Best and Worst Programs of 2011-2012 | Golden Skate

Best and Worst Programs of 2011-2012

macy

Record Breaker
Ashley's Black Swan is my favorite hands down. I'm so sad to see it go, she skated it with so much power and paid attention to every little detail.
Alissa's La Vie en Rose was so charming! it fit her so well.
V/T's black swan was awesome.
both of carolina's programs, she is just beautiful.
Jeremy's long was amazing.
Mao's Liebestraum of course.
both D/W and V/M freedances were so enjoyable and entertaining.

Alena's programs had NO choreography.
Pretty sure everyone else will say it, but Mirai's lifeless programs.
aaaaand alissa's sad, depressing long. that is the one program of the year that i am SO glad is gone.
I don't want to call Rachael's firebird bad...but it wasn't good either. it was kind of like Leonova's programs...not great choreography, but she sold the hell out of it at nats which made it enjoyable to watch.
i didn't enjoy either of agnes' programs. i felt they were too similar, along with her dresses.
same with caroline's programs. the music may not have been similar, but the dresses were. i wasn't a fan of either music pieces either.
and liza's too...both programs were latin-ish and the choreography and ice coverage were bad.
adelina's short, costume(s) included
ksenia's marilyn monroe long...oh dear.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Best:

Kostner's SP
Takahashi's SP
Abbott's SP and LP
Savchenko/Szolkowy's LP
Hanyu's LP

Worst:
Leonova's LP
Amodio's SP and LP (especially the ludicrous tiger one he had earlier in the season)
I/K's FD
Voronov's SP and LP (I sense a theme here)
Nagasu's LP
Makarova's LP
Denney/Coughlin's LP

...okay, I should stop.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Best:

D&W FD
V&M FD
Chan's LP
Hanyu's LP
Abbott's SP
Takahashi's LP
Kostner's SP and LP
Mao's LP

Worst:

Amodio's SP and LP
Abbott's LP
Takahashi's SP

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Best:
Daisuke's lp
Kostner's lp
D/W fd
S/S lp
V/T lp
Sotnikova's sp
Makarova sp

Worst:
Leonova's lp
Makarova's lp
Gold's sp

figuristka

Medalist
Best
Daisuke's sp and lp
Patrick's lp
Akiko lp
Carolina's lp
Yuzuru sp and lp
Ashley's lp
Jeremy lp

hard to say the worst but some skaters such as Leonova, and Denney/Coughlin need more choreography. Even though Joubert and Amodio don't have the best choreography they are wonderful entertainer's.

jiggs

On the Ice
Best
Savchenko/Szolkovy's LP
Carolina Kostner SP & FP
Jeremy Abbott FP
Daisuke Takahashi SP
Zlobina/Sitnikov FD
Kiira Korpi FP
Javier Fernandez SP

Worst
Pretty much all the Morozov programs. I can't recall liking any of the programs he did for his skaters this season.

figuristka

Medalist
Best:

D&W FD
V&M FD
Chan's LP
Hanyu's LP
Abbott's SP
Takahashi's LP
Kostner's SP and LP
Mao's LP

Worst:

Amodio's SP and LP
Abbott's LP
Takahashi's SP

Gosh iam really surprised you thought Takahashi's SP was the worst. I had a vote going and its voted #1 so far.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meryl & Charlie's "Die Fledermaus"
Tessa & Scott's "Funny Face"
Adam & Jeremy's sp & lp as performed @ US Nationals
Javier Fernandez' free skate (from Skate Canada)
Ashley's "Black Swan"
Mary Beth & Rockne's "Singin' in the Rain" SP from US Nationals
Akiko's free skate
Daisuke's free skate

Morning Glory

On the Ice
My best:

Daisuke's SP & LP
Yuzuru's LP
Jeremy's SP & LP
Mao's LP
Ashley's SP & LP
Carolina's SP
Akiko's SP

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It is a season of Long Programs and Galas.

Ladies:

Wagner's Black Swan, should have been a bigger block buster at world championships where her PCS was under marked.

Mao's Jupiter Gala, my fav work from her so far.

Mens:

Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet (Raved too much already since beginning of the season)

Jeremy's Exogenesis Symphony by Muse (Gorgeous piece of work, he is en route to become a Lambiel or a Buttle.)

Daisuke's Blues for Klook

Daisuke's Gala Legend of 1900 aka Wil Smith's Seven Pounds
(This is a wonderful ending complimenting the central theme to Daisuke's suite programs this year. A challenge to rift to repetitions in rhythm and phrasing, but still find the delicate emotional tones in each movements and expression, one of slow burning contemplation with intense bursts of colour and vigour. Mastering 'less is more' and that the abstract can still form a deep impression that lingers, that moves and mesmerizes. It is not the sort of audience friendly (and judges friendly apparently) suite of programs and requires more work from the audience to really paying attention and appreciate, but he made it so easy. In any other hands today, it could be monotonous and boring instead of slow burning and haunting.)

Patrick Chan's Elegie Gala at WC. First time I consider Patrick Chan might be one of the greatest of all time. The whole thing just works (and couldn't come at a better time to silent the critics.)

Worsts:

Alena's LP and pretty much anything via Morozov Inc. COP formula, I hope he doesn't ruin Julia Lipnitskaia with over indulgence.
Ksenia Makarova's LP, I feel sorry she had to skate a whole season to that music edit and still 'act' like she is in love with it. She deserve some sort of medal just for that surely!

Last edited:

snejina

Rinkside
Best
S/S PINA LP
V/T SP Evanescence
T/V SP and Funny Face
D/W Fliedermaous
Ashley Wagner's Black Swan
Carolina Kostner's SP and LP
Alena Leonova's SP
Mao Asada's Sheherezade
Akiko LP

I'm on a quick break at the office, so I'll just put in the three I love the best.

D/W's Die Fledermaus
Takahashi's long program
Mao Asada's Jupiter (I Vow to Thee, My Country) gala

Special mention to Patrick's amazing Jeffrey Buttle gala program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Best:

Short program:
Kanako Murakami
Elene Gedevanishvili
Akiko Suzuki
My absolute favorites this season, although it took awhile for the first two to grow on me. Others worth mentioning: Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner, Adelina Sotnikova.

Daisuke Takahashi
Jeremy Abbott
Other programms I liked were those of Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Artur Gachinski (when he skated like he did at EC)

Long program:
Ashley Wagner
Carolina Kostner
Akiko Suzuki
Mao Asada

Yuzuru Hanyu (favorite program of the season!)
Daisuke Takahashi
And that was pretty much it... a lot of nice programs, but nothing really special anymore I'd like to mention.

Ex:
Mao Asadas Jupiter!:love:
Already the first seconds reminded me again why this woman would always belong in my all time favorites list, no matter where she goes from here on.
Sotnikova's 'Hernandos Hideaway' and Suzuki's 'Show me how you burlesque' were very enjoybale to watch too.

For the men, I liked both of Patrick Chans programs this season. The first made me smile, the second was simply stunning.

louisa05

Final Flight
Best:

Wagner's Black Swan. I'm worried she can't top it or even equal it next year.
Mao's LP
Carolina's LP
Takahashi's LP

Worst:

Mirai's Spartacus LP.
Rachael's Firebird (although it doesn't seem as bad if you think back to last year's LP)
Chan's Take Five SP (for the love of all that is good about skating and music, get a new SP, Patrick!)
Gold's SP (that music makes my ears bleed)

CassAgain

On the Ice
Best: Die Fledermaus (but P/B's SD and Dai's LP are very close)

Worst: I'm going to go with Dornbush's cowboy thing.

periperi

On the Ice
Best

Savchenko/Szolkowy's LP

Davis/White's FD

Carolina Kostner's SP and LP
Ksenia Makarova's SP (Jump content is heavily front-loaded, but I can't get over how flowy and smooth she is skating to this program. Her edging is put to good use here.)
Viktoria Helgesson's LP (great ice coverage, in-betweens and footwork that she does justice with her strong fundamentals--even if her PCS doesn't show it.)
Mao Asada's LP (The footwork sequence is just :love:)

Patrick Chan's SP (This program is a lot of fun for me to watch. It's spectacular how easy he makes the one-foot footwork seem.)
Jeremy Abbott's SP (Another fun program that I always looked forward to throughout the season)
Patrick Chan's LP (Aranjuez was love at first sight for me. Favorite program of the season and my favorite program by Chan, period.)
Daisuke Takahashi's LP (Depends on the performance.)
Jeremy Abbott's LP (I can see why it's been called pretentious by some, but I still think it's a beautiful program that accentuates all his lovely qualities.)
Takahiko Kozuka's LP (I've got some issues with his long--mainly the music cut, but I'm biased and I can't get over how he floats during the footwork.)
Yuzuru Hanyu's LP (I've got some issues with his skating, but the program itself is well put together, and he has a genuine aura performing it that I find endearing.)

Worst

Florent Amodio's programs (Dude, you are so much better than this...)
Alena Leonova's LP
Ksenia Makarova's LP

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Best LP: I don't know which one to pick but it would be from one of these three (D&W, Caro, Dai) D&W and Dai skated their LP to their potential while Caro did not so it make the decision harder. Maybe Dai because he was just a better performer than the others.

Best SP: Would be one of these (T/T, C/L, Dai, Caro) T/T have never skated that SP perfectly. Would have been my pick for the best SP. Caro for the SP for me based on what they have done.

Worst: Marakova LP. Can't think of another worse program in recent memory.