All That Skate Spring 2012 (May 4-6) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

All That Skate Spring 2012 (May 4-6)

Yuna cries after her day 3 performance to Someone Like You:( What happened? Did she get so much emotional during performance? I just want to go hug her((((Yuna))))

shine

Record Breaker
Not sure if this has been posted.

Stephane "La donna e mobile", simply the best!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi8wkIegCOI&feature=relmfu

He's one of the main reasons why today's show skating shouldn't be trivialized IMO. His versatility and fertility continue to amaze and inspire!

He really pulls off Romantic operas really well with his upper body carriage and movement. But in terms of choreography and creativity, I think his other program My Body is a Cage is even more of a masterpiece, JMHO!

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Nothing? Their idols coming within a clear view is enough cause for ecstasy!

AFAIK, skaters love the Rock Star treatment.

True. And why not? They toil and persevere greater amount than 90% of rock stars, I bet. I've heard that some of them were nursing injuries entering this show. They deserve the treat from the fans, at least at show stages.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Some of these arm chair critics comment makes me :rolleye:

Yuna is going to what she want to do, she owes no one nothing even if she hang up her boot tomorrow or came dead last in her next competition. It still doesn't take anything off her records setting career and the spectacular OGM win.

If I pay $50 -$250 to see an ice shows that Yuna's show regularly commands, then I bl**dy well can shout my head off if I want to. The rest that are only after freebies can complain all you want lol!!!

Musically.. I don't believe it is about the music choices but what you do with it when it counts. There are values if someone can fully realise a really well done / interesting '3 blind mice' masterfully vs basturdising a so called 'worthy' classical music some skaters regularly get away with.

Yuna's ice shows has consistently proved it raises the bar in live entertainment experience with the best casts, the best set up and the most interesting programs around. It might not 100% satisfy the most ardent arm chair critics who is looking to pick on her every move, but they are going to do it anyway, in-and-outside of the competition. The important thing is whether she succeed in entertainment when it is time for entertainment, and succeed in competition when it is time for competition. These 2 are vastly different field of skating. Imo she kicked butts in both areas, no one else in the world past and present have succeeded in both, and are still able to carry the amount of flair, showmanship, great musicality, good humour funster quality in her Crazy Jazzy 'All of me' to that sort of deafening reception.

Pop Art might not appeal to all, but it doesn't mean there's no value in them. Commercially it is really great for the sport too, it means more spot lights for great skaters all over with their amazing programs, and more money coming to everyone's way. With her I have always got the impression she wins competitions so she can skate ice shows, while some skaters skate for competitions and skate shows to finance.

Last edited:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
With her I have always got the impression she wins competitions so she can skate ice shows, while some skaters skate for competitions and skate shows to finance.

Alas, and there is the enigma that is Yuna which has frustrated and puzzled her fans, judges, sport "purists", and powers that be.

And while not passing any judgement, there is something to be said about a skater who tears up after she performs an exhibition, where there is no medal to be won and no score to be kept.

But I have to admit, the greedy fan in me still want Yuna to defend her OGM at Sochi... because in this sporting world (sadly), records are eternal.. while art is fleeting...

.. because in this sporting world (sadly), records are eternal.. while art is fleeting...

Oh, I don't know about that. In the Youtube age great performances can be viewed over and over, while a sports record becomes a forgotten line in an old almanac.

I'm thinking Yuna's fee for skating outside her shows being skyrocking could be a factor for her not showing up in other intl shows and the fact that she doesn't need for other sources of income and she's insanely busy with other than skating: endorsement shooting, PC commitee, UNICEF contribution works, etc.

BUT Yuna is skating in Shen/Zhao's shows in July and this is the second time she's appearing in any shows besides her own.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh, I don't know about that. In the Youtube age great performances can be viewed over and over, while a sports record becomes a forgotten line in an old almanac.

Michelle Kwan's 1998 US Nationals LP at youtube: over 148 thousand views.
Torvill/Dean, Bolero, 1984 Olympics: Nearly two million views.
Usain Bolt, world record breaking races: Over 3.5 million views.

Just sayin'. Though I agree with the sentiment: records are made to be broken. I don't know who won the marathon in 28 BC, but I have read Euripdes, Sophocles and Aeschylus.

Last edited:
I liked Yuna skating to Adele, and she seemed to connect to it well, but hey, it is a valid criticism from Yuna fans (not uber) I said fans, to miss seeing what made her a champion. Her spins, spirals, footwork were never level 4 to me but when she was clean, and did the jumps, everything got better scores. Yuna is skating three hours a day, and We do not see someone close to who she was. I know it does not matter as her shows will sell out when she is 70 if she just gets pulled onto the ice.
I know her Korean ubers get very touchy of any criticism, but I have yet to see a great performance from Yuna after she got off the ice in Vancouver. Her gala skate, which was ok for me in Vancouver now looks better.

She has the best choreographer, and she has the ability. Look at the performances of the 2006 ladies OGM. Shizuka is sublimely beautiful and she seems to keep a high work ethic. I know kporea doesn't care- they are watching their Queen/rockstar/guru etc. But me as a fan and witness to two very good Olympic programs and others before it in her 4 years at the top of intl scene, I'm disappointed. I don't think she is giving a great effort. Maybe that is why she does not skate outside Korea at other shows she must get invited to. In a way, I wish she would come back so we could see a better Yuna. It is fun to see her fly into her triple-triples...She should hilight jumps as that is her claim to fame. I miss seeing them, and I do re-watch her Vancouver skates to remember how good Yuna used to be.

If you miss seeing Yuna with high technical content, you should beg her to compete. I miss her humongous jumps too but what can I, or we, do? She just doesn't want to do things that are too much burden for her. International fans don't mind if she jumps and fails but Korean media is highly likely to go nuts, bash her like her good'ol days are way behind her, with "BETTER RETIRE" campaigns.

I think your frustration and disappointment come from the fact that you mainly focus on technical contents that as you said, "made her champion."

But, I'd like to suggest, why not putting that aside for a while and just watch Yuna skate and move with every note of melody, along with lyrics of the music. She said in an interview right before Worlds in Moscow that she had peaked her technical strength in Vancouver and then she wanted to concentrate on developing more of her artistic aspect. She clearly wanted to be a different skater. From a technically superb skater which was key to her amateur career success to artistically developing skater. In that sense I'm all hail to the Queen for her dedication to the sport and visible improvements.

Personally I don't think we'll get to see her 3-3s, lutz, and flip in the future. Maybe if she decides to come back to competitive skating, she'd definitely, WITHOUT A DOUBT, bring the house down with those.

Just, just for a moment, pay a good attention to what Yuna does with music and with her skating, skateluvr. Focus on something happening. Getting frustrated over something never happening is not worth especially for a skater who's well moved on from that chapter.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yuna was exciting as a jumper and she had nice choreography that plaayed to her strength. Her weaknesses as an artist are very obvious in these once yearly show programs. It is obvious these are to keep her fans satisfied, skate a little and keep her value high. She really has to skate to continue to sell product. The tech content was why she won. Packaging. But Yuna does not have the turnout, extension, speed, spins, footwork to do much of a program without jumps dazzling us. Her ubers do not care-all is perfection, but I am disappointed. I realize now how much of what she did was so jump dependent with speed and took so much work. I think the shows are great to keep skaters skating. Stephane and a few other artists are worth this big ticket prices. I'd love to be there just for the craziness, but Yuna as we know her is pretty much gone, and not coming back. Too bad.

Well, while agreeing to disagree with you, I appreciate your voicing out your candid, honest opinion. It was nice to think about what Yuna, my favorite skater, could have done/could be doing.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I haven't had a chance to watch all the performances yet. So what was the verdict? Who has YuNa skated with?:biggrin:

L

lowtherlore

^^
Nobody. In case you haven't watched it thru, it was Caro who got lifted in honor of her first appearance in Yu-Na's shows and her well earned WC title. :)

Musically.. I don't believe it is about the music choices but what you do with it when it counts. There are values if someone can fully realise a really well done / interesting '3 blind mice' masterfully vs basturdising a so called 'worthy' classical music some skaters regularly get away with.

I agree. I don't quite get these complaints about over-used music. It's not what you skate to, as much as HOW you do it. Using an analogy, there are zillions of the Renaissance or the late Renaissance paintings on the sufferings of Jesus, but I can still find my favorite in Piero della Francesca's rendition of the flagellation, for its unique and profound view on both the theme and the form.

Speaking of my favorite skater, I'd love to see her and DW collaborate on, over-used or not, a Rachmaninoff, or a Ravel. I think she would rock it.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
alissa seemed to be having a blast in the i like the way you move program. such a contrast from worlds, i'm glad to see she was enjoying it. jumps need A LOT of work though.