Winners in Men's, Lady's, and Dance at this competition were the real World Champions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Winners in Men's, Lady's, and Dance at this competition were the real World Champions

romanoff81

Match Penalty
This was just a glorified cheesefest Tessa and Scott got shafted last time as well in 2009 they scored almost 5 points less than at worlds even lost to the awful Belbin and agosto, its Okay Chukm D&W can continue winning what Scott calls the ``minor competitions`` even Charlie admited it its not worlds or Olympics you are right you will never beat Tessa and scott there when it counts.

anthologyz

Rinkside
I agree. She looks like a cowboy who's sat on a horse for too long as she telegraphs her jumps.

i certainly hope alena selects something less dirge-like for her free skate next year. the whole thing sounded like a memorial service for the fall of the soviet union.

i also hope akiko will continue her upward movement & win the title next year. caro finally put it together but i still can't believe she's the first women's world champ since jill trenary in 1990 to win without a Lutz in sight.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
i certainly hope alena selects something less dirge-like for her free skate next year. the whole thing sounded like a memorial service for the fall of the soviet union.

LOL.

At this competition, Daisuke deserved to win hands-down. Chan just wasn't on top of his skate as much and was about a measure behind the music due to his technical mistakes. We just need the judges to recognize what "skating with heart" means, and I hope they get the message.

As for Chan, I think he's on the way on being more emotionally invested in his music, if his World EX program shows us anything. A part of his problem is that the figure skating audience doesn't really respond well to male modern dance, which is generally emotionless but shows off extraordinary technique. Hopefully, Jeff Buttle or David Wilson can get him to connect with the audience more.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Suzuki was worthy of being world champ? That's the biggest joke ever! It was rightly between Leonova and Kostner. Kostner said "no more lutz" "maybe two flips" and used her PCS and spin and step skills. Her jumps were just fill in jumps. The kind of jumps used in shows because they are easy. But they get points and she used the points and the PCS made her win. It was close because Leonova had real jumps and she was more successful in real jumps. Suzuki also had real jumps but sloppy. Then you had Wagner who had SP problems. Wagner was good too in the free skate. But no way Suzuki would have made the real world champ. No way. Leonova before Suzuki.

How was Suzuki sloppy? She did everything essentially clean, the first 3 jumping passes were all +1/+2 GOE quality, and just popped one jump into a single. Kostner's jump content was lower even with Suzuki's mistake (since she made a mistake of her own) and Kostner had several fumbles in her footwork sequence. Suzuki deserved to win technically and, while it becomes more subjective after that, I feel Suzuki's program was overall better and that she had better musical timing. Look at how lackluster the ending to Kostner's program is and how half-heartedly she throws her hand on her hand at the end, not in time with the music and giving off a feeling of "Oh, oops, I almost forgot to do this move and I'm only doing it because my choreographer told me to, not because I am inspired to or trying to do something special with the music."

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was just a glorified cheesefest Tessa and Scott got shafted last time as well in 2009 they scored almost 5 points less than at worlds even lost to the awful Belbin and agosto, its Okay Chukm D&W can continue winning what Scott calls the ``minor competitions`` even Charlie admited it its not worlds or Olympics you are right you will never beat Tessa and scott there when it counts.

D&W were the ones shafted for a medal at Worlds in 2009. They easily had the best FD of all the teams on the podium but still didn't get on the podium. Reputation scoring still rules at times.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
D&W were the 2nd US team at the time...it's always a hard slog when you haven't yet won your country's championship.

If W&P were Canada number 1, they would have medalled this year, I think.

C&L suddenly are scoring better now that F&S have retired.

It's a fairly universal problem.

figuristka

Medalist
I don't agree, but agree the winner's at WTT were all wonderful and it was well deserved.

You have to take into account Patrick, V/M, and Carolina just accomplished their goals for this season and would have less modivation for WTT even if they wanted to do well for the team.

My very favourite program of all the programs is Daisuke Takahashi's short. I find Daisuke captivating and musical. I also love Akiko even more after WTT, and she is becoming my favourite of the ladies. I do think World's was judged correctly but Daisuke, Akiko, and D/W are all showing they are competitive with the World Champions and could win a competition on a given night. It makes for a more exciting event to have not always the same dominate skater's winning everything.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
"Winners in Men's, Lady's, and Dance at this competition were the real World Champions"

Were the pairs' winners also the real World Champions?

jiggs

On the Ice
Her jumps were just fill in jumps. The kind of jumps used in shows because they are easy. But they get points and she used the points and the PCS made her win. It was close because Leonova had real jumps and she was more successful in real jumps. Suzuki also had real jumps but sloppy.

So, just because of not doing the lutz, Carolina doesn't have "real" jumps? So, the lutz is the only "real" jump, according to your statement?
As far as I can remember, having been a skater myself, there are six jumps in figure skating, and whether it's an axel, a toeloop or a lutz, they are all considered "real" jumps. :rolleye:

Carolina won the world title hands down. She may not have done the lutz, but the jumps she did were textbook and of such high quality, the other ladies could not even come close (not even Suzuki who has nice jumps). Carolina had a 3-3 in the short program and a 2a3t in the long program, all the other solo jumps she did in the long were pristine clean, you can't do them any better. The difference in quality to all the other skaters was so clear and she got rewarded for it with high GOEs. People seem to forget that she did not win the title only based on the high PCS she received (and deservedly so). No, she also won on TES in the long!

While I really like Akiko, she did not come close to Carolina at Worlds. Yes, she should have won the silver over Alena IMO, but gold, no. Now, World Team Trophy is a totally different story and Akiko deservedly won there, hands down. But at worlds, we had a clear winner who delivered when it counted, skated amazingly well and won the title fair and square.

The men's title could have gone either way. I think as a whole, Chan deserved to win, but no way did he deserve to win the long program. I was shocked he was ahead in the long too, and I was also quite shocked that Dai only had the third best free skate of the night. But as a whole, imo Chan deserved his title.

I am not a dance expert at all so I can't comment on the technical side of the top teams but my impression was that on the given night, D/W skated their program much better and more polished than V/M. I do think V/M are the better overall skaters but I was not so impressed with their FD at Worlds. That is just my overall impression though, again I don't know anything about levels and whether V/M really deserved higher levels than D/W. Both are excellent teams with different strenghts and weaknesses but just judging from an overall impression, I would have had D/W ahead.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I don't really have a problem with the results at Worlds. Certainly I would give Chan lower scores in interpretation and in choreography and I would give more to Takahashi in those segments. Nevertheless, I believe Chan would still be the winner.
In dance, it's just so difficult to pick between Davis & White and Virtue & Moir!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Just saying.

Discuss. Etc.

No. Each competition is a snapshot in time, and whoever wins that night is the rightful winner that night. The real world champions won in Nice. The world team champions won in Tokyo.

Every skater, whether they are world champions or skating in their first ISI recreational competition start anew with each competition. If you win, you hold that title forever.

deedee1

Record Breaker
No. Each competition is a snapshot in time, and whoever wins that night is the rightful winner that night. The real world champions won in Nice. The world team champions won in Tokyo.

Every skater, whether they are world champions or skating in their first ISI recreational competition start anew with each competition. If you win, you hold that title forever.

No over-hyping one's favorite skaters and/or no over-protecting their skaters' comments/behaviors, no bashing on one's favarite skater's rivals and/or no over-reacting to rival skaters' comments/behaviors. :thumbsup:

bluedog, 'the best post of the day' for me! :agree:

But, the problem shall be...if everyone is as civilized as you are and thinks this way, this forum gets so peaceful that some of the members here have nothing to complain about, no naysayers to snap at and may get bored. :p
Now the season is finally over, we may get in a big trouble like 'how are we gonna kill the time during the offseason?' :laugh:

Leonardo

Final Flight
^^ Although her pcs should be much closer to Carolina's (with the exception of skating skills, I guess). I have no idea why those judges never seem to really love Akiko's choreography and interpretation. I think she's brilliant.

icefan1005

Rinkside

I agree. We should all just look forward to the next season after this exciting and long season.