Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think she would come back unless she thought she could win. Unlike Witt, who came back to a sport that had surpassed her technically, YuNa at her peak would still win. For YuNa to not medal in Sochi she will have to skate significantly worse than she did in Vancouver. The drop in level, rather than the actual result, could stop her from coming back. But if she feels like she can achieve that same level I'm sure she will.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
the past has nothing to do with a comeback, based on his current form from his recent EX
he isn't in top form and what are his motivations, to get more publicity for what ?
thats why I see Weir has better chance of a good comeback results

quadless Evan is also technically deficient
let's afce it, not everyone is like Pluschenko who is a God and can comeback anytime

anfd there is no need for Evan as Brown is by far the US superior skater if he can develop just in time for 2014 and also the lesser talent Farris although not as good as Brown technically or artistically can have better impact that Evan's comeback

:laugh: people say Evan can't make a convincing comeback because he doesn't have a quad, and Jason doesn't even have a 3a yet! Anyways, about this whole "lesser talent" that is Farris, have you seen his 3a? Evan and Jason WISH they had a 3a like Josh Farris... Further, the last time Evan attempted a quad in competition (2010 Nats) it was a hot mess, compared to Farris' 4t attempt at 2012 Nationals which was a really good attempt very close to full rotation.

Jason is not the answer until he starts attempting and landing 3a and some sort of quad in his competitive programs. Simple as that. Whether you care for his artistry or not, Josh Farris has better chances than Evan or Jason because at least he is attempting 3a and 4t in competition, period.

Evan can be competitive if he comes back, retains his 2010 form, starts attempting (at minimum) one quad in the FS and can at least rotate it consistently, and hopes his skary 3a technique doesn't make that jump inconsistent and that his PCS are as monstrous as they were in the 09-10 season. That's quite a tall order, so I tend to think he won't come back.

Johnny's odds are better because it appears he has a quad and his 3a is stronger than Evan's.

Jason Brown is going nowhere until he gets a 3a, and probably until he gets a 3a and a quad.

Josh Farris can feasibly pass Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and all others save Abbott and maybe a convincing Johnny or Evan comeback as early as next season so long as he delivers in competitions and is consistently trying the 4t in his FS (which is the plan), he has the goods to do so and we saw how high his PCS got at JW, they are comparable to Rippon/Miner international PCS and higher than Dornbush international PCS. Unless Jason gets a 3a and quad in the course of the offseason, he won't be able to do this.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
I think 24th for Yuna would be a disaster and S. Korea's suicide rate would increase. I think Yuna just winging it without the killer drive to podium is a terrible idea. Have Americans and her intl fans so quickly forgotten the threads on Alissa after her great showing? This is KIM YUNA OGM whose fans would be sick at the mere thought of 24th!

Well lucky for us that won't happen. Even Alissa couldn't get lower than 22nd despite falling on every jump in her programs at Worlds. We've already seen what Yuna is like without the killer drive--Worlds 2010 and 2011. She's admitted as much that she was pressured to go despite her own reluctance.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, YuNa would never get 24th even if she didn't skate her best! The worst I could see her is like 12th with a total meltdown.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's just an issue that Kim Yu-Na's results in 2010 and 2011 worlds weren't much different than her results at 2007 and 2008 worlds. Mistakes all over but still at a very high an impressive level pre Olympics, Post Olympics she's incosistent at a high level. Even 2009-2010 Pre Olympics Skate America 2009. Best competitions 2009 worlds and 2010 Olympics. Now it's possible that she could gather tremendous focus and pre olympic worlds and the olympics but outside of that she doesn't ever really have great focus or trouble with pressure or just makes mistakes except twice.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Her ubers (Koreans) seem to have left skating boards as they know she won't be back.. It is too bad it (her run) did not bring more long term fans to skating that does not involve Yuna.

People can't accept that she does not like competition any more. It'd be fun to see her but no one wants to see bad skating from a former champ just to please her fed and fan base. At her 2010 level she could win, but we all know shows are what make her happy. And so lucrative, too.

icewalker

Spectator
Her ubers (Koreans) seem to have left skating boards as they know she won't be back.. It is too bad it (her run) did not bring more long term fans to skating that does not involve Yuna.

People can't accept that she does not like competition any more. It'd be fun to see her but no one wants to see bad skating from a former champ just to please her fed and fan base. At her 2010 level she could win, but we all know shows are what make her happy. And so lucrative, too.

^THIS. Sometimes I get annoyed when I go to forums and some of her fans are like, I've stopped watching FS because Yuna isn't competing anymore. :disapp: I think if KSF wants to have representation in Sochi, Yuna may have to return because the current crop of Korean skaters are, sorry to say it - mediocre (but Park So-Youn is promising :) ). But if she wants that, that is another question.

cosmos

On the Ice
Yeah, you'll have scores of pyscho koreans screaming death threats, insults and cuss you out if she did poorly and anyone criticize their precious yuna.

What a non-sense! When YuNa skated poorly (as in 2010 Worlds) and there were people who criticized her, did Koreans scream death threats, insults and curse? I think you are the psycho.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.

The jump that determined the 2010 Olympic Champion was not a quad, but a double loop. Had Plushenko not omitted the 2Lo that he had planned to do in combination, then he would be Olympic Champion. Lysacek completed 12 jumps in his LP (8 in the bonus) and Plushenko completed 11 jumps in his LP (4 in the bonus)

gmyers

Record Breaker
There is no evidence of that. The GOE that would have been deducted because he hadn't done a 3 jump combo all season and it may have been crap would have likely cancelled out the value of that jump or it would have caused another mistake that was afflicting him all season in SP's or LPs. Plus he already did something no one else at the Olympics accomplished. Quad triple and 3A. No else did that! So the problem was doing a quad was not worth a double loop. A clear and obvious display of athletic superiority was outscored by horrible rules that were changed.

Last edited:
There is no evidence of that. The GOE that would have been deducted because he hadn't done a 3 jump combo all season and it may have been crap would have likely cancelled out the value of that jump or it would have caused another mistake that was afflicting him all season in SP's or LPs. Plus he already did something no one else at the Olympics accomplished. Quad triple and 3A. No else did that! So the problem was doing a quad was not worth a double loop. A clear and obvious display of athletic superiority was outscored by horrible rules that were changed.
I can see that you're still angry about men's result at Vancouver. It's been over two years, just let it go. Bygones are bygones. If you keep holding onto it, it is not gonna do any good for you. Moreover the next Oly is coming up soon and we shouls focus on that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I can see that you're still angry about men's result at Vancouver. It's been over two years, just let it go. Bygones are bygones. If you keep holding onto it, it is not gonna do any good for you. Moreover the next Oly is coming up soon and we shouls focus on that.

It has been over two years but it is still a fact! How awful. And 2014 unfortunately can't undo 2010 but it looks like mens skating will be back toward progression and not go backwards. It was the topic starter and Skateluvr who brought up all the details of 2010 and why people are fine with Arakawa and some have problems with Lysacek. If Cohen or Slutskaya had skated with triple triples and didn't fall and Arakawa still won some would surely find that controversial! But her opponents literally fell and held back. Discussing 2010 and the current Olympic champion and the programs of that year winners/losers is fine to me!

It has been over two years but it is still a fact! How awful. And 2014 unfortunately can't undo 2010 but it looks like mens skating will be back toward progression and not go backwards. It was the topic starter and Skateluvr who brought up all the details of 2010 and why people are fine with Arakawa and some have problems with Lysacek. If Cohen or Slutskaya had skated with triple triples and didn't fall and Arakawa still won some would surely find that controversial! But her opponents literally fell and held back. Discussing 2010 and the current Olympic champion and the programs of that year winners/losers is fine to me!
Okay. Your explanation makes it understandable bringing that up. And fyi I too share your points. I was just easing the fact that agitated manner only worsens those kinds of agony;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny's odds are better because it appears he has a quad and his 3a is stronger than Evan's.

Weir has a quad??? As far as I remember he never has jumped a successful, fully rotated quad in competition. And lots of people have had the opinion that the quads on the recent video clips were also twofooted or underrotated. Weir´s Olympic freeskate showed that he was not able to skate to a CoP programme with transitions in 2010. Surely otherwise he had skated to a programme to bring PCS...

About Yu-Na, I doubt that she is coming back, but would welcome her with enthusiasm.

If Cohen or Slutskaya had skated with triple triples and didn't fall and Arakawa still won some would surely find that controversial! But her opponents literally fell and held back. Discussing 2010 and the current Olympic champion and the programs of that year winners/losers is fine to me!

CoP was a bit different in 2006... Besides, wasn´t Plushenko´s 2006 freeskate used as an example for judges of bad choreography. If Plushenko had skated to a good choreography and without several shaky looking jumps, he would have won in 2010 and deserved it. Instead he and his team chose to ignore CoP choreography, and today it seems that they have learned their lesson. On the other hand in that time Plushenko still got high scores for choreography and transitions, LOL. If the judging had been rightful, Takahashi would have gotten the silver, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. Plushenko gets high PCS for having absolutely no choreography and poor spins and few transitions. Sorry but waving your hands around and flailing all over the ice is not doing transitions.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If the judging was proper in Vancouver Takahashi would have won gold. His short program should have beaten Evan's by about 5 or 6 points, and their long programs should have scored about the same. I wonder if Nichol has some major political pull as well given that all her key students are blatantly overscored (Lysacek, Chan, Sale & Pelletier, etc...). Boy Kwan was dumb to leave her and all the free points being connected to Nichols apparently brings, she probably would have won in SLC even with her fall.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Weir has a quad??? As far as I remember he never has jumped a successful, fully rotated quad in competition. And lots of people have had the opinion that the quads on the recent video clips were also twofooted or underrotated. Weir´s Olympic freeskate showed that he was not able to skate to a CoP programme with transitions in 2010. Surely otherwise he had skated to a programme to bring PCS...

At least there's recent footage of Johnny attempting and landing quads, whether or not they are cheated or twofooted...the same cannot be said for Evan. When was the last time he landed a quad in competition?

l'etoile, thank you for your constructive and cool-headed posts on this thread. :rock:

When I click on this link I get a warning, purportedly from "Google Safe Browsing Diagnostics" saying that this site has been infected by trojans and other malware that can harm your computer. Now I am kind of afraid to give it a look.

^^ Thank you, Mathman:D

I just ignored the warning and so far nothing's wrong with my computer. I'll find another way to present this video though.

Last edited: