Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

mskater93

Record Breaker
1) SLC was an early outing
2) She landed one less clean triple than Osmond did at her Senior B
3) No one skated really lights out at SLC (Gold and Zawadski had mistakes as well)
4) Sometimes when you ARE so determined and ready to attack, you make mistakes (like doubling jumps because you pick short/early)

Chuckm, I know you seem to have no love for Candian figure skating for whatever reasons, but did you actually see Lacoste's performance? I am not a huge fan of hers, but I actually saw determination and attack in her demeanor in a way that is hasn't been there before and I applaud the fact that she's not willing to give up without a fight. After screwing up the first jump, she could have just completely folded technically, but she didn't.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
3) No one skated really lights out at SLC (Gold and Zawadski had mistakes as well)
4) Sometimes when you ARE so determined and ready to attack, you make mistakes (like doubling jumps because you pick short/early)

Chuckm, I know you seem to have no love for Candian figure skating for whatever reasons, but did you actually see Lacoste's performance? I am not a huge fan of hers, but I actually saw determination and attack in her demeanor in a way that is hasn't been there before and I applaud the fact that she's not willing to give up without a fight. After screwing up the first jump, she could have just completely folded technically, but she didn't.

That's how I feel too. I've never been a huge Amelie fan, but I felt she came out with a solid outing at SLC. And mskater is right about being so eager to do something you do make mistakes, like Gracie did with her 2F-2T in the SP at SLC. Amelie has always played second fiddle to somebody be it Cynthia last year or Osmond this season, but she hasn't given up.

Also, I'm sure she has support and inspiration from Mervin Tran too (they're still dating, right?). I'm sure seeing him reach his goals would motivate her as well.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
No one mention it, but this skater Marianne Rioux-Ouellet deserve attention. She is a very consistent jumper in Junior level. I was wondering why she wasn't selected for Junior Grand Prix instead of Seguin.
Here is Marianne Rioux-Ouellet in Lombardia Trophy 2012 where she win the gold medal :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYcdyAcfdY

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, as a matter of fact I DID see Amelie's performance. I wasn't impressed, and didn't see anything improved about what she did, but she was third best of a generally subpar lot.

As for Osmond, she landed two 3fs and a 3z, and all three combinations: 3f+2t, 2a+3t, and 2a+2t+2t. Her TES was 59.15 to Lacoste's 47.99. NO comparison whatsoever.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Chuckm seems to think Amelie should hang them up...I see renewed passion and determination to meet her goals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What Amelie needs is technical consistency. Passion and determination won't help much if she can't land the jumps she's planned. IMO, Amelie is unlikely to become technically proficient after ten years of international competition with mediocre results.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
She landed her first 3F's in a long time at SLC and landed some nice 3Lzs in practice and warm up at SLC (also for the first time in a long time), so maybe, just maybe, she has made some improvements over the summer. Didn't Wagner have "mediocre results" for 4 years on the international (and even national) scene and found the right mix of coaching, choreography and training regimen in the last year and a half to suddenly become a factor (US Champ, 4C champ, 4th at Worlds, JO winner) when everyone basically said she was also done (or should be done)? Yes, Lacoste is older than Wagner and has been on the scene longer but perhaps last season's fight to get the World spot has spurred her on?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She landed her first 3F's in a long time at SLC and landed some nice 3Lzs in practice and warm up at SLC (also for the first time in a long time), so maybe, just maybe, she has made some improvements over the summer. Didn't Wagner have "mediocre results" for 4 years on the international (and even national) scene and found the right mix of coaching, choreography and training regimen in the last year and a half to suddenly become a factor (US Champ, 4C champ, 4th at Worlds, JO winner) when everyone basically said she was also done (or should be done)? Yes, Lacoste is older than Wagner and has been on the scene longer but perhaps last season's fight to get the World spot has spurred her on?

I will always stand up for someone who is willing to go for it and do what it takes to make changes in his or her career. I will also stand up for someone who wants to be out there.

I get that from Amelie, hence my reasoning to stand up for her in this thread. And given the current weakness of the Canadian program -- with Osmond as the only real competition at this point; I don't think the rising juniors are that big of a threat -- I don't see any reason why should should give up. The door has opened with Cynthia retiring and I think she sees an opportunity.

geoskate

On the Ice
No one mention it, but this skater Marianne Rioux-Ouellet deserve attention. She is a very consistent jumper in Junior level. I was wondering why she wasn't selected for Junior Grand Prix instead of Seguin.

Here's why she wasn't considered for the JGP:

1. Marianne's summer competitions
- Minto Summer Skate long program only 63.24 points.
- Quebec Summer competition short program 37.53, long 57.18, total 94.71.
- She was fourth in novice last season.

2. Julianne's summer competitions:
- Minto Summer Skate short program 52.15, long program 82.49 (landed a triple flip) total 134.62
- Quebec Summer Skate short program 45.47, long program 73.75; total 119.22
- She was junior bronze medallist last season.

It was a very clearcut decision in Julianne's favour, IMO for JGP assignments.

Nevertheless, there's no doubt that Marianne is talented and could become a factor in Canadian ladies in the next season or two. Do you have a link to the results from the Lombarda trophy? I understand there were other Quebec skaters there also.

ETA: The link is here: http://www.sestoiceskatenews.it/1/results_lombardia_trophy_2012_2764526.html

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
Prediction for SCI? With the depth of the field, does either Lacoste or Osmond have a shot at podium? Who will place higher of Lacoste or Osmond?

I will predict Osmond 4th, Lacoste 7th.