Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Orser is in a no win situation. Hanyu is already proclaimed to be the OGM material all on his own and Orser has already been preemptively denied any credit for Hanyu's future success. But surely it would be all his fault if Hanyu does not live up to the lofty expectation/hype which is really too much too early to put on such a young person.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Orser is in a no win situation. Hanyu is already proclaimed to be the OGM material all on his own and Orser has already been preemptively denied any credit for Hanyu's future success. But surely it would be all his fault if Hanyu does not live up to the lofty expectation/hype which is really too much too early to put on such a young person.

:laugh: That's a bit melodramatic, innit? I'm sure Orser is looking forward to working with Hanyu and vice versa. And in the likely event that Hanyu continues to succeed, Orser is going to get credited by the JSF, other federations and skaters who may consider moving to him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:laugh: That's a bit melodramatic, innit? I'm sure Orser is looking forward to working with Hanyu and vice versa. And in the likely event that Hanyu continues to succeed, Orser is going to get credited by the JSF, other federations and skaters who may consider moving to him.

Didn't you read some of the posts in this thread where this sentiment was spelled out? As I expressed earlier, even the most talented persons/athletes/skaters don't have a guaranteed straight path to the summit, but so often blame seems to be quickly needed whenever there is a disappointment, temporary it may be.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Didn't you read some of the posts in this thread where this sentiment was spelled out? As I expressed earlier, even the most talented persons/athletes/skaters don't have a guaranteed straight path to the summit, but so often blame seems to be quickly needed whenever there is a disappointment, temporary it may be.

Orser will be fine! He survived the dissolution of his partnership with Yuna kim, he can survive whatever horrors that may be in store in working with Yuzuru. :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I still think it is more to do with JSF making a political and strategic move than about Hanyu.

World Championship next year take place in Canada says alot (Javier scored great in Canada), and the track record of what Orser's team have done for Yuna who were similarly ready made when she went to him, just have some injury problems that require better management and pacing makes him a suitable candidate, a great COP team. If it doesn't work out, I am fairly certain the kids will move to a Russian coach next season for Sochi.

Last edited:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Brian Orser has a big responsibility in taking on a seventeen year old phenomenal skater for whom there are very high expectations. If the kid does not continue to develop, for sure people are going to point the finger at Orser. I would think that Orser knows and accepts that. Everyone is watching this one carefully.

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty

This is so laughable. If Orser is in a no win situation, why was he willing to take on Hanyu then? Is he really that desperate for fame? Of course, he has to take responsibility and/or blame for his skater's future success or failure. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, well, he can say 'no' to Hanyu.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
I agree that it is true that Orser is in a no-win situation if most people don't think he is a good enough coach for as talented a skater as Hanyu. But Orser's reputation (good or bad) isn't based on thin air and people seem to have very strong opinions in this regard.

Realistically though: If everything goes right, kudos all around. But if this kid i(coming to him at 17 already as bronze medalist) is broken, yes Mr. Orser is going to have to share a huge portion of the blame. He has a big responsibility. An "oh well, it didn't work" shrug just won't cut it. If he hasn't figured that out, he should not be Hanyu's coach.

But, as always , Orser will find excuses, if he is broken. I'm expecting his excuses for Gao's not growing under his wings for 3 years. Same placement in US nationals 3 years ago.

I'm wondering. Is there any student he is coaching independently without Wilson's choreography?

Of course, Wilson independently choreographs many skaters all over the world. (Korpi, Joubert,Takahashi,Kim,Chan,etcetera,,, etcetera)

Last edited:

kimganos

On the Ice
Brian Boitano won the Olympics with his one and only long time coach Linda Lever. I love Yuzuru's Coach Abe, they sparkled together in the Kiss and Cry and will miss seeing them together. They seemed to have such a special relationship. It will be sad not to see Abe with Yuzuru at the Olympics!:no:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is so laughable. If Orser is in a no win situation, why was he willing to take on Hanyu then? Is he really that desperate for fame? Of course, he has to take responsibility and/or blame for his skater's future success or failure. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, well, he can say 'no' to Hanyu.

That was my personal comment based exactly on posts like this. Orser does not operate from my POV. He is a professional, working and making decision on his own criteria instead of fan board opinions.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Like all coaches before him, Orser will be just fine if one of his students don't live up to expectations under his tutelage. I mean goodness, when has that ever ruined an established coach's career? Or are we seriously worried about how a grown, mature man who has handled losing the famed Battle of the Brians, being outted by a vengeful ex, and the coaching breakup with Yuna Kim which came with all sorts of seething recriminations from the public, to be unable to deal with the potential disappointment in a young student's career? Orser has been through some of the worst, most stressful public situations anybody can go through and came through to do even better.

I'm more worried about how Yuzuru might handle having a new coach and living in a new country, but really, not that worried. Yuzuru has proven to be plenty tough in his short, and (so far) less dramatic life.

FTnoona

Final Flight

I think only one poster expressed this sentiment, so there's no need to be so dramatic about it. This coaching change could be a good thing for Hanyu w/the intro of new styles. I would say that Hanyu is going to Orser is similar to Kim going to Orser since they both had solid jumps and techniques when they went. If anything, once Hanyu's style has evolved and he is still with Orser, Orser will most likely be credited with that.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Brian Boitano won the Olympics with his one and only long time coach Linda Lever. I love Yuzuru's Coach Abe, they sparkled together in the Kiss and Cry and will miss seeing them together. They seemed to have such a special relationship. It will be sad not to see Abe with Yuzuru at the Olympics!:no:

I agree. It's up to student's talent. Even the great Stanislav Zhuk used to say to his peer coaches and students. ''Don't work with mediocrity, but work with talent” . On the contrary, immature and unexperienced coaches are exaggerating their roles. But, I understand their situations. They got to earn money from mediocres' parents. As You know,the mediocre always outnumber the talents by the large margin.

Stanislav Zhuk didn't need to flatter mediocre students. In Soviet society, he got paychecks from the State, not from students. He acknowledged that coach is not omnipotent and limitless. He knows the limitation. That made him the greatest coach.

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Irina Rodnina won 2 Olympic Gold medals after they left him. Ironically,that explains why Great zhuk was right.

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty
I think only one poster expressed this sentiment, so there's no need to be so dramatic about it. This coaching change could be a good thing for Hanyu w/the intro of new styles. I would say that Hanyu is going to Orser is similar to Kim going to Orser since they both had solid jumps and techniques when they went. If anything, once Hanyu's style has evolved and he is still with Orser, Orser will most likely be credited with that.

Orser's track record as a coach is not particularly stellar considering the hype and the number of talents he has got. He'll try to make Hanyun another Yu Na Kim but I highly doubt they're a good fit.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Wow, this is surprising. I'm actually a bit worried about Yuzuru's future programme coreographies... I think Nanami Abe did great work with Yuzu's SP and LP this year and I really hope we're going to see him skating to some wonderful programmes in the future, too. I wonder why would he leave his long-time coach now that everything seems to be so fine... :/

As phaeljones said, this will be a test for Orser especially. I'm looking forward to the next season to see what happens with Yuzuru (and all the other skaters too, of course).

(Sorry for my bad English, it's hard to find the right words with a foreign language.)

Adeliza, welcome to the forum! :)

No, no, do not worry about your English. You are doing just fine!
I have already made mistakes a million times since the Valentine's Day. But they did not kick me out of this forum, well just yet. :biggrin:
If I can survise, so you can! :party:

suezeeq

Spectator
Is there any way we as fans can convince them to change this? It seems as though many of use are opposed to it, or are at least very iffy about it. I know there's probably not much we can do, but is it possible to at least contact Yuzuru or the JSF to try and talk to them about it?
Personally I'm extremely opposed to this change. I feel like it will do him no good at all, and will only make him worse. He's already been improving by leaps and bounds in the past few years. Yes his first year as a senior fantastic, but this year he just exploded in the figure skating world. Obviously he's making a lot of progress. I don't understand any rationale behind the change at all besides maybe the fact that Orser is a more well-known coach. I don't think Orser can help improve Yuzuru's stamina at all. What is he going to do? Give Yuzuru special techniques to train with? All athletes know that endurance comes with long practice and training your body to become used to hard work, nothing Orser does differently from Abe is going to change that. Wilson as a choreographer also worries me. I think Yuzuru's programs this year were choreographed excellently. And as for technique, Yuzuru already has his quad and triple axel down pretty consistently, I don't see what much more Orser could do for him.
Plus, yes like everyone else said, I love the relationship between Yuzuru and Nanami. Also, if Abe doesn't even get a chance to prove her ability as a coach, Japan is never going to be able to show off their amazing coaches. Yuzuru I don't think is very willing to make the switch. I just want to know if there's any way for us fans to communicate with him/JSF to protest this change.

suezeeq

Spectator
Well then that's horrible. It seems an awful lot like blackmailing to me: "If you want us to keep helping you with your finances, you better find a big name coach, or ELSE." Like what the heck. That's not cool.

figuristka

Medalist
I was surprise with both announcements for Patrick and Yuzuru. I want them both to skate to their potential. Though i love Daisuke too of course. Remember Daisuke went to Morozov, and iam sure learned something from him and returned to his coach Utako Nagamitsu. Perhaps returning to his old coach after learning something new was good for him. Perhaps Yuzuru can do the same.