WTT Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

WTT Short Dance

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I don`t think its a done deal for D&W if the judging is fair tommorow, V&M have a more difficult free dance and higher base value making up those 2+ points is doable barring the panel doesn`t overscore D&W`s recycled waltz.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
It wasn`t fair today charlie was off axis on the twizzles again and they were not downgraded and their small pattern did not deserve a level anyway the judges did not think D&W were better tessa and scott still edged them out on PCS that 69 score for V&M was ridiculous.

^ Is the judging panel the same for tomorrow? Why do you think tomorrow's panel will notice Charlie's bad twizzles but today's didn't?

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Sorry its fishy judging there is no way Davis and White deserved a 10 for coreo and in interpretation they should have been behind looks like the ISU got influenced too much by the sore losers three weeks ago.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don`t think its a done deal for D&W if the judging is fair tommorow, V&M have a more difficult free dance and higher base value making up those 2+ points is doable barring the panel doesn`t overscore D&W`s recycled waltz.

Wrong again. The base value, as planned, by both teams is identical, all level 4's.

Whether they will achieve that base level, or have some level 3's, is in the hands of the teams when they skate, and the tech panel when they judge.

There is nothing recycled about Die Fledermaus. It may not be your taste, but even Tracy Wilson the Canadian commentator likes it, not to mention Tarasova, and Alla who is Piseev's wife. Not to mention all those who gave it a standing ovation in Nice, France, Moscow, Russia, the US, and yes, Quebec City, Canada.

The two most difficult skills in it are the spin, solely from a back outside edge which is so fiendishly hard that no one else did it in seniors this year. Too hard to get level 4 with it for most teams. It requires great strength and deep knee bend from both partners to execute.

Likewise, the variation they do on a classic leg on shoulder rotational lift is brilliant, where Charlie spins so fast that Meryl is able to sit straight upright and not have to hold on at all, being able to retain a steady and gorgeous upright split position. Don't trust me on this. Almost every judge all year has given that lift +3 in GOE. To compare what the usual version of this lift looks like, check out C&L. Anna has to lay out flat and grab onto Luca throughout the element.

The reason V&M lost the level today is because Tessa had an interruption in twizzling action in the twizzle. This is a mandatory level drop of 1 level, and is easily visible. And she failed to get level 4 in either rhumba sequence due to problems holding a steady outside edge. The camera angle was perfect for showing Meryl hit a steady back outside edge in the chocktaw for one of the 2 sequences, and that's why they got the level this time.

V&M's final rotational lift in the SD with the interesting twist entry is another excellent skill, well deserving of +3 GOE. I also really like their new transition into the Temptation part of the program.

OTOH, the closest thing to a recycled program in ice dance this year is Tessa & Scott's SD, where they reused last year's FD music.

It's worthwhile appreciating what teams, even those whose material you don't like, do well. It makes watching the competitions much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry its fishy judging there is no way Davis and White deserved a 10 for coreo and in interpretation they should have been behind looks like the ISU got influenced too much by the sore losers three weeks ago.

Well, SCOTT, you were the "sore loser" at the GPF. And there is no sorer loser than Scott Moir.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
ISU got influenced too much by the sore losers three weeks ago.

Where are you getthing this? D/W did or said nothing that made them sore losers. For a sore loser, may I suggest Scoot Moir's hissy fit after the GPF.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I wouldn't normally be commenting on this, but I found a certain poster's comments completely offensive. I've seen Tessa up-close at Worlds, including several times off-ice. She's a thin and delicate girl, (more skin and bones than you would imagine, All That), as are all of the ice-dancers. Most of them look like kids in normal clothes and without makeup. We're talking about someone who weighs 47-48 kilos at most, for God's sake. She certainly doesn't need to lose any more weight. Anyone who claims that is either blind or just making obnoxious comments to pass the time.

I'll back you up on that one Ioana. She is like a porcelaine doll, not only is she very delicate looking but she is absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful peaches and cream complexion....not a blemish to be seen.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
All this talk about weight gain is ridiculous. The camera and light tights on the gals add 10 lbs - ask any ballet dancer. You wouldn't notice it on the guys because they are all wearing black pants. Capisce???

deedee1

Record Breaker
Just a quick overall impression on Short Dance.

Great performances from the top four, I would say.
They were not as crisp and clean as in the Worlds; off balance here and there, of course, but still. I think Ice Dance discipline demands just so much skaters, you know. Full of choreography, steps and inbetweens; they hardly had no simple strokings to increase speed; unlike Singles and Pairs.

The audience, including me, loved all performances of top four and had standing ovations.
I especially loved Nathalie/Fabian and Meryl/Charlie. Anna/Luca was also good. Tessa and Scott looked a bit off to me, compared to their norm.
But I was surprised the point difference between the top two. And audience's reaction was like, "Oh, that much?"

Last edited:
Thanks, Deedee. It's great to have your eyewitness reports. I can't wait to hear about the free dance and the other long programs!