Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

nadster

Final Flight
That's a ridiculous excuse. It's a well-known fact that few Senior Pairs show up for "B"s with the exception of Nebelhorn and maybe NRW S&P. For most of the "B"s, there are enough Senior Men and Ladies to earn points and provide competitive experience.

It would make far more sense for Canada to be very selective for Pairs, but why penalize the Singles skaters and dancers because there aren't enough competitive pairs in "B"s? It's cutting off the nose to spite the face. No wonder Canadian ladies are in such a sorry state.

Totally agree. The other problem is that even when SC sends skaters to events other than Nebelhorn, those results are ignored even when the skaters in the other events skate better. Getting a senior B other than Nebelhorn puts you in the reject pile for serious SC TBA slots.

I remember when Duhamel finished 2nd at Zagreb ( a senior B but not Nebelhorn ) and Duhamel still did not get any consideration for any slots. It is a pity that as a singles skater she always competed better internationally than domestically as that factor really killed her in Canada.

Skate Canada will likely only look at Nebelhorn results even if other skaters do better at other senior B events. That has always been the case. SC has to start treating all senior B's reasonably equally ( the ISU sure does point wise and SB wise ).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It should be noted that International "B"s are not reflected on the SEASONS BEST score list. SB list events are JGP, GP, Euros, 4CC, JW, Worlds and WTC.

hohoho

On the Ice
I will go out on a limb here and predict the following:

Osmond/Phaneuf to Nebelhorn
Desanctis/Najarro to Salt Lake City

With Osmond going Senior, the JGP could be:
Daleman - 2
Purich - 2
Seguin - 1
Dunley - 1

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I think Mira Leung should make a comeback. :)
I just saw her videos on youtube and I can not believe how Skate Canada did not give her respect and have not helped her to develop her potential.

Mira Leung has really great control of nerve in competition. She was much better than today's Canadian (except Osmond). She had two triple lutz and two triple flip in her past program. It's Such A Shame. Today, She Would Be much appreciated Than Phaneuf and Lacoste ...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Leung had a huge underrotation problem (go look at her INTERNATIONAL protocols, not those from Canadian National Championships), a "skary skating mother", and a coach that didn't push fixing her weaknesses (under-rotations and skating skills).

hohoho

On the Ice
Mira got lost in the Joannie/Phaneuf time. Again SC put everything into a select few (was more evident this year with a 4CC skateoff), making it very evident their pick was Phaneuf and not Lacoste. SC also stated after the National Short that if Osmond won nationals she would go to Worlds. They don't seem happy with Lacoste. Lacoste had to get SCI because of being national champion and her WR. SC didn't have any choice. As for the TBA for SCI, I believe it will be filled with a Canadian skater, but who. SC seems to be losing confidence in Phaneuf (especially after WTT). Samson may be a factor. Najarro is a mess on Internationals. Desanctis skated well at Nationals and did SCI last year. I don't expect Joannie back. She did her time. But you never know. Charbonneau seems to be OK on Internationals. She had a good Nationals. From all of the above, I would select DeSanctis for the TBA.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Mira got lost in the Joannie/Phaneuf time. Again SC put everything into a select few (was more evident this year with a 4CC skateoff), making it very evident their pick was Phaneuf and not Lacoste. SC also stated after the National Short that if Osmond won nationals she would go to Worlds. They don't seem happy with Lacoste. Lacoste had to get SCI because of being national champion and her WR. SC didn't have any choice. As for the TBA for SCI, I believe it will be filled with a Canadian skater, but who. SC seems to be losing confidence in Phaneuf (especially after WTT). Samson may be a factor. Najarro is a mess on Internationals. Desanctis skated well at Nationals and did SCI last year. I don't expect Joannie back. She did her time. But you never know. Charbonneau seems to be OK on Internationals. She had a good Nationals. From all of the above, I would select DeSanctis for the TBA.

Me too, I would select Desanctis for the TBA, because Desanctis was average all season and great at Canadian Nationals. :clap: Also, she does have better control of nerve in competition than Najarro and Phaneuf.
(Even if I like Najarro and Phaneuf, I wish that theses 2 demonstrate great showing at international B competition this year, for to have much confidence to put them into the BIG competition next year.)

And, I wish that Lacoste would not be credit this year. If she skate as badly as this year (no triple lutz, no triple flip), I wish that Osmond or Desanctis beat her.

nadster

Final Flight
I will go out on a limb here and predict the following:

Osmond/Phaneuf to Nebelhorn
Desanctis/Najarro to Salt Lake City

With Osmond going Senior, the JGP could be:
Daleman - 2
Purich - 2
Seguin - 1
Dunley - 1

I would hope that Charbonneau gets a senior B as well. I reckon she would handle the pressure better than Najarro. Also Samson , if healthy should get one.

As far as the JGP slots, there are other ladies to consider like Jayda Jurome who has a consistent triple lutz. It is a pity she missed novice nationals due to injury but she won the novice challenge.

This year is exciting as many young ones have stepped up ( exciting seeing a few juniors and novices land something other than toe and salchow for once ).

I am glad Osmond is on the senior GP circuit as it opens up places for more of the young ones on the JGP.

hohoho

On the Ice
SC has the opportunity to maximize its youth development with Osmond doing GP. I would count of her doing a Senior B. Hence, the more I think about it you may see Najarro, Charbonneau and other youth sent to Senior B events. I still think DeSanctis for TBA at SCI. As for who does the JGP events, I hope SC does not accept anyone who doesn't do a "meaningful" summer competition where they have competition regardless of how Challenge or Nationals went. At these kids age so much can change in a few months.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd expect to see at least 2 Canadian ladies at the new ISU B in Salt Lake City UT in September, and 2 at Nebelhorn two weeks later. If Skate Canada isn't willing to invest some $ in developing their ladies, then they deserve the results they get.

hohoho

On the Ice
Hopefully they do take advantage of the Salt Lake City Senior B. There is also Finlandia

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Skate Canada has its 2012-2013 assignments page up.

So far only the senior GP assignments are listed.

The 2 senior B's listed ( no one assigned yet ) are Nebelhorn and Finlandia. Salt Lake City is not listed.

hohoho

On the Ice
Nadster, I believe the Senior B's are still on website from last year. I think SC only used Nebelhorn and V/M used Finlandia prior to GP.

nadster

Final Flight
Nadster, I believe the Senior B's are still on website from last year. I think SC only used Nebelhorn and V/M used Finlandia prior to GP.

Nope website with 2012 - 2013 assignments is here.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/development/highperformance/internationalassignments.aspx

Note the JGP's ( ie the names of the competitions ) for this year aren't even listed yet.

Just note that Findlandia and Nebelhorn are the only ones listed. It will be interesting to see how many entries SLC gets.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Is Skating losing popularity in Canada like in the USA?

Skating has an enthusiastic group of supporters among a certain demographic in Canada (mostly the older generation), but it's pretty much a niche sport that the vast majority of Canadians watch once every four years when figure skating happens to be on primetime TV. Seriously...I am Canadian, and when we were watching the last Olympics together, my oblivious friends asked me if I thought Michelle Kwan had a chance of finally winning an OGM. :rolleye:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
HTML:
Skating has an enthusiastic group of supporters among a certain demographic in Canada (mostly the older generation), but it's pretty much a niche sport that the vast majority of Canadians watch once every four years when figure skating happens to be on primetime TV. Seriously...I am Canadian, and when we were watching the last Olympics together, my oblivious friends asked me if I thought Michelle Kwan had a chance of finally winning an OGM. :rolleye:

If Kwan can do a lutz, she'd win the 2013 Canadian title.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really would like to see Rochette come back and see what she cand do without another tragedy. Can she still jump other than the toe loop and salchow? Mind you 4 triples and 3 2A and good PCS she could win in Canada.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I think Mira Leung should make a comeback. :)
I just saw her videos on youtube and I can not believe how Skate Canada did not give her respect and have not helped her to develop her potential.

I'm sorry but Skate Canada gave Leung every possible opportunity to succeed. It was Leung and her mother who consistently shot themselves in the foot. Her mother drove her from rink to rink and coached her to jump, jump, jump, all without proper technique. Mira hung around while other skaters received lessons listening in so they wouldn't have to pay for private lessons for Mira, and had costumes made with "growing room" even after Mira stopped growing.

You can't prepare an elite athlete on the cheap. Even after Skate Canada told the Leungs they wanted to see the money they gave Mira reflected on the ice, the Leungs resisted. Mira's mother was not a coach and over the years Mira's technique got worse and worse. MacLeod fired her.

Leung might have been a decent skater if not for her mother, but that one was not to be deterred.