, but they skated with so much emotion in that FD, there was really no comparison, had the skate order been switched, I'm sure C/L would have come out ahead.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
C&L should have beaten I&K in the SD. By more than they lost by in the FD. I&K's rhumba was not particularly good, and it hasn't been good all season. I&K were faster than C&L, but there was little there there in the SD.

Here's the British Eurosport guys on the I&K's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdAcQuCtFM

and C&L's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW1RwX_jY8s

and B&S's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-L6gcxawS0

It was so sad about the fall, because before that, they were really doing the best I've seen them do an SD, and they were clearly better than I&K up to that point, IMO.

Macassar88

Medalist
C&L should have beaten I&K in the SD. By more than they lost by in the FD. I&K's rhumba was not particularly good, and it hasn't been good all season. I&K were faster than C&L, but there was little there there in the SD.

Here's the British Eurosport guys on the I&K's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdAcQuCtFM

and C&L's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW1RwX_jY8s

and B&S's SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-L6gcxawS0

It was so sad about the fall, because before that, they were really doing the best I've seen them do an SD, and they were clearly better than I&K up to that point, IMO.

The thing that surprised me about Bobrova and Soloviev that day besides the fall was that they got much lower levels than they normally do. I thought that their Rhumba was much better than normal, but they got lower levels than they had all year. Also, they had great twizzles, but they only got level 3 on them.
They really need to focus on getting their levels higher regardless of who they're working with next year. Otherwise they will have no shot at getting back to Russian number 1 status and being a threat for podiums.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There were some very funny things going on that day for technical levels for all the skaters. And some surprisingly low GOEs on the rhumba, based on the marks that the same teams had been getting all season, as well.

Some of it may have been due to the bad quality of the ice. I have heard, but don't know, that typically the Russians keep their ice at home on the hard side, and the ice at Nice was not uniform, and rather soft in spots. That might affect all the Russian skaters badly, and perhaps even worse than other teams; furthermore the ice was bad at Nice the last time Worlds was at Nice.

There should have been a Senior B scheduled there as a qualifier for having Worlds, perhaps, for Nice to demonstrate that they can produce a high quality ice sheet? The kids train all year, and they deserve to strut their stuff on good ice.

Last edited: