"Tatiana Tarasova outraged at refereeing of the World Championship of Figure Skating" | Golden Skate

"Tatiana Tarasova outraged at refereeing of the World Championship of Figure Skating"

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she doesn't like the result she should complain about the scoring system, not Chan's scores. The judges mark what they see and the computer tabulates the results.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She needs to move away from 6.0 judges placement thinking. She has a problem with falls not being so bad. Instead of mandatory -3 in GOE maybe mandatory -3 off total! But then there has been discussion of what should be counted as a fall. Falls are disputed.

enlight78

Medalist
If she doesn't like the result she should complain about the scoring system, not Chan's scores. The judges mark what they see and the computer tabulates the results.

She should protest the rules, but what she going to do ask the to decrease the points of the quad or increase the penalty of a fall- either way chan would have still won, and this been happening for two years - why is she protesting now- '' for the attention''

wallylutz

Medalist
Tarasova : Joubert was robbed, Hanyu's Bronze was for being Japanese

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120401/589082464.html
Can anybody translate this article? It seems that Tatiana Tarasova is outraged by Chan's ridiculous scores. She will write to the ISU to protest it?
You go girl!

Google is your friend:

http://translate.google.com/transla...igure_skating/20120401/589082464.html&act=url

Since you clearly didn't read the article before posting as you were asking for translation, where did you get to write such sensational title without actually seeing the content? :sarcasm: Also, the date of the article indicates it was written on April 1, one day after the Worlds.

Summary of the article based on Google Translate:

- Tarasova had serious concerns about the way the event was judged, which is her main complaint as opposed to any specific skaters

- Tarasova inferred that Chan's win was largely due to Skate Canada's influence within the ISU

- In referring to Chan losing his balance in his required step sequence in the SP, Tarasova described it as "literally lying around" yet some judges gave him +2 and as an evidence that judges purposely favored him

- Tarasova seems to suggest that both Takahashi and Joubert are undermarked both she didn't go as far as saying that either of them should have won. She never made any reference that Takahashi should have won but she specifically said Joubert should have been on the podium but was robbed.

- Tarasova felt Hanyu was overmarked and was gifted a Bronze medal over Joubert due to JSF's importance for the ISU and that's just life and nothing can be done about this even though Hanyu robbed Joubert

- In Ice Dance, Tarasova felt the winners should have been Davis/White but she didn't explain her decision except some subjective compliments about the American Champions, neither did she express her disagreement as strongly as she did with respect to the men's competition, leading the audience to think she feels it could go either way but she prefers the Americans

- As for Russian Ice Dance teams, she was exasperated to even talk about it and felt that the Russian Fed mismanaged their teams, even as far as citing Pissev's wife as the culpit, because a team like I/K are so talented that they could have been World Bronze medalists long before this year

- She felt that advising Leonova to work with Morozov was the right advice

- V/T in Pairs will learn from this close defeat and build for Sochi

- Re: Gachinski, Tarasova thinks it's sad failure for the skater but refused to comment in details out of respect for Alexei Mishin

I think this is a lady who speaks her mind and the world should pay attention to what she says as opposed to twisting her words and take them out of the context to create sensational headlines. I also think there are certainly ways to improve judging and learn from every competition. This past World Championship, the men's panel was a relatively inexperienced in the sense that some newcomers were at their 1st ever Worlds as ISU judges, including a representative from Turkey. There are definitely valid criticisms that Tarasova expressed with great insight in her usual passionate style. That said, there are always two sides to a coin. The results at Worlds are close enough such that given a different panel, it could have gone either way on many of the close contest, in Pairs, Ice Dance and Men's event. One thing needs to be made clear though Tarasova is merely expressing her viewpoints, she made no reference about wanting an inquiry from the ISU. In fact, she suggested that she accepts that politics will always be part of the game and no matter what she says, it won't change.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Daisuke's skate was the most thrilling for me ,and I would have been very happy to see him win.

But you'll have to excuse me if I harbour something of a suspicion that equally, if not more important in her noble indignation, is the ridiculous point she tries to make about I/K. They've long deserved to be third ? ( if this translation is to be trusted )..No. I would not be surprised if this was the real thrust behind her efforts. Elena is a beautiful girl, they are talented ... but they don't make a convincing couple to me ( and I'm not referring to the idea of romance between them ) There is no sense of togetherness. They may achieve that yet, but let them do it first . There are no marks awarded for promise.

I agree that there needs to be adjustments to the system , and I'm sure there will be some. I hope they're an improvement. ( But most of all , whatever the rules or the system the judges should be identified with their marks , and I doubt we'll see that )

ETA ..apparently things aren't necessarily translated the same way twice..:rolleye: This time , it does look more like she was saying I/K should have been able to.. It's still a lot of shoulda , woulda , coulda. Other couples aren't standing still and they ( I/K ) have work to do. C/L are a much more cohesive couple , had far more engaging programs, and show no signs of not being able to improve... I think I/K were fortunate to be 5th

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Someone ought to protest to the mods here the OP's title is once again misleading and false as the OP has done in the past.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Joubert undermarked. Excuse me for a moment while I ROTFL!!!! Joubert was in fact overmarked, it was great to see him skate so well for him, his jumps were very good that night, and the program as old as it is really suits him and he skated it with spirit and energy. Still with that totally empty choreography compared to other programs of today where did the judges pull those PCS out from. If he were skating anywhere but France the PCS would be significantly lower, and likely his final placing too. As for his TES, he cant manage higher when he never does the most COP jump layouts, and Hanyu simply has superior quality jumps and spins at this point.

Takahashi on the other hand was vastly undermarked, and should have won the LP phase, the PCS of the LP phase, if not the overall title.

Becki

Medalist
Don't know why "Hanyu being overscored" is enlarged with red font....not like that's the biggest controversy of the competition. I think Hanyu has been consistently underscored in PCs all season, and at the WC, the judges are finally marking him more 'reasonably'. Hard to digest the fact she thinks Hanyu was "gifted with the bronze medal". Although Brian performed brilliantly, his best two programs in years, and I wish he could've been on the podium, Hanyu performed a stellar LP that brought some into tears. He deserved the bronze medal - there's no doubt he was worthy of a medal at this WCs. Of course, Tatiana is entitled to her opinions; she might not like Hanyu's style.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's a bit silly for her to complain about politics playing a role in the men's outcome when Russia has, for years, benefitted from such politicking. Whether it's right or wrong politics will always play a factor in any judged sport. Although I did not agree with every medal placement, none of the results were so outrageous that they can only be attributed to politics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's a bit silly for her to complain about politics playing a role in the men's outcome when Russia has, for years, benefitted from such politicking. Whether it's right or wrong politics will always play a factor in any judged sport. Although I did not agree with every medal placement, none of the results were so outrageous that they can only be attributed to politics.

I concur. It was in the range of acceptability. We keep at this and no one will care about skating. So many arguments can be made for so and so to win. Through our eyes we will have our own winners and losers.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tatiana Tarasova is agitated by judging at World Figure Skating Championship

Moscow, Apr 1 - RIA of the news, Alexander Vladimirov. The famous coach Tatiana Tarasova considers judging on the world championship on figure skating, which was completed on Saturday in Nice, inadequate, and most of all she is about agitated about the scores, advanced to Canadian Patrick Chan. At the 2012 World Championship Russian figure skaters won two silver rewards - medal in the active membership of sport pair Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov and [odinochnitsy] Alena Leonova. Year ago on the world championship in Moscow Russians took silver and bronze. " I am very detuned by judging on this championship. I do not consider, that with the falls, with the disruptions in the short and free programs the Canadian (vat) is so better that it cannot be to anyone compete with him. This is the ugly fact of the disturbance of the rules of every kind. We cannot justify athletes to the fight, if then works judical brigandage" , said Tarasova in the telephone conversation.

In Nice the vat protected the title of the champion of the World, after going around Japanese Daisuke Takahashi to six and the more of marks. According to Tarasova, the serious representation of Canada in the international union of the skaters (ISU) of " does not give the right to win thus already which [god]". " It turns out that vat literally is dragged along, it tears away short program, and some judges to it still place plus two (mark). This is inadmissible, when in people of the same talent and gift, which work as beasts, is selected the possibility with it to enter into [borbu]" , the interlocutress of agency noted.

In the opinion of Tarasova, Takahashi, [otkatavshiy] the program of " by its of [zhizni]" , and Frenchman Brian Joubert - " [stolpy]" figure skating, which " they are not absolutely supported by the judical of [kollegiey]". Joubert occupied in Nice the fourth place. " Takahashi [otkatal] simply best program in his life. It has phenomenal program and the unique technology of glide and rotation. But Joubert literally rose from the ashes, such things must be also evaluated. But completely young person from Japan Yuzuru Hanyu could still stand in the fourth place, because Joubert did everything. But I understand the advantage of the same Japanese federation must by all, but I count this completely incorrectly with respect to [frantsuzu]" , the coach emphasized.

In the ice dance conquered the Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, which exceeded the Americans Of Meryl Davis and Charlie White. To Virtue and Moir, the Olympic champions of Vancouver -2010, passed the large part of the past season because of the problems with the health in female partner. " In my opinion, win had to the Americans, is counted Tarasova. - Their free program is incomparably better, it is more virtuoso, it is more musical. It high-speed, unique, light. I worked many years, I have right to my own opinion. Even she wanted to write in ISU letter. Indeed evidently to eye, who is better and how. I am glad for the Canadians, that they were restored, but today they are not champions.

it is necessary to think On the Russian figure skaters, who appear in the ice dance, by the acknowledgement As Tarasova " even it does not want [govorit]". " We lost our dances, which have been led by Alla Shekhovtsova, to ten-twelve years. I am tired to speak on this theme, because I consider that she must bear responsibility for this. The pair, which occupied the fifth place Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov, they are such gifts, that have already long ago could be third" , noted the coach.

Silver medal Of the Leonova according to Tarasova, for the figure skater - " large of [uspekh]" , which it could attain after passage into Nikolai Morozov's group. " It showed itself by soldier. In the past year Alena felt in herself forces to be star, wanted to switch over to another trainer, and I to it advised to go to Morozov. I think that correctly advised. This is its [trener]" , the interlocutress of agency noted. The second in a row silver medal for the sport pair Of [volosozhar]/[Trankov] must become a good lesson on the threshold of the Olympiad in Sochi, it added Tarasov. To Russians it was not sufficient to gold of 0,11 marks.

" I do not consider this defeat by offensive, she noted. - These are still lessons, which must be passed before the Olympic Games. The lessons of life, the lessons of the craftsmanship, which will allow them into the necessary minute, relying on their own experience, to make that the fact that they can. I congratulate entire these group - Nina Moser, To [allu] To [kapranovu], Stanislav Morozov, Nikolai Morozov - with this large victory in the free program, with this clean and staggering emotional presentation. This was not simply the performance of elements, but by soul completed [polet]".

But to here name the reasons for Arthur Gachinsky's failure that engaged 18th place, Tarasova did not want, after returning everything to the ransom to the personal trainer of athlete Aleksey [Mishin]. " To Arthur there is about which to think and at how to work - this is accurate. This is nightmarish failure of the bronze prize-winner of the world championship of last year. As we see, not only quadruple jumps the fate of victory, but also the quality of performance. But Arthur it was famous by the fact that it can make these fast-rotating jumps, he them taught and, as it seemed already learned to us. But a question is faster to its trainer to Aleksey [Mishin], I so deeply into the creative laboratory do not can [vmeshivatsya]" , she said trainer. " I considered that the composite command had to bring two medals. We brought two medals. More we could not bring, unfortunately. We have young people, and we on them and to their trainers very of [nadeemsya]" , it concluded Tarasov.

So yes, Tarasova thinks she should write a letter about the ice dance judging, and that Davis & White should have won. The reasons she cites are PCS reasons-great speed, lightness, uniqueness, performance.

She is not happy with Chan's scores.

She thinks Joubert should be third, Hanyu fourth.

At least as much sense as I can extract from the translation program.

On the complaints of politicking, it is interesting that she is complaining on behalf of Takahashi, Davis & White, and Joubert, not about the scores of Russian ice dancers and men's competitors.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
So yes, Tarasova thinks she should write a letter about the ice dance judging, and that Davis & White should have won. The reasons she cites are PCS reasons-great speed, lightness, uniqueness, performance.

She is not happy with Chan's scores.

She thinks Joubert should be third, Hanyu fourth.

At least as much sense as I can extract from the translation program.

On the complaints of politicking, it is interesting that she is complaining on behalf of Takahashi, Davis & White, and Joubert, not about the scores of Russian ice dancers and men's competitors.

And as with Becki, I don't understand why the poster bolded, enlarged and used red font on the part about Hanyu, especially after complaining about the "misleading" original title. Isn't calling such extreme attention to just one of Tarasova's complaints just as misleading?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Tarasova is entitled to her opinions, but her opinions do not carry any weight with me, especially considering her ridiculous remarks about Joubert´s scoring, LOL. If anything, Joubert was overscored and did not deserve a bronze medal (and Hanyu did), in my opinion. Tarasova apparently has difficulties in getting it, that the 6.0 scoring is long over.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno doris, I think she's trying to sneak a little I/K boost in there. Interesting, given how thoroughly she hammered them and Zhulin at the beginning of last season. More generally, complaining about the massive influence of another federation could certainly be read as the diminishing influence of her own (the Alla comment)

johnny 80

Match Penalty
I dunno doris, I think she's trying to sneak a little I/K boost in there. Interesting, given how thoroughly she hammered them and Zhulin at the beginning of last season. More generally, complaining about the massive influence of another federation could certainly be read as the diminishing influence of her own (the Alla comment)

Her influence was diminished abruptly right after Vancouver Olympics. I remember North Americans (Sasha, Kwan,Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz, Timothy Goebel, Johnny Weir,etc) thronged to get the choreography from her. All over the world, Eurpeans and Japanese also wanted eagerly to get programs from her. What glorious days for her. Now,,,,, Who's gonna want the programs from her except Russians?

Last edited:
Her influence was diminished abruptly right after Vancouver Olympics. I remember North Americans (Sasha, Kwan,Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz, Timothy Goebel, Johnny Weir,etc) thronged to get the choreography from her. All over the world, Eurpeans and Japanese also wanted eagerly to get programs from her. What glorious days for her. Now,,,,, Who's gonna want the programs from her except Russians?

You may be forgetting something, Tat is indeed a chief staff for Russian figure skating team heading for Sochi and it's now unknown that Russian federation is reserving top Russian coaches' time and energy for their skaters.

Tarasova is entitled to her opinions, but her opinions do not carry any weight with me, especially considering her ridiculous remarks about Joubert´s scoring, LOL. If anything, Joubert was overscored and did not deserve a bronze medal (and Hanyu did), in my opinion. Tarasova apparently has difficulties in getting it, that the 6.0 scoring is long over.

ITA. Wouldn't add a word to what you said there.