Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Wow, Alaine Chartrand did well in the SP :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuiPhYmSqU&feature=plcp
Great to see that she attemps the combination triple lutz/triple toe. It was to my eyes a clean triple lutz and a fast triple toe clean with no speed at all. I find that Skate Canada have did their best choice for the Junior Grand Prix so far, Seguin, Chartrand and Daleman are very promising for the future. (And, sometimes I find that they are better than our actual top 5 Canadian except Kaetlyn Osmond :p )

hohoho

On the Ice
I think there could definitely be a "changing of the guard" for the Ladied national team. These kids are going for everything and realizing that they all have a chance at nationals.

Hopefully as they get older they keep what they have and get better

mariposa

Rinkside
While I'm glad Alaine attempted the triple lutz/triple toe, but from what I saw watching no way was the lutz clean and the toe is questionable....maybe my eye is as not well trained as the next but it sure looked cheated to me...i hope she continues and keeps improving. She's a lovely skater.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Alaine did a great free skate at Junior Grand Prix, Lake Placid :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWrDM0xfqI&feature=plcp

And she has passed the minimum technical score (48 points) to compete at the world championships (for the free skate only) : She has earn 49,51, Good for her! :)

I'm so proud of these news generation of young skaters they aren't headcase compare to our older Canadian ladies.

hohoho

On the Ice
Chartrand may have the technical (with improvement there required). And who does her choreography ( or lack thereof). Nice spins but the choreography is very poor. Good effort though on her 1st JGP.

hohoho

On the Ice
SC gives the TBA spot to SCI to ------- Shelepen (Russia). How disappointing to Desanctis and Charbonneau

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not quite unexpected---DeSanctis and Charbonneau haven't sparkled in their summer comps and they weren't sent to any Intl Bs. Seems like Skate Canada is putting their money on Osmond. That's fine, but if (heaven forbid!) she gets injured, then what?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Not quite unexpected---DeSanctis and Charbonneau haven't sparkled in their summer comps and they weren't sent to any Intl Bs. Seems like Skate Canada is putting their money on Osmond. That's fine, but if (heaven forbid!) she gets injured, then what?

Then we don't (likely) qualify for Worlds 2013, and even if we do, we definitely don't qualify for Olympics. Joannie comes back because Canada will still be a top ten nation, and nations that are top ten get a spot dedicated to them in the team event regardless if they've qualified for the individual event.

Seriously, I half expect this to happen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I cannot believe that Skate Canada give their spot for Polina Shelepen. She doesn't deserve it at all. :mad:
It really necessary that our canadian ladies make international competition for better experience and be knowing by the judges. Alexandra Najarro, Adrianna Desanctis and Myriane Samson could have be a better choice.

What a shame!!! I hope that they can remove Shelepen and replace her by a Canadian ladies.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Any updates on whether Alexe Gilles may try to skate for Canada at least for next season 2013-14? I understand her mother is in the process of getting Canadian citizenship, which would open the door for similar for Alexe. I thought she was only about 20, which isn't exactly over the hill. Or have her skills just fallen back too far?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Any updates on whether Alexe Gilles may try to skate for Canada at least for next season 2013-14? I understand her mother is in the process of getting Canadian citizenship, which would open the door for similar for Alexe. I thought she was only about 20, which isn't exactly over the hill. Or have her skills just fallen back too far?
I saw a video of her SP this summer, and her jumps looked really unstable, Lacoste or Osmond would easily beat her... And the citizenship's change under the ISU rules requires a year, so it would be long, difficult and it wouldn't change a lot for her...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexe Gilles was clearly out of shape at Thornhill. She's been away from serious competitive skating for a while now, having failed to make it to Nationals two years in a row. The year she won the US Junior Championship, she wasn't a consistent jumper, but she wasn't facing tough competition.

herios

Medalist
Then we don't (likely) qualify for Worlds 2013, and even if we do, we definitely don't qualify for Olympics. Joannie comes back because Canada will still be a top ten nation, and nations that are top ten get a spot dedicated to them in the team event regardless if they've qualified for the individual event.

Seriously, I half expect this to happen.
Based on the form she showed in SLC, Amelie seems to be at her best ever in her areer. She will have a chance to improve further in her GP assignments and hopefully will do it.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I don't understand all of the hand wringing on behalf of Najarro and DeSanctis. Neither of these skaters would get out of qualifying at Worlds. Neither has made any significant improvements in their skating, and at this point, I doubt that they will. Both skate far better at Canadians than they ever have on their international assignments.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Amelie was the least bit consistent from one competition to the next, it might be possible to make predictions about her future. But she isn't. While Amelie appeared to skate well at SLC, she landed only one combination---and failed to make the ISU minimum score for Worlds.

In the weak SLC ladies field, she did enough to earn a medal, but in a tougher competition (such as GP or 4CC) she'd be unlikely to finish near a podium, and the marking would be less generous.

hohoho

On the Ice
I agree Chuckm. She did a good short program in SLC. It was an ok Free program. And the marking in the short/free was generous. Lets see when the cameras and pressure is on at SCI what she will do.

heyhey

On the Ice
It's still early to predict but here goes: Rochette is not coming back to competitive skating (she is earning a comfortable living with shows and appearances and even if she wanted to return to competitive skating would her old coach Manon Perron work with her..), Phaneuf is done due to injury, Lacoste will be average this year but I have to agree with chuckm that the lack of consistency really hurts her - thus that leaves Osmond. I think that if she is given the right support from Skate Canada - she will continue to surprise us. I think the competition between Lacoste and Osmond is healthy. I guess that no news from Myriame Samson means that she is done...