Shibutanis to attend state dinner in Washington for Prime Minister of Japan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shibutanis to attend state dinner in Washington for Prime Minister of Japan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shibs won the NHK GP competition this last year; a little factoid; they have been visible in Japan.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Shibs now have written at length (on IN) about their entire experience. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. They provided photos as well.

Their inside look gives a vivid sense not only of the distinguished event, but also of the multifaceted Shibs themselves. For example, they spent the afternoon before the dinner reading up on US diplomacy and the Asia-Pacific region, but their narrative conveys a lot of high-spirited humor and lightheartedness as well as maturity and respectfulness.

:rock: It sounds like Dr. Cronin was pleased to take them under his wing a little. :)

My fave: Alex: "At the end of the speeches, there was a toast. Having just turned 21 the week before, I was happy to raise my glass of white wine. People at our table smiled sweetly at Maia as she gamely did her best to improvise, holding up her tumbler of water with each toast." :)

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Maia is such a lovely writer! I knew Alex was chock-full of humor, but I had no idea Maia had such a gift for words as well :love:

Binthere

On the Ice
I will love watching Maia and Alex continue on their journey. I loved watching the journey that Michelle went through from her triumphs and challenges, from her growth as a pony-tailed teenager to the young woman that so many admire. It will be a similar joy watching Maia and Alex progress, not just as skaters, but as people as well.

Skating fans seem so quick to criticize them, especially after the unprecedented season they had last year. Even the conversation on this thread went so quickly to a guessing game about whether they were going to be switching countries in an opportunistic way. While I can understand the speculation, it seems a very narrow minded perspective. It seems to miss the important points entirely.

There is significance behind their being recognized as athletes who could play positive roles, not just as skaters competing for country A or B, but also as Secretary Clinton said as "future leaders." I think it is great that someone from the skating world is even being noticed and is able to "represent".

I enjoy watching Maia and Alex skate, but also Alex makes me laugh, and lovely Maia makes me smile. I also really appreciate that the chemistry between them is genuine.

To me, they have become the kind of athletes that, regardless of whether they "win, lose or draw" it will not affect how much I will admire them as people. After a certain point, to be a loyal fan, to me it is about admiring and believing in the athletes' attitude and character as well. In this way especially, I am looking forward to watching Mana and Alex grow up before our eyes in the years to come.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
I will love watching Maia and Alex continue on their journey. I loved watching the journey that Michelle went through from her triumphs and challenges, from her growth as a pony-tailed teenager to the young woman that so many admire. It will be a similar joy watching Maia and Alex progress, not just as skaters, but as people as well.

Skating fans seem so quick to criticize them, especially after the unprecedented season they had last year. Even the conversation on this thread went so quickly to a guessing game about whether they were going to be switching countries in an opportunistic way. While I can understand the speculation, it seems a very narrow minded perspective. It seems to miss the important points entirely.

There is significance behind their being recognized as athletes who could play positive roles, not just as skaters competing for country A or B, but also as Secretary Clinton said as "future leaders." I think it is great that someone from the skating world is even being noticed and is able to "represent".

I enjoy watching Maia and Alex skate, but also Alex makes me laugh, and lovely Maia makes me smile. I also really appreciate that the chemistry between them is genuine.

To me, they have become the kind of athletes that, regardless of whether they "win, lose or draw" it will not affect how much I will admire them as people. After a certain point, to be a loyal fan, to me it is about admiring and believing in the athletes' attitude and character as well. In this way especially, I am looking forward to watching Mana and Alex grow up before our eyes in the years to come.

Beautiful post, and in total agreement with everything you said!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I too love this post! Thank you. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

To me, they have become the kind of athletes that, regardless of whether they "win, lose or draw" it will not affect how much I will admire them as people. After a certain point, to be a loyal fan, to me it is about admiring and believing in the athletes' attitude and character as well. In this way especially, I am looking forward to watching Maia and Alex grow up before our eyes in the years to come.

I couldn't have said it better! :love: and respect the Shibs so much!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Binthere you win the post of the week!

Very well written article which was very humorous too. The bit about the lamb wrap was so funny, been there done that.
Gorgeous photos.

Binthere you win the post of the week!

I agree. You point out the extra dimension of skating, and indeed of all sports. The athletes who take part, of all ages, often use sports as a way to become fuller participants in life. Over on one of the off-topic threads, I was talking about one of the contestants on Dancing with the Stars, the football player Donald Driver. From early in his career, he has been active in charity work especially in his home state of Wisconsin, including a children's hospital. Many athletes, including some of our favorite skaters, do work like this. What is it that makes some people look further out toward the horizon than others?