Gary Beacom - A Skating Genius | Golden Skate

Gary Beacom - A Skating Genius

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Probably one of Canada's most controversial skaters was Gary Beacom. He drove the judges and the Canadian Figure Skating Association (Skate Canada) crazy! Yet, this guy was a genious on ice. This is one of my favorite programs Gary did later in a pro competition:

It's skated to "I'm Your Man" by Leonard Cohen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHpnsI9Xh8&feature=fvsr

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPwyWjYAuk&feature=related

I have to add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJLlBn8-pE&feature=g-vrec&context=G2801689RVAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Oops...I added the same routine! It is brilliant. How he does those moves is beyond me. Gary reinvents as he skates.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
My absolute fave! He also did an interesting one to I Think I'm Losin' My Marbles (Mendelson Joe) with his former partner Gia Gudat(sp) but it wasn't on youtube last I looked.

tempika

Spectator
Country
Ukraine
He is probably my favorite skater from those times. The best twizzles I've ever seen. Is that true that he tought skating himself, without coach? And never had any serious injuries during his career?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
He is probably my favorite skater from those times. The best twizzles I've ever seen. Is that true that he tought skating himself, without coach? And never had any serious injuries during his career?

No, he almost always had coaches but he changed coaches often. I can well imagine he was very frustrating as a student. Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
No, he almost always had coaches but he changed coaches often. I can well imagine he was very frustrating as a student. Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.

Towards the end of his career, he coached himself while getting a degree in physics from the University of Toronto (which, I understand, is like the Harvard of Canada!)!

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Towards the end of his career, he coached himself while getting a degree in physics from the University of Toronto (which, I understand, is like the Harvard of Canada!)!

Not even close. U of T is the top ranked Canadian University but it's 23rd in the World. Harvard is #2.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm not saying it's ranked as high as Harvard in the world. I'm saying that it's like the Harvard equivalent. Besides, 23rd isn't anything to sneeze at.

UsedtoDance

Rinkside
Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.

This is soooo true. But he was/is and incredible spinner. I remember watching him actually gain speed in a spin and it ws as if he would just spin forever and ever. VERY interesting guy though.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Yes, Gary was his own coach for many years as he likely did not get along with being coached. He definitely "marched to his own drum." I think he loves skating for skating's sake and it shows when he performs. What Gary does on the blade is unique.

sgower

Rinkside
His use and command of edges is second to none. I heard or read that he has many different pairs of skates, some with almost no support in order to use edges in new and innovative ways.